Your Job as Wolf Biologists

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Poof
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Your Job as Wolf Biologists

Post by Poof » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 pm

What do you do, exactly? I'm incredibly curious. I've loved wolves ever since I was a lil' kiddie, and for most of middle school and currently (my freshman year) I'm interested in taking on this job.

I also read in the 'How to be a Biologist' post that they don't necessarily pay you for this job. So like someone else asked, would you have to get a secondary job to help support you? Do any of you have as such? Is it stressful? Is there a field that generally requires the same things as a Wolf Biologist does that pays well and leaves enough time for your primary job?

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Your Job as Wolf Biologists

Post by ChocolateRain » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:08 pm

I'd like to add a question if you don't mind. How popular is this field (wolf biology) right now and do you think it will grow even more in the following years?

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:22 am

I will try and see if I can get one of the "official" wolf biologists to answer this question for you. My main experience is with captive wolves, but I have "tagged along" and done some field work in Yellowstone and AZ/NM to have gotten a feel for it. If you want more info on captive wolf care, I can answer that.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Poof
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Poof » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:00 am

Both captive and wild is fine.

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:40 am

As far as a job in a captive situation, things can vary quite a bit on what you do and don't do, depending on the type of group you have.

For example, my average day with the 4 male Mexican gray wolves involves a short amount of time to spend in the off-exhibit wolf area to clean and put in the diet (5-30 minutes depending on a few things) and then time during the day to do some observations on the social stuff that occurs in the pack. Some days, things are generally pretty quiet but during the breeding season (hormones starting in late Nov-April) things can become more active and more time might be spent watching the dynamics of the group and looking at injuries. The majority of the time, things are fairly routine but they can escalate quite quickly, so knowing all of the changes and what lead to the changes, is very important to know when deciding what your management might be (keep the group together and let them settle it or separate out an animal). There are also annual exams that take place in the fall, where we get our hands on the wolves and do routine vet care (vaccinations, weights, etc). When we get a breeding recommendation for the group, things become even more complicated with the upcoming litter and all the stuff that goes with that.

Wolf keepers are also involved quite often with education events and tours due to the fact wolves are very high profile and the high level of interest that goes with them. Lastly, we do some enrichment with the pack to encourage natural behavior whenever possible.

Working in a zoo or wildlife facility can vary quite a bit with salary and species you are assigned. Here, I work with the wolves, but I also work with a variety of other hoofstock species in the work area. Depending on the facility, you may just work hoofstock, carnivores, birds, primates, or you may work everything. Zoo careers are becoming more popular, but the competition is very high in some areas of the country and at certain zoos.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Poof
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Poof » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:46 am

...No wild? D:

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:18 pm

Most of the jobs with wolves in the field involve a background in either biology or wildlife management. Pretty much all of them got some experience by volunteering or working for a small amount of money per day ($10-15/day). For example, the Mexican gray wolf program has a program for many graduates/undergrads that are needing some experience before being able to get a full-time job in wildlife work.

Also, there is a program in northern MN that does the same (http://www.davemech.org/volunteering.html) and many of the people who are currently the "who's who" in the wolf world have done work at the K lab in Ely.

The daily work varies quite a bit-depending on what you are working on-setting traps for collaring animals, research on locations, prey remains, scat (poo) patrol, etc. Each wolf project has a variety of stuff in it-most days are varied with long hours, no regular 9-5 for these guys. Usually, no weekends off, but it can vary quite a bit depending on what you are working on at the time.