If both parents die, could the pups survive?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

If both parents die, could the pups survive?

Post by Khia 112 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 am

4 weeks - Weigh 5-6 lbs.; growth of adult hair around nose and eyes; bodies begin to take on conformation of adults with disproportionately large feet and head; high-pitched howls are gaining strength; mother may go off for hours on end to hunt; dominance and play fighting begin.
(from here: http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/ ... opment.asp)

If there were three siblings around 4 weeks old, and both parents died (like, from injuries caused by hunting or fending off predators; and I mean when this is their first litter so there aren't any other wolves left but the pups), would it be possible for the pups to survive on their own at least for a small amount of time?
Maybe they could manage to live off of berries and/or insects, although I doubt they could survive for long without meat.
Maybe they could somehow avoid predators?
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: If both parents die, could the pups survive?

Post by Legendary-Taco » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Perhaps, but I believe it would be unlikely. At around four to five weeks, the pups will begin to hunt squirrels and maybe small bunnies, so they could still manage to sustain themselves.
Wolf pups are fiercely guarded by their parents and the entire pack----except for man, there really aren't any other animals who would mess with them. Wolves have extremely good senses of smell, and they will use that sense of smell to help them avoid areas where there are other wolf packs or larger predators. Because of deforestation, though, wolves are often forced into human environments. This is the main time when humans will kill them.

Quoted from ~ http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_a_wo ... _predators

Noting that, I could probably assume the wolf pups have no protection. Typically, male grizzlies weigh about 400 750 pounds. Compared to a five or six pound wolf pup, chances of living are slim. On the other hand, pups are agile enough to flee from danger at around 1½ months, but I'd still say that survival is slim.

On the matter of avoiding predators, basically their options are to either flee or hide in some shelter. Other wolf packs are occasionally known to take in wolf pups.
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: If both parents die, could the pups survive?

Post by Koa » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Realistically, no. Even wolves who are seven months and able to hunt still have a slim chance of being able to live on their own due to lack of experience. These pups would not survive, and chances are they would not be adopted by another wolf like many think.
At around four to five weeks, the pups will begin to hunt squirrels and maybe small bunnies, so they could still manage to sustain themselves.
8-10 weeks - Adults abandon den and move pups to rendezvous site; weaning complete, pups can feed on food provided by adults; adult hair becomes apparent on body.
The wolf pups are not even weaned until eight to ten weeks, so I do not believe that is accurate. Wolf pups at 4 weeks are a month/slightly over a month old, and are still very clumsy and uncoordinated.

I believe this question has been covered. With that being said, please keep in mind that your question may have been answered in past threads in this board (which is indeed has) so it would be wise to search through this board in the future. Thanks.