READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions (Updated)

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

grape500
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Wolf Q&A: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by grape500 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:00 am

maybe you could add how old wolf pups are when their eyes start changing colour because i didn't see that here i'm not sure when that starts though and also when the pups fur colour starts changing from dark brown to what colour they will be when they grow up i don't know that either really (sorry but i just thought that would be good to add but i don't know the answer)
Avvie by me

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed May 12, 2010 7:38 am

Thanks for pointing that out, Grape500, I will add an answer to that question ASAP, but whilst I'll find the appropriate time to edit the first page here's the answer:

When do wolf pups' eyes start to change color?

The solid blue color of wolf pups' eyes will gradually fade into the adult eye color over the next six to ten weeks.

SOURCE: http://www.runningwiththewolves.org/Anatomy.htm
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed May 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Awesome post, Blight! This must indeed have cost you much time. As for the wolf sizes...

You can just type, for example, "4.5 feet" in Google, and it will give you the converted number, for those who don't use pounds etc.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu May 20, 2010 6:50 am

Thank you, Silv. It's still mostly under progress because updates and new questions are coming in at a fast pace and answers have to be added as soon as possible.

Google can conveniently convert wolf measurements (height, length, weight) into centimeters and kilograms. It's very useful. I use that myself to get a clearer perspective about wolf sizes since we do not use pounds, inches or feet in my country.

grape500
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by grape500 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:33 am

Also i asked what age their fur starts changing colour is that the same time, later or sooner because they're born with dark fur
Avvie by me

IasoLengend
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: In a secret island called your hair,that whoa!You have lice?

Post by IasoLengend » Thu May 20, 2010 12:37 pm

grape500 wrote: by grape500 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:33 am

Also i asked what age their fur starts changing colour is that the same time, later or sooner because they're born with dark fur
I believe its around 8-9 months old,as i've seen not the same time as the eyes. As the colors come around the time of the "rendezvous site". Unlike the eyes which start around 8-16 weeks gradually. These two websites are what I researched a Lil' bit on.
http://www.wolfpark.org/wolffaq.html#puppies and
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/ ... opment.asp

1B. What are the races of a Gray Wolf?

The gray wolf, Canis lupus, lives in the northern latitudes around the world. There are five subspecies, or races, of the gray wolf in North America and seven to 12 in Eurasia. The currently recognized subspecies in North America are:

Canis lupus baileyi - the Mexican wolf or lobo.
Canis lupus nubilus - the Great Plains or buffalo wolf.
Canis lupus occidentalis - the , Rocky Mountain or MacKenzie Valley wolf.
Canis lupus lycaon - the eastern timber wolf. Some scientists maintain this wolf is a separate species, Canis lycaon.
Canis lupus arctos- the arctic wolf.

Subspecies are often difficult to tell from one another. This is because wolves are so mobile and travel such great distances. They interbreed where their ranges overlap so that their populations tend to blend and run together rather than form distinctive boundaries. The different traits we see in subspecies are likely the result of geographic range, available habitat, and prey base. But one wolf is, in reality, like any other wolf in terms of natural history and behavior. There are far more commonalities among wolves than differences. All species and subspecies of wolves are social animals that live and hunt in families called packs, although adult wolves can or do survive alone. Most wolves hold territories, and all communicate through body language, vocalization and scent marking/urine.

Source:
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/faqs/faq.asp#2
------- ~Iaso~
---------- Motto:
-------------The past isn't. The present is now. Future is a gift.
---------------- I'm a proud WQ member and player. I reply to all

Avvie (c) Lunalynn
~ Iaso

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 pm

IasoLegend is correct, thank you for providing the sources with that information. Wolf offspring fur color will begin to change later than the eye color, however, the fur is also "color phasing", which means that the color of the fur gradually becomes prominent, just like the eyes.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun May 23, 2010 3:13 pm

31DD. What are the reasons behind wolf attacks?

Pending Answer

32EE. Are wolves able to climb trees?

Pending Answer
Just want to comment on these...if they haven't already been answered and you just haven't updated them yet...
Wolves: behaviour, ecology, conservation wrote: Clarke (1971) reviewed historic reports of wolf attacks in Europse and central Asia and concluded that nearly all incidents involved wolf-dog hybrids or rabid wolves...Nevertheless, most North American biologists have been skeptical about reported wolf attacks in the US and Canada and have downplayed wolf danger to humans.
In 1996, biologists investigated fatal and nonfatal attacks on 76 children, aged 4 months to 9 years. ... Evidence pointed to a single bold wolf. the general poverty of the area was thought to contribute to the attacks. Small children were allowed to roam untended. They outnumbered unguarded livestock, and wild prey were scarce.

Most incidents were attributed to self-defense, defense of other wolves, rabies, or aggression involved displays who were accompanied by dogs. among the 13 biting incidents recorded in cases of unprovoked aggression, eleven involved wolves that were habituated to humans.

It is now clear that even non-rabid wolves sometimes attack humans.

the above was typed out exactly from the quote listed above...so feel free to put it in your own words. (I didn't type out the whole section though...it was so long! If the question wasn't answered, then I'll have to fish for more in that section.)

32EE: I wouldn't think it would be physically possible. But I haven't found any official information to back this up.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon May 24, 2010 3:42 am

I don't know if you can use this, but tanathe on DeviantArt made this very useful chart for wolf size comparison.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/ ... anathe.jpg

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon May 24, 2010 4:20 am

Thanks for those, Solitary, I will update the list in a short time and include your quotations and write additional information to go along with it...

That is brilliant, Silv. I think it would be all right to use it if we credited the creator and perhaps posted a link to her DA, or something like that.

Larka22
Pup
Pup

Post by Larka22 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:00 am

I have a question about the multiplayer. What is an RP name? One of the other players asked me what my rp name was and I said "Larka22" then they asked me if i knew what an rp name even was. I guess I don’t :lol: and I was also wondering if in multiplayer you can use a different name besides your sigh up name? :?

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 am

Larka22, I advice you to direct your question to a forum moderator (anyone with a dark green username) or ask a question at the Tips & Hints or General WolfQuest Discussion sections.

This topic is for answering primarily wolf-related questions; not the game and its content itself.

Larka22
Pup
Pup

Post by Larka22 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:49 am

Blightwolf wrote:Larka22, I advice you to direct your question to a forum moderator (anyone with a dark green username) or ask a question at the Tips & Hints or General WolfQuest Discussion sections.

This topic is for answering primarily wolf-related questions; not the game and its content itself.
Oh :lol: sorry, I thought we could ask game questions hear. sorry if i caused any trouble.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:13 am

Don't worry; no trouble has been caused. I hope you receive an answer for your question.

If you have wolf questions in the future, by all means, revisit this topic. ;)

moonshadowwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by moonshadowwalker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Do wolves kill each other? I mean, I know some fights (over territory, ect) can get nasty but do they purposly kill each other or just try to wound?
I stalk the night, the day, the dreams. searching for someone, is it you? have you seen me?
PM me if you do!!
I'm helping the Decepticons take over, AAaarrrroooooooooooooooo