Anyone read promise of the wolves?

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Anyone read promise of the wolves?

Post by pawnee » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:51 am

It would be cool to see...I would want to be more realistic looking instead of cartoonish...like the warrior mangas.

what do you think the age range for the book is? I found it in the adult fiction section. I think its more of a teen or older youth novel than for adults...I dunno maybe it was just the bookstore I go to that does that.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

TheSpiritoftheWolf
Pup
Pup
Location: Currently in my den sadly awaiting the fact that I must return to school in a few hours...

Post by TheSpiritoftheWolf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:31 pm

It's in the Adult Fiction section on some online websites too. But I'd say it's aimed more for the mid- to late-teens.
)........(\_
( (....._/{"-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
FFFF00
00BF40
FFFF80
Proud Alpha Male of Articspack
Proud member of Night Star Pack
Known on Multiplayer as Kaalen
My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SpiritoftheWolf28232

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:16 pm

Like adults can read whatever they want...I just found there was nothing in the book that would stop a parent from allowing their child or youth to read. Like, Wolves of Time has adult themes in it...violence, romance, swearing. Promise of the wolves seems geared to a younger generation...
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

crow_noir
Pup
Pup

Post by crow_noir » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:19 am

This is one of my all time wolfie fiction novels. It has way more realistic wolf type behavior in it than most others. It doesn't just take some human and slap a wolf covering on them.

Sure, it may not be the greatest book ever written, but it certainly won me over with having believable WOLF characters.

Sure, there's other great fiction out there with "wolf" characters, but they all deal with very human situations. This story had wolves with wolf situations. (OK, and a peppering of humans too. ... but since when don't we interrupt goings on in the world?)

Count me in with those eagerly awaiting the sequel.

[edited for spelling]

TheSpiritoftheWolf
Pup
Pup
Location: Currently in my den sadly awaiting the fact that I must return to school in a few hours...

Post by TheSpiritoftheWolf » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I agree with both Pawnee and crow_noir. It does have few 'human' situations and, while it is for some reason adult fiction, geared toward the younger generations.

~The one and only
Spirit
)........(\_
( (....._/{"-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
FFFF00
00BF40
FFFF80
Proud Alpha Male of Articspack
Proud member of Night Star Pack
Known on Multiplayer as Kaalen
My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SpiritoftheWolf28232

Ariana
Pup
Pup

Post by Ariana » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Greymuzzle wrote:DO u know when teh second oen will be out??? Im nearly finished and want to get to the second oen fight away!
I don't know when the second one will be out but she's working on it right now. :) Making great progress with it, too!

I loved on how much wolf research went into making the book and I can't wait for her next book! Apparently it's a trilogy!
Avatar done by Willow. Thanks Willow! :D

nightlin
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by nightlin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 pm

its okay not great but readable
"A day of wolves and the worlds ending!"
~Aragorn,the lord of the rings

Proud warrior of The Forest Ridge Pack!

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:02 pm

i have read promise of the wolves in my opinin it was pretty good, but not as good as, lets say, the sight. Oh and the second book if anyone was wondering is called Secrets of the wolves and its coming out this year,2010, but i'm not sure when exactly.

Double U
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Double U » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:59 pm

really? i was wondering when the next one was coming out. soon, hopefully
Through Success, we gain Prize
Through Failure, we gain Knowledge
Through Knowledge, we gain Success
Through Failure, we gain Success
Through Failure, we gain Prize
--by me

ShadowRunnerXD
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadowRunnerXD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 am

the author of the book is dorothy hearst and she has a twitter account she uses like a diary.
she is in the process of making the second book,she is a sorta noob to writing

another good book(much better i belive) is the clan of the cave bear,and all of its sequels.they are also set during the iceage and the main character is the first to pick up a wolf pup and keep it. there are wolves in all of them ,but most arent big characters, the author of those books is jean m auel.her books are regarded as classics just like call of the wild or gone with the wind.

i personally loved the wolves promise,its hard to write a book an get it published. ive written many and none have passed through. and i have taken collage classes on the subject. in fact jean auel also read the wolves promise.on the back of the hardcopy's dust cover ,there is a review by her.not exactly sure what it said ,but it was high praise considering how reclusive and uncaring my fav author jean can be.
when the going gets tough the tough eat chocolate ice cream right out of the container XD

wolfzrule555
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfzrule555 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:44 pm

this book sounds facsinating ill have to keep my eye out for it not literally keep my eye out for it but you get what iu mean
Just be your self
just be kind forgiving and understanding
And you will find who you truly are !
maybe some day we will all meet in that place our mother nature calls heaven ~prefix 103

Insane Izzy

Post by Insane Izzy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 pm

I do have some likes and dislikes about this book. Personally I think it was a waste of a few hours of reading. The plot was far more complicated than it needed to be and some of the things the characters did were not at all realistic. I liked some of the characters but the idea of a "pup killer" as the pack leader [btw, is this where the pup killer roleplays are coming from?] seemed a bit off for me. It was somewhat dificult to actually know what the characters were doing as the main character sometimes goes off on the way something looks or smells. Also, their journey seemed a bit ridiculous, especially if the one pup who was small and weak survived on his own during the trip, and how did they even know where they were going? the other wolves just left them behind in the dust.

I suppose I would recommend to read it in a local libraray, but I do not reccommend you buy this book, especially the hard cover.

I bought it when it first came out because Richard Adams [author of Watership Down] gave it a good review on the back cover. Looking back, the book is not worth the $20 I payed.

StoneRose
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by StoneRose » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:06 am

Amazing books. Reading it right now actually.
Say bye-bye to Stone!
That's right, I'm leaving. :/
Not forever, though~
Please ban/deactivate my account.

PEACE OUT, DUDES.