Rabies In Wolves and few more ?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Rabies In Wolves and few more ?

Post by 1BitJay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Few questions to ask.

--Can wolves get rabies?

--What are things that give rabies to wolves?

--Can they survive from rabies?

--Has a human been bitten by a wolf with rabies?

--How high is the predatory instinct in wolves and wolf-hybrids?
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Rabies In Wolves and few more ?

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:16 am

Well, first off, a great place to find answers to any wolf related questions can be found here: Wolf Q&A: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

-- wolves are susceptible to dozens of diseases and parasites: all sorts of worms from their prey. Viruses such as distemper and rabies. So yes, wolves can get rabies.

-- wolves can get rabies from numerous things. The virus itself concentrates in the affected animal's bodily liquids, particularly saliva, which is why the disease is most often transmitted through a bite. - or when wolves eat from a shared carcass, spreading the disease through the pack. However, there does not need to be a cut or bite: dried saliva on the fur also carries the virus and can come in contact with the eyes, mouth, nostrils, or an open sore of another animal or person. It is believed that wolves contracted the disease from foxes scavenging wolf kills.

-- generally not. Death occurs within a few days to a week after the symptoms appear in both forms of rabies ; the secondary symptom that causes death is typically respiratory failure. (1st cause being dehydration)

-- yes, there is surprisingly lots of different cases out there. Just search it up and see what you can find. But in general, yes, a human has been bitten before by a rabid wolf.

-- usually, a wolf has a high predatory and territorial instinct. And in wolf-hybrids, if these instincts are triggered, they are just as driven by these instincts. Their brain is wired to see other animals as dinner, and when this "prey" runs, they automatically chase it. This is practically their survival technique. Wolves rely in these instincts, and without them, they would no longer be "wild" animals. On the guide I listed at the top, you should be able to find a bit more on wolf-hybrids. But basically, if the hybrids predatory instincts are triggered, it will respond the same as what a wolf may do.

Source:
Wolves Written by Erin McCloskey
Foreword by Dr. Lu Carbyn -- Published by Lone Pine

Hope this helps you out!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Rabies In Wolves and few more ?

Post by Koa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:00 pm

To add, just because an animal is classified as a "hybrid" between a domestic and wild animal does not make them any less dangerous than their wild counterpart. Sufficient information has been provided, thus I will lock.