What is the most endangered wolf species?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Tarbtano
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: What is the most endangered wolf species?

Post by Tarbtano » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:22 am

Overcast wrote:Despite your lack of sources on that last point (its fine), I understand what you mean now by Himalayan wolves not being a member of the gray wolf speices, which is not endangered.

Yet with that in mind, is the Himalayan Wolf even a wolf then? What makes species like the Eithopian wolf and the Himalayan wolf wolf species at all, since they are not within canis lupus? I can't seem to make the connection. What makes the Himalayan wolf more 'wolf' then the red wolf or even the Ethiopian wolf? They are all the same genus, and all not in the species canis lupus.

Short on time, just look up wild population numbers and I guarantee you wolves will be alot more numerous then you thought.

And I am glad you asked. The reason is actually a very s't'u'p'i'd' one. We as humans tend to name ANY and ALL canines that are large 'Wolf'. A prime example is the quintessential 'Dire Wolf' (Canis dirus). Despite being of closer relation to the coyote (both evolved in the New World, Gray Wolves came from the Old World), we still call it the Dire WOLF.

So the reason is based more on species size rather then genetics. Taxonomic phenotypes tend to over-ride genotypes in picking a common name. Another prime example is elephants.
The African Elephant (Loxodonta africana) and the Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus) don't even belong to the same genus, and the Asian Elephant is actually more closely related to mammoths. Yet we still today still call them both elephants
"Let me tell you this; Dinosaurs were in no way, shape; or form inferior to your wolves."
-Prof. Reverend Robert T. Bakker

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 am

Well that's just confusing then! I understand your last post Tarbtano, but now I am unsure which species we are considering for Jaymist's question :P , based on your size vs. genetics conclusion.

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:15 pm

I think that last time I checked, it was the Mexican Gray Wolf, the Red Wolf (though the RW may only be endangered in North Carolina, or it may just be the reproduction program I heard about), and the Ethiopian Wolf. I may be wrong, though.
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Wed May 16, 2012 5:31 pm

the most endangered wolf species is.... Mexican Gray Wolf!

Willow Lokota
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Willow Lokota » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:19 pm

I do know however the Red Wolf is very endangered and there are only around 100 in the wild. There are a few in captivity however and i hope with population programs the Red Wolf will be introduced back into the wild in great numbers.
Willow Lokota

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

I do know however the Red Wolf is very endangered and there are only around 100 in the wild. There are a few in captivity however and i hope with population programs the Red Wolf will be introduced back into the wild in great numbers.
Actually, the red wolf is nothing more than a coyote with very slight wolf ancestry. This has been proven since last year. So really, it's a Least Concern species.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:49 am

Please do not bump up old, dead topics WolvesOfTheSeas and Willow Lokota, thanks!

Since this question seems answered and it's fairly old, I'll go ahea and lock. Thanks for helping everyone!

-Locked-
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~