Rules for Pack Central

Make or join a pack in Pack Central. Please read the Pack Central FAQ before posting.

Moderator: Koa

Forum rules
Please read the Pack Central FAQ before posting.
Thundo Puffs
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lord of the Oats

Re: Rules for Pack Central (updated 6/25/15)

Post by Thundo Puffs » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Koa wrote:
Thundo Puffs wrote:Regarding the roleplay on the pack thread, does that include IN the thread as well? Sometimes I see things in the intros such as "hello traveler," or "I am ---, and I welcome you to ----. Allow me to show you around."

Would those kind of things be acceptable? I wasn't sure if that fell into the
(including using roleplay to introduce the details of your pack) Sorry if I stated the obvious; I just want to make sure. ^^
Generally, when first person is used or the inclusion of "you" occurs and some opening that follows, e.g., "You walk into a bramble clearing and see many wolves watching you," then yes, we are more likely to call it out as roleplay. In turn, yes, that would be included into the "using roleplay to introduce details of your pack." Sometimes, the call isn't so easily made; when users write in entirely third person and are detailing the history of the pack, it can be confusing. We recently discussed this in the Moderators forum regarding roleplaying in packs/roleplaying on the forum in general, though it wasn't much of a discussion and currently seems to be up to each moderator as they see fit. This is my opinion:
Koa wrote: With that being said, I think any physical reminders for roleplay should only be given out if it is warranted, e.g. the post content is clearly roleplay (keep in mind, roleplay can take place from various points of view, not just second person) or otherwise suggests or contains elements of roleplay in which said user is not the individual being described or is not actually doing something. And if, though the roleplay content may appear miniscule, e.g. *runs around and gives everyone potatoes* a reminder should be given if it continues in consecutive posts made by that individual or spreads to other individuals in their posts. (Basically, avoiding "The Longest Race to the Top of the World" thread. I don't think anyone remembers that, though.)

In the context of your case, it's hard to consider it roleplay knowingly. Second and first person are obvious, but third person is a little tricky to tag; it would be much easier to peg if we knew what point of view this user nornally roleplays in. Realistically, we can't (and won't) know that for everyone. It is then fair to regard all points-of-view as roleplaying if they suggest elements present in roleplaying e.g. a reference to an action or behavior that said user wouldn't be performing themselves.
In short, we'd have to evaluate each post/"potential roleplay" in context. The amount and the way it is said may have a part in determining how we view it.
Oh my, well I can can see why it can be a tricky subject to answer/explain, since role-play can be done in so many different ways. Thank you for the explanation, Koa!

DarkWolf_
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DarkWolf_ » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:57 pm

I created my own website for my pack, is that were we Roleplay or is there a certain place for packs?

ZeRivet
Former WQ Moderator

Post by ZeRivet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:05 am

DarkWolf_ wrote:I created my own website for my pack, is that were we Roleplay or is there a certain place for packs?
Roleplaying on your own site tends to be a bit easier, but you and your pack members can technically use the WolfQuest RolePlaying Thread to roleplay if you wish. If you decide to roleplay in said thread, however, you must follow all the rules listed on the front page. So like I said if you wish to have a bit more freedom when it comes to roleplaying- your own pack-site is probably better! :D

Here is the link for the Roleplaying thread though just in case:

WolfQuest Roleplay Thread
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68437
| | | “I'm allergic to rocks hitting me in the face.” | | |
Avatar (C) me | Quote (C) Mark Rowe| All The Rocks

DarkWolf_
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DarkWolf_ » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:23 am

Ok, thanks im might just use the website more often, though

occult

Post by occult » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Hello! I've been meaning to ask this for quite a bit (aka years RIP) but never got around to it, SO!
It does state that packs that have other canine species are not allowed on WolfQuest, but does this rule also apply to those who have wolf-only applications open on WolfQuest, but allow different species options on their website? Or is it a "If you allow any other species thats not a wolf, regardless of if its on WQ or not, it may not be posted in Pack Central" type of deal?

Thank you for your time! <3

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
I x am x the x Revenant
Dressed well and decadent
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:36 pm

As it says on the Pack Central FAQ, we can't really control what you do on your pack's website, so if your pack allows other canids there but not on WQ, we can't really say or do anything about it. It's not particularly encouraged, though.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Archangel Armageddon
Pup
Pup

Post by Archangel Armageddon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:42 am

Hello, I've been browsing through the Pack Central threads recently, and now I want to create a pack of my own. However, I'm a little anxious that I'll do something wrong.
After creating a pack, are you allowed to do anything you want (as long as it follows and respects the WQ rules and community)? I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time, I'm just a little too paranoid, haha.

~ Yours sincerely, Archangel Armageddon
SKULL
AND
ROSES

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:52 am

Hey there!
Archangel Armageddon wrote:
After creating a pack, are you allowed to do anything you want (as long as it follows and respects the WQ rules and community)?
"anything you want" is a bit vague, but as long as your pack respects the Forum Guidelines and the Pack Central do's and don'ts, you should be fine. If there's anything specific regarding the details of your pack you're concerned about, you're more than welcome to ask about it!

And, don't worry, you're not wasting anyone's time. I recognise being overly paranoid about these kind of things, but no worries - we really don't bite. Cheers ^^

Archangel Armageddon
Pup
Pup

Post by Archangel Armageddon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Okay, thank you! One question: say you've made your pack, and it followed the respected guidelines of WQ, can you invite your pack members to a MP game on the your own pack thread (when I say that, I mean like tell everybody in your pack so that they're aware and can join MP), or do you just message them? I'm not too sure. :?
Forgive me if I've missed something in the post; I don't want to come off as irritating. :lol:

~ Yours sincerely, Archangel Armageddon
SKULL
AND
ROSES

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes, you're free to use your pack thread to invite your pack members to join a multiplayer game.

Archangel Armageddon
Pup
Pup

Post by Archangel Armageddon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Okay, one last question (I'm sorry, lol): what happens if you've got a plot idea, and it's already existing in another pack's thread but you aren't aware?

~ Archangel Armageddon
SKULL
AND
ROSES

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Packs cannot "own" ideas, so creating a pack with a plot similar to another one is fine as long as you have not directly copied anything from the other pack. It might annoy the leader of the other pack (though that depends on the person, really), but you won't get in trouble for it, especially if you weren't even aware that the other pack existed.

Fallenshadow1319
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Fallenshadow1319 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 am

Ok, so I'm creating a pack right now. I just started, so the website isn't finished and I haven't started on a thread here yet, so if you answer no to this, it won't be too much time wasted-

I read through the whole rules, and I've noticed that fantasy settings aren't allowed. So really, two questions: I thought that controlling elements was allowed? Maybe that was before you updated this. So here's my second question: My pack is based off a book that I'm writing. The native wolves have wings, and the main character is a visitor who does not have wings but can control plants. After reading through this, I guess that neither one of these is allowed, so I won't be able to post a WQ thread for my pack because it will be breaking the rules? I'm sorry if these are confusing questions, let me know if I need to clarify.

Also, sorry if I sound rude or harsh ^-^ I'm not trying to be, it kinda came out that way. But I am a little discouraged at the thought that I won't be able to advertise my pack here.
-Moved to Froward Schatzi-

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:37 am

• 1. Controlling elements is considered magic and is not allowed.
    2. If the wolves in the pack have wings, magical powers, anything that goes past semi-realistic and into fantasy, it is not allowed on WolfQuest. We can't really control what you do on your own site so you can have those things on your site (I don't know for sure about the other moderators, but personally I really do not approve of getting around the rules in that way, though) as long as the content on your thread meets the WQ rules. Though honestly from the sounds of it I'm not sure how you'd be able to get around it with your pack anyway since it sounds like the fantasy elements play a pretty big role.

Fallenshadow1319
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Fallenshadow1319 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Katserin Kynsi wrote:
  • 1. Controlling elements is considered magic and is not allowed.
    2. If the wolves in the pack have wings, magical powers, anything that goes past semi-realistic and into fantasy, it is not allowed on WolfQuest. We can't really control what you do on your own site so you can have those things on your site (I don't know for sure about the other moderators, but personally I really do not approve of getting around the rules in that way, though) as long as the content on your thread meets the WQ rules. Though honestly from the sounds of it I'm not sure how you'd be able to get around it with your pack anyway since it sounds like the fantasy elements play a pretty big role.
I understand. Thank you.
-Moved to Froward Schatzi-