Rules for Pack Central

Make or join a pack in Pack Central. Please read the Pack Central FAQ before posting.

Moderator: Koa

Forum rules
Please read the Pack Central FAQ before posting.
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Rules for Pack Central

Post by valkea » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:47 pm

What Is Allowed
  • - Abiding by the usual WolfQuest Forum Guidelines
    - Packs consisting of wolves (any species of wolf is fine, however maned wolves are not wolves)
    - Unnatural markings, patterns, coat colours, and eye colours within reason. Essentially, what this means that bright purple wolves with glowy red eyes and blue star markings, for example, are a bit much. Please message a moderator if you're unsure about this.
    - Unrealistic hierarchies (alphas/betas/omegas, kingdoms, etc.)
    - Unrealistic settings (places that don't exist, places where wolves are extinct or never inhabited, etc.)
    - Packs based off books, movies, TV shows, etc.
    • -- Packs based off of other media must still follow all the rules of WolfQuest and Pack Central.
    - Leading packs with one or more other people.
    • -- You may not create a joint account to lead the pack, and you may not be mates.
    - Creating and joining multiple packs
    - Using BBCode to format your pack's thread
    - Having your own unique set of rules, goals, statistics, etc.
    - Advertising in the "Advertise your pack here!" thread
    - Creating and linking to a website for your pack
    - Roleplaying with your pack on the WolfQuest Roleplay Thread, provided everything in your pack follows the guidelines of that thread
    - Using WolfQuest's multiplayer feature to host games for your pack
    - Reporting posts that do not follow the rules of WolfQuest or Pack Central
What Is Not Allowed
  • - Mates and mate-related content (see here for more details)
    - Fantasy content (magic, powers, wings, horns, etc.)
    - Religious content (including gods, spirits, legends, and other religious beliefs or aspects)
    - Bumping your pack's thread (unless using the forum's bump button — info and instructions can be found here)
    - Double posting on your pack's thread for any reason
    - Extremely violent packs based off of killing
    - Werewolves
    - Creatures that are not wolves as characters (including other canines such as maned wolves, coyotes, dogs, etc.)
    - Posting topics saying you are searching for a pack — please look over existing pack threads and apply to them there
    - Backseat moderating
    - Creating another account to manage your pack
    - Attempting to "own" ideas
    - Directly copying from another pack without permission from the pack's leader(s) (Example: Copying and pasting another pack's rules into your own thread while changing very little or nothing at all)
    - Roleplaying on your pack's thread (including using roleplay to introduce the details of your pack and requesting roleplay samples from potential members)
    - Posting an unfinished thread — please finish your thread first and post it then, pack threads that are a work in progress will be locked
    - Harassing a pack or otherwise being rude to a pack and/or its members. If there is a problem with a pack or its members, please do not bring it up on their thread. Private message the leader of the pack or a moderator instead.
    • -- If someone is doing this on your pack thread, please report the posts or message a moderator so that they can handle it. Do not try to handle rule-breaking yourself, alert a moderator instead.
    - Creating multiple accounts to join your pack

Consequences
  • - Consequences will vary depending on how many rules were broken, which rules were broken, and how they were broken. Packs may receive a reminder of the rules on their thread, with the post(s) that broke the rules being pointed out, posts may be removed or edited, a pack's thread may be locked either temporarily or permanently (depending on the severity and/or frequency of rule-breaking), users may be sent out warnings, users may have their posting privileges restricted, or users may be banned from the forum entirely.
    - If you see a user or pack breaking any of WolfQuest's or Pack Central's rules, do not attempt to deal with it yourself. Report the post, or message a moderator with a link to the post (it is preferred that you do not do both, we only need to see the issue once). Please do not attempt to do the moderators' jobs for them.
I don't understand something!
  • - If you're confused by any of these rules or have questions about them, feel free to ask on this topic! Just make sure to read through it a bit first, your question may already have been answered.
    - If you have questions about Pack Central that are not necessarily related to these rules, check out the Pack Central FAQ first, and feel free to ask there if you still can't find the answer!
Last update: 7/20/2016
Last edited by valkea on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Frozen Snowy Tundra
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Rules for Pack Central Question

Post by Frozen Snowy Tundra » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:50 pm

What is considered a realistic pack? (unrealistic as in hierarchies or kingdoms etc.) Thanks!

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: Rules for Pack Central

Post by valkea » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Realistic would be something that accurately portrays wolves as they are in real life in the wild, you can find a ton of information on realistic wolf behavior, pack structures, etc. over here in Wolf Q&A and ask questions there if you can't find the info you need: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=6
This thread in particular has a lot of useful information you can use if you want to create a realistic pack: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

Noella
Name: Noella

Post by Noella » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Lets say you have a mention of werewolves, but characters and the pack itself are not werewolves. Would this count towards the rules here? Here's what it will/could say:
Have you gotten a hint on the theme yet? No? Allow me to explain! Think of RTK as a time when King Arthur lived. We aren't werewolves of course, just your average wolf on four legs with a bit more knowledge than the normal circumstances would allow.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:42 pm

As long as it is not a werewolf pack, it's fine. It does say "we aren't werewolves" so I don't see any reason for it to not be allowed, considering it's specifying that it isn't a werewolf pack.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Why isn't roleplaying on one's pack thread allowed?
Last edited by Noctis_ on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:35 pm

WolfQuest does not allow roleplay on its most of forums for various reasons. The main one being that the goal of WolfQuest is to educate people about wolves, not only through the game, but also through the forums and website. We did create one post that allows you to realistically roleplay like a wolf on the forums; feel free to check it out! http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68437

There are also many forums/websites out there on the internet which primary focus is roleplay. If you wish to roleplay, please use those websites instead of WolfQuest. A topic has been made for you to look through and suggest other roleplaying sites: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18697
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34765

In the past, roleplaying has not been allowed anywhere on the forum because it is not a forum for roleplaying. That changed a bit with the introduction of the WolfQuest Roleplay Thread, however WolfQuest is still not a roleplay forum and roleplay should be kept to the roleplay thread, the multiplayer game, or off-site.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Okay. I've also noticed that some of the rules for packs clash with rules for the RP thread, and since pack roleplaying on the RP thread is allowed, this is somewhat confusing.
For instance, unrealistic wolves (unnatural fur color, eye color, markings) are allowed in a pack, but in the RP thread, they are not (Koa told me as much).
Last edited by Noctis_ on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:49 pm

They are, actually.
What is allowed:
Unnatural markings, patterns, coat colours, and eye colours *within reason. Ask a moderator if you are unsure.
I actually meant to add the within reason bit to the Pack Central rules so that they're consistent across both threads, guess I forgot to do that ^^; Fixing that up now.
That said, the RP thread is not meant specifically to be for Pack Central packs to roleplay on. They can if they want, but that was not the sole purpose the RP thread was created for. It was for all users to roleplay on, regardless of whether they're in a pack that uses it or not. Because of that, I do not see it as necessary that everything be exactly the same on both threads, for example the fact that dire wolf packs are allowed on PC but not allowed on the RP thread due to the setting the RP thread seems to have.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Rules for Pack Central (updated 6/25/15)

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:55 am

LunaWolf2468 wrote:.
For instance, unrealistic wolves (unnatural fur color, eye color, markings) are allowed in a pack, but in the RP thread, they are not (Koa told me as much).

Yes, I recall telling people initially that they weren't; however, we recently made the roleplay rules specific and everyone is now on the same page. See my post here:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 0#p2382675
My apologies for any confusion; I had an early tendency to moderate the thread like it was a toned down User Writings. That aside, I believe Kat has covered everything else.

illicit
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by illicit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:28 am

My character has a small amount of coyote in her.
Is this allowed?

/ / / / /i l l i c i t / / / / /
adj. forbidden by law, rules, or custom.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 am

illicit wrote:
Is this allowed?
Yes, that is fine. Some wolves do contain certain amounts of coyote within them, anyway.

illicit
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by illicit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:22 am

Koa wrote:
illicit wrote:
Is this allowed?
Yes, that is fine. Some wolves do contain certain amounts of coyote within them, anyway.
Alright, thanks! That's a relief.

adj. forbidden by law, rules, or custom.

Thundo Puffs
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lord of the Oats

Post by Thundo Puffs » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:34 am

Regarding the roleplay on the pack thread, does that include IN the thread as well? Sometimes I see things in the intros such as "hello traveler," or "I am ---, and I welcome you to ----. Allow me to show you around."

Would those kind of things be acceptable? I wasn't sure if that fell into the
(including using roleplay to introduce the details of your pack) Sorry if I stated the obvious; I just want to make sure. ^^

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:53 am

Thundo Puffs wrote:Regarding the roleplay on the pack thread, does that include IN the thread as well? Sometimes I see things in the intros such as "hello traveler," or "I am ---, and I welcome you to ----. Allow me to show you around."

Would those kind of things be acceptable? I wasn't sure if that fell into the
(including using roleplay to introduce the details of your pack) Sorry if I stated the obvious; I just want to make sure. ^^
Generally, when first person is used or the inclusion of "you" occurs and some opening that follows, e.g., "You walk into a bramble clearing and see many wolves watching you," then yes, we are more likely to call it out as roleplay. In turn, yes, that would be included into the "using roleplay to introduce details of your pack." Sometimes, the call isn't so easily made; when users write in entirely third person and are detailing the history of the pack, it can be confusing. We recently discussed this in the Moderators forum regarding roleplaying in packs/roleplaying on the forum in general, though it wasn't much of a discussion and currently seems to be up to each moderator as they see fit. This is my opinion:
Koa wrote: With that being said, I think any physical reminders for roleplay should only be given out if it is warranted, e.g. the post content is clearly roleplay (keep in mind, roleplay can take place from various points of view, not just second person) or otherwise suggests or contains elements of roleplay in which said user is not the individual being described or is not actually doing something. And if, though the roleplay content may appear miniscule, e.g. *runs around and gives everyone potatoes* a reminder should be given if it continues in consecutive posts made by that individual or spreads to other individuals in their posts. (Basically, avoiding "The Longest Race to the Top of the World" thread. I don't think anyone remembers that, though.)

In the context of your case, it's hard to consider it roleplay knowingly. Second and first person are obvious, but third person is a little tricky to tag; it would be much easier to peg if we knew what point of view this user nornally roleplays in. Realistically, we can't (and won't) know that for everyone. It is then fair to regard all points-of-view as roleplaying if they suggest elements present in roleplaying e.g. a reference to an action or behavior that said user wouldn't be performing themselves.
In short, we'd have to evaluate each post/"potential roleplay" in context. The amount and the way it is said may have a part in determining how we view it.