What would happen if...

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Slyhter
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

What would happen if...

Post by Slyhter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 pm

So, I was wondering what would happen if a wolf pack would happen to stumble upon a lone puppy. I know this is highly unlikely seeing as how many packs would never leave their pups in a rival packs' land, but saying if it did happen. Would would the alpha pair do with the pup? Would they take it into their own pack and raise it? Which I don't think they would or would they kill it or leave it to die by itself in the wild?
When the last wolf howls, then I shall raise from the dusk, and devour the packs.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: What would happen if...

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:49 pm

I really not sure, but i think the pack would have to raise it...
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Slyhter wrote:So, I was wondering what would happen if a wolf pack would happen to stumble upon a lone puppy. I know this is highly unlikely seeing as how many packs would never leave their pups in a rival packs' land, but saying if it did happen. Would would the alpha pair do with the pup? Would they take it into their own pack and raise it? Which I don't think they would or would they kill it or leave it to die by itself in the wild?
The odds of the dominant pair taking a lone pup into their own pack, is highly unlikely. First off, the pack is already focused on the survival of themselves, therefore the pup would be another mouth to feed. Genetic competition also applies to this situation. The pack would not raise a pup from a stranger pack because it's considered Genetic Competition. Either way, this topic should provide a bit of information as well:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... g#p1034776

Hopefully this helps! ^^

Also, just to clarify, wolf packs do not have ranks and terms such as alpha, beta, etc. ;) It is an outdated term that is no longer relevant. You can learn more about wolf pack hierarchy here:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=942
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:37 pm

BlackWarrior is correct but I wanted to clarify that the terms are inaccurate for wild wolves as they do not have such assemblages; however, the terms are still accurate for captive wolves because they are generally composed of unrelated animals, whereas wild wolves typically consist of a breeding pair and their offspring and occasionally an unrelated wolf, although this is rare. Here is a very in-depth resource and document regarding (briefly) how the terms, i.e. alpha, came to be and detailed explanations as to why they are no longer deemed accurate.
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mamm ... /intro.htm

Edwina
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Edwina » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 pm

i actually read in a book of wolf experts tha insect is possible but it depends, they will take it in to rais as there own so the pack is bigger and stronger, claim it as there own, but usually only small packs, or a mother who lost one of her own pups, but other times they would kill it, so they would make sure that no other pack could get stronger then them, and so they can keep there territory. that might be a little off because it as a little while ago since i read it, and i cant find the book to make sure im right, so it is possible im wrong and am thinking of another animal, but im sure its the wolf, but im sure it is possible. hope that helped ^^

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Since the question has mainly been answered, I will be locking this now. Thank you, everyone!

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis