Pack Site Creation Help

Make or join a pack in Pack Central. Please read the Pack Central FAQ before posting.

Moderator: Koa

Forum rules
Please read the Pack Central FAQ before posting.
Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: Pack Site Creation Help (requests, critiques, and more)

Post by Grin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Okay, so the first step is to log into your Administration Panel. You can find the link to it at the bottom of your site. Next, click on the General tab, and from there, you should find a link under Forum that is labeled Categories and Forums. From there, you can add, modify, and/or delete categories and forums on your site.

Hope that helped!

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Seranda7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Seranda7 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Sethos wrote:Okay Jay, I'll look into it. =)

Thunder Coast Pack Critic

First Impression - The background appears to be the dominant graphic on the site, so it catches my eye at first.
Appearance - 5/10

Overall, it has a nice layout, but I find it to be slightly plain. The color scheme and background do not correlate well together. I would suggest either creating a green background or making a new skin that matches the current one. Perhaps you could give the current background a green hue in order for it to match, but I don't know how well green wolves would look.

The forum index itself is what's so ordinary. If you made a skin that matched the background, I'm sure you could "spice up" the forum by creating forum icons out of the wolf faces as well. The floral patterns on each category seem very repetitive due to the very brief forum descriptions too. If they are going to be short, it might be best to use a solid color, gradient, or a subtler pattern so that when one scrolls down the length of the forum index, it doesn't seem so redundant. These images should be set as the background-image of your th
(table header), in case you do decide to switch it out.

Also, as I mentioned under First Impression, your background is the eye grabber of the site. It would be neat if you had a banner of some sort in the header. In doing so, I believe it would also take away from the plainness of the site and make it much more appealing. After working with Forumotion sites a while, I've noticed that customizing them is much more limited than other forum hosts. For instance, you cannot add widgets or tables above the forum like in Proboards or Invision Free. However, you can add widgets along the side of your forum and even create your own custom ones. I'm mentioning this because I think that adding some sort of side bar might do your forum index some good. You could add things such as a welcome message, updates, contest information, or anything you can think of. That would give your site a more personalized feel. For instance, when viewing the forum as a guest, the only thing that tells me this is a pack site is the forum header and your scrolling announcement. There's nothing for guests to read through about what's currently going on inside the forum. Consider a side bar as a lure of sorts. If it sounds like your members are actively participating on the forum and there are plenty of things to participate in (such as role playing), it would make your site much more informative and interesting.

Coding - 8/10
There isn't much for me to critique when it comes forumotion coding, especially when premade skins are used. However, one thing that I can suggest is perhaps fixing your background in place. That way, it doesn't scroll with the rest of the forum. Even if you didn't do this, the background still looks nice. =)

Creativity/Uniqueness - 4/10
As long as you personalize your site like I suggested in the appearance section, the creativity and uniqueness of it will definitely increase. You made the awesome background, so take your skills a step farther and work with the forum itself! :D

Advice/Suggestions - given throughout the above
Comments - none, really ^^

Thank you Sethos, I'll get working on improving my forum! ^^
Hey there!

You! Yes, you! You attractive person you!

Wanna know a secret?

http://www.serenityriverpack.com
(At 140+ members, we're the largest pack on WQ.)

Pallatsera

Post by Pallatsera » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Hey Sethos - I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help you out?

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:48 am

Yey, I can finally post here again; I see much has happened since~

A showcase sounds great, Sethos. =D

Thanks for that, Dom. xD

-Magpie-
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by -Magpie- » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:53 am

Greetings, Sethos! I was wondering would it be possible, if you could send a site in for critique if you have no pack post yet? I've been working hard on my site, and I haven't come round to making a pack post here. So may I most it for critique?
Eeeeyup. I'm Magpie, but I like to be called Feather. I just got my lazy rump back on here,
so if I had any troubles with y'll back in the day, I apologize!
So, I am a Whovian and I am a avid rager.

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Sethos I pmed you the example form!
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm looking over it now. :] Sorry it took me so long to come back on here. WolfQuest isn't working on my PC, but I'm at my grandmother's right now.
Pallatsera wrote:Hey Sethos - I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help you out?

No one has posted requests for anything other than critiques as of yet, but if you'd like, you can suggest things for the first post...? I'm not really sure. x) I was thinking about adding a basic html/css guide.

-Magpie- wrote:Greetings, Sethos! I was wondering would it be possible, if you could send a site in for critique if you have no pack post yet? I've been working hard on my site, and I haven't come round to making a pack post here. So may I most it for critique?
Of course! We'd love to critique it for you. :]

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

1BitJay

Post by 1BitJay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks. I will over the first postvabs maybe come up with some ideas.
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ

1BitJay

DragonflySpirit
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by DragonflySpirit » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Name: DragonflySpirit
Pack Name: The Kingdom Of Petronilla
Pack Topic Link: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48980
Pack Site: http://kingdomofpetronilla.forumotion.com/
Preferred Delivery: Through PM, please.
Other: ^^Thank you~

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:19 pm

JayMist - Alright, sounds good. :)

DragonflySpirit - Thanks for requesting critique from us! Either I or another critic will get to it as soon as we can.

_____

I think I am going to add a feedback section on the front post where users who have received help from us can write comments about the topic for the its visitors to see. Do you guys think this would be a good idea?

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

1BitJay

Post by 1BitJay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Sethos wrote:JayMist - Alright, sounds good. :)

DragonflySpirit - Thanks for requesting critique from us! Either I or another critic will get to it as soon as we can.

_____

I think I am going to add a feedback section on the front post where users who have received help from us can write comments about the topic for the its visitors to see. Do you guys think this would be a good idea?
That would be a good idea Sethos.
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ

1BitJay

Pallatsera

Post by Pallatsera » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I think a feedback section would be great, though perhaps not the basic guide. We dont want to make the first post too long and confusing.

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:50 am

True, and I think that it would be a waste of space. Either you know css or you don't in this topic's case. ^^

Also, perhaps feedback isn't necessary. I could simply make a Filled Requests section for everything to show how many people we've helped. What do you guys think?

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Silver_Sky

Post by Silver_Sky » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Critique Request
Name: Silver_Sky
Pack Name: Dark Ember Pack
Pack Topic Link: (specify if it is not created yet.)http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=51850
Pack Site: (If your pack's site is private, then you must PM this form to one of our critics.) www.darkemberpack.webs.com
Preferred Delivery: (do you care if your critique is posted on this thread, or would you prefer it if we sent the critique via PM?) I dont care, either way is fine. The critic can choose.
Other: The site is new, and my first one.

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Sethos wrote:True, and I think that it would be a waste of space. Either you know css or you don't in this topic's case. ^^

Also, perhaps feedback isn't necessary. I could simply make a Filled Requests section for everything to show how many people we've helped. What do you guys think?
Yeah, I think that would be better~