READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions (Updated)

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

eragoncrazy122

Re: READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions (NEW UPDATE

Post by eragoncrazy122 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:44 am

Thanks for posting this. I got a lot more information about wolves and this will help me with my wolf project at school ^^.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:17 pm

I noticed you had some info on wolf-dogs but not coyote and wolf mixes. I have answered several questions of people who are asking if it is possible for coyotes and wolves to breed. So may I suggest adding a little something on that topic? ^^

Is it possible for coyotes to cross-breed with wolves? Why? What are they called?

Yes, wolves are capable if cross-breeding with coyotes. endangered eastern wolves cross-breeding with coyotes is a concern. In the US, red wolves and coyotes breeding has also become a situation. These cross-breeds are called coywolves or tweed wolves.
If pack order of eastern wolves is disrupted from over-hunting, there may be more lone wolves searching for mates. If they cannot find other wolves, coyotes Kay look attractive. In a natural system, wolves and coyotes avoid eachother as competitors. Coywolves or tweed wolves are smaller than wolves, but with a larger skull and larger stronger jaws than coyotes. They still hunt rodents as coyotes do, but have demonstrated the capacity to take down deer.
Interbreeding between coyotes and grey wolves was undocumented until recent years. Coyotes and grey wolves both have stable populations in Canada and follow their natural behavioural instincts to stick to their own species. Wolves and coyotes avoid eachother and rarely overlap in their territories. Typically, lone grey wolves, if of healthy breeding age, are males kicked out of their mother's pack and sent to form packs of their own. If wolf populations are low, established packs remain small and do not get divided up to allow for new males to establish new packs. The lone males may more likely find female coyotes as willing mates.

Source:
Wolves in Canada written by Erin McCloskey Foreword by Dr. Lu Carbyn Published by Lone Pine Publishing
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 pm

I read online that the heaviest wolf recorded was a male found in Ukraine (if memory serves correctly), and weighed in at 180 lb. Perhaps, if this can be verified, something could be added...
~Frodo
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:40 am

Frodo1 wrote:I read online that the heaviest wolf recorded was a male found in Ukraine (if memory serves correctly), and weighed in at 180 lb. Perhaps, if this can be verified, something could be added...
~Frodo
Well, just pointing out, that even if it was true, this wolf is obviously a rare case. Thus, there's probably no need to add it to the list seeing as there will be few to no other wolves like this one^^ Also, just a question Frodo, but was that wolf held in captivity, or was it free?
Nov. 2011 UotM

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:04 am

failwolf56 wrote:
Frodo1 wrote:I read online that the heaviest wolf recorded was a male found in Ukraine (if memory serves correctly), and weighed in at 180 lb. Perhaps, if this can be verified, something could be added...
~Frodo
Well, just pointing out, that even if it was true, this wolf is obviously a rare case. Thus, there's probably no need to add it to the list seeing as there will be few to no other wolves like this one^^ Also, just a question Frodo, but was that wolf held in captivity, or was it free?
It was a wild wolf. And I know it is a rare case, but I thought that it would be an interesting thing to put up, just to show that wolves can surpass 110 lb occasionally.
~Frodo
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08 am

All right, and that's surprising that it would be wild. Do you have the article about it, because I would like to know what it was eating to get that big!
Nov. 2011 UotM

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue May 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks Blightwolf For this information i think it really help us! :P

sSilvers
Yearling
Yearling

Post by sSilvers » Wed May 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Thank you BlightWolf. c: I'm sure it helped many members!
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Lithium, proud to be a Kuangalia of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816
/////////////////////////////////////Icon By Kivia

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed May 16, 2012 4:12 pm

I am going to update the first page soon, stay tuned. Some information is outdated and/or there's more to be added.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Fri May 25, 2012 3:55 am

You really must add the results of the 2011 study "A genome-wide perspective on the evolutionary history of enigmatic wolf-like canids". It has now been definitively proven that the "eastern" and "red" wolf are in fact coywolves, not distinct species. The eastern wolf is at most 58% wolf, while the red wolf is in fact a coyote with under 20-25% wolf genes.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Nordue

Re: READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions (Updated)

Post by Nordue » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:29 am

• That sounds like a good idea La Striata. Did you happen to see this form?
Blightwolf wrote:Wolf Q&A: If you know a wolf question that is popular and asked a lot but is not included in the list, please donate the answer so it can be added to help the users of WQ and the Community.

[...]

If you would like to donate a question and an answer, please follow the policy exhibited on the Q&A list:
The title of your question

The answer

The source

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm

@ Tonbei - This thread hasn't been updated in awhile, and La Striata's particular post was last May (although I know he still frequents the forums, I haven't seen Blightwolf lately, but I have observed she goes on hiatus every now and then). I'd be more than happy to work with everyone involved and help revise the list. If I may, I would also like to recommend that the "Common Wolf Misconceptions" list be added as well, for parts that are not already covered in the original Q&A. :) I can find it if agreed upon that it should be brought here, as I believe the specific topic has not been posted on in awhile, and it would be a shame to see it purged or lost.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

• I was hoping in part that La Striata might see my reply there and retake some interest in his request, but that's fine.

Would you mind posting a link to this list you speak of Koa? Then we can decide if it should be added or not (I don't see why not though, realistically). I tried searching the forums for it with those exact words, but the closest I got was BlightWolf's old Wolf Mythbusters topic, and a topic of common questions made by Sintact's old account, which was simply a repercussion of this topic.

Even if no word is received from BlightWolf or La Striata here in the near future, I think that for the sake of the community, interested persons can continue to uphold community-driven topics like these :) .

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • I was hoping in part that La Striata might see my reply there and retake some interest in his request, but that's fine.

Would you mind posting a link to this list you speak of Koa? Then we can decide if it should be added or not (I don't see why not though, realistically). I tried searching the forums for it with those exact words, but the closest I got was BlightWolf's old Wolf Mythbusters topic, and a topic of common questions made by Sintact's old account, which was simply a repercussion of this topic.

Even if no word is received from BlightWolf or La Striata here in the near future, I think that for the sake of the community, interested persons can continue to uphold community-driven topics like these :) .
At first, I couldn't find it, but the name just came back to me when I recognized it, so I apologize for the confusion. It is "The Wolf Mythbuster" thread.
The Wolf Mythbuster
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... s#p1436702

I personally think it should be added, perhaps in a separate post, i.e., a post under Sintact's, so that all important information is documented on the first page and doesn't get lost within this thread.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks Koa! I went ahead and added the Myth List to the post below Sintact's, just to keep everything in one place. I personally saw nothing wrong with the topic, so I think it's a good addition to the overall front post.

If this topic seems deserted by Blightwolf, I see no harm in allowing a more active user to take charge of the first post, as Tonbei also stated. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )