READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions (Updated)

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfman5123
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions

Post by wolfman5123 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:22 am

whats the name of the canadian pack leader (male) at the uk wolf conservation trust
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shadow - The Druid Peak Pack's Brute Omega

The Lowest Rank In the pack but still knows how to have fun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:45 am

wolfman5123 wrote:whats the name of the canadian pack leader (male) at the uk wolf conservation trust
I believe that it would be better for you to ask this question in the UK Wolf Conservation thread, as this thread/section is for asking questions or providing answers about wolves in general, not the UK conservation ^^

UK Wolf Conservation Trust:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41479
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Dostluk
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Dostluk » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks, Blight! This is really useful! :D
DOSTLUK/DAPHNE
♒❂⊰The S℮asonal Track℮rs ℙack⊱❂♒
You art thiefs get away >> Yes, get away or my dog gonna eat chu

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 pm

I saw the section about wolves predators, but can you make a distinction between adult wolf predators and wolf pup predators? I am writing a story, and this is important. Thanks.
~Frodo
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Pretty much any sort of predatory animal will prey on wolf pups when they're a small size. The bigger the pups get, though, the fewer predators will prey on them.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Canidae wrote:Pretty much any sort of predatory animal will prey on wolf pups when they're a small size. The bigger the pups get, though, the fewer predators will prey on them.
Can you tell me some specific predators for adult wolves?
~Frodo
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Well, wolves are apex predators, so there's really no animal that regularly relies on wolves for food.

However, it's not unheard of for animals such as bears and mountain lions to kill and eat wolves.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 am

(Thanks to Canidae for updating the first post with the questions and answers from the Live Q&A)
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Eternala
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Eternala » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Thank you, Blightwolf, for posting this! This clears up lots of questions, mine and others. I can tell lots of research was needed to post this.

MsGoldenMC4

READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Really nice! that's alot of information about wolves.
This morning and last night, in my wolf calender,i found a little information about wolves and i thought posting because i thought it would be pretty interesting.

Wolves are one of the few mammals that mate for life.After much nuzzling,pawing and grooming,the bond between a wolf couple is secure and the final stages of courtship begin.

A wolf typically laps up one to three quarts of water per day,depending on its size,the moisture content of the prey it has eaten and the climate.

Spring is birthing and denning season for wolves,a time the entire pack devotes to nurturing and nourishing its newborn pups.

It may look like a dog,but a wolf's larger brain,more powerful bite,scent-marking and preference for howling over barking are a few that distinguish it from a domesticated dog.

The social bonds formed by playing,eating and sleeping together as pups remain strong and help keep wolf packs functioning as tight,cohesive family units.

Nearly full grown,at six to eight months a young wolf is strong enough to accompany the pack on hunts.Defenders works closely with ranchers to keep livestock safe from wolves.

Gray wolves are not nessarily gray---coats of solid black,pure white,tawny tan,rich brown and a variety of shades and combinations are also common.

Snowshoelike feet--large and slightly webbed--give wolves a big advantage over their prey in snow.Unfortunately,wolves traveling snowy expanses in Alaska are east targets for aerial gunners.

An Artic wolf's smaller ears,shorter legs and muzzle,stocky body,extra-thick foot pads,dense overcoat and winter undercoat help it stay warm in extremely frigid conditions.

Moderators: If you think i should have not added this then feel free to remove it or have me remove it.

wolfclan12
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolfclan12 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:32 am

intersting
:mrgreen:

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:14 am

wolfclan12 wrote:intersting
:mrgreen:
Glad to see that you find this interesting ^^ However, be sure to post more than three words, as less can be considered as SPAM, ok? Thank you very much!
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Awesome information, I am glad I read this, I learned a lot more about wolves.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Fullmoon00
Pup
Pup

Post by Fullmoon00 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:39 am

Thank you,i understand wolfs now little bit better,because i now lots of stuff XD

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Rebecca100 wrote:Really nice! that's alot of information about wolves.
This morning and last night, in my wolf calender,i found a little information about wolves and i thought posting because i thought it would be pretty interesting.

Wolves are one of the few mammals that mate for life.After much nuzzling,pawing and grooming,the bond between a wolf couple is secure and the final stages of courtship begin.

A wolf typically laps up one to three quarts of water per day,depending on its size,the moisture content of the prey it has eaten and the climate.

Spring is birthing and denning season for wolves,a time the entire pack devotes to nurturing and nourishing its newborn pups.

It may look like a dog,but a wolf's larger brain,more powerful bite,scent-marking and preference for howling over barking are a few that distinguish it from a domesticated dog.

The social bonds formed by playing,eating and sleeping together as pups remain strong and help keep wolf packs functioning as tight,cohesive family units.

Nearly full grown,at six to eight months a young wolf is strong enough to accompany the pack on hunts.Defenders works closely with ranchers to keep livestock safe from wolves.

Gray wolves are not nessarily gray---coats of solid black,pure white,tawny tan,rich brown and a variety of shades and combinations are also common.

Snowshoelike feet--large and slightly webbed--give wolves a big advantage over their prey in snow.Unfortunately,wolves traveling snowy expanses in Alaska are east targets for aerial gunners.

An Artic wolf's smaller ears,shorter legs and muzzle,stocky body,extra-thick foot pads,dense overcoat and winter undercoat help it stay warm in extremely frigid conditions.

Moderators: If you think i should have not added this then feel free to remove it or have me remove it.
Wow, that is very interesting! :3
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears