Digging Question

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Digging Question

Post by 1BitJay » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:28 am

Is digging a common behavior for wolves? If so, do they use it to store away food?
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Sintact

Re: Digging Question

Post by Sintact » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:13 am

Answering your question:
Wolves are carnivores, or meat eaters. Gray wolves prey primarily on ungulates - large, hoofed mammals such as white-tailed deer, mule deer, moose, elk, caribou, bison, Dall sheep, musk oxen, and mountain goats. Medium-sized mammals, such as beaver and snowshoe hares, can be an important secondary food source. Occasionally wolves will prey on birds or small mammals such as mice and voles, but these are supplementary to their requirements for large amounts of meat. Wolves have been observed catching fish in places like Alaska and western Canada. They will also kill and eat domestic livestock such as cattle and sheep, and they will consume carrion if no fresh meat is available. Some wolves eat small amounts of fruit, although this is not a significant part of their diet. If prey is abundant, wolves may not consume an entire carcass, or they may leave entire carcasses without eating. This is called "surplus killing" and seems inconsistent with the wolves' habit of killing because they are hungry. Surplus killing seems to occur when prey are vulnerable and easy to catch - in winter, for instance, when there is deep snow. Since wolves are programmed to kill when possible, they may simply be taking advantage of unusual situations when wild prey are relatively easy to catch They may return later to feed on an unconsumed carcass, or they may leave it to a host of scavengers. Additionally, they may cache food and dig it up at a later time.

Red wolves primarily prey on white-tailed deer, raccoons, rabbits, nutria and other rodents.
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/faqs/faq.asp#18

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:43 am

To give some more visual detail, think about a domestic dog burying a bone (with or without meat on it, it does not really matter).

As Domestic dogs are familly of the wolf, and are related in ways of behaviour, They share this particular behaviour aswell.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sun May 06, 2012 12:31 pm

For a bit of extra information: Wolves also dig to bury dead pups, (explains sinking into ground in wolfquest) females dig to create dens, their tips of their claws are dull because of digging
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun May 06, 2012 7:08 pm

duskypack wrote:For a bit of extra information: Wolves also dig to bury dead pups, (explains sinking into ground in wolfquest) females dig to create dens, their tips of their claws are dull because of digging
Wolves do not bury their pups.

The "sinking into the ground" is just a random glitch with the WolfQuest game; it has nothing to do with burying pups or anything associated to the sort.

Just thought I'd clarify.

ZeRivet
Former WQ Moderator

Post by ZeRivet » Sun May 06, 2012 7:43 pm

I believe the information provided above has answered the question, and so I shall be locking this topic now. ^^

:Locked:
| | | “I'm allergic to rocks hitting me in the face.” | | |
Avatar (C) me | Quote (C) Mark Rowe| All The Rocks