How animation studios approach gendered animals in one picture

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
DaniBeez

How animation studios approach gendered animals in one picture

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:19 pm

Too funny! I was instantly reminded of Alpha and Omega, and Balto. What movies can you think of that did this, with wolves or another animal? Can you think of any films where the animals' appearances were not dramatically modified to match their gender?

DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Nek0chan
Pup
Pup
Name: LupusAlbus, Neko

Re: How animation studios approach gendered animals in one picture

Post by Nek0chan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:44 pm

That it's so true! Animation studios really make it exaggerated, haha.
"Sheep and Wolves" comes to mind, it's almost as bad as the picture.
╔.. .═════════════╗

"𝕾𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖔𝖜𝖑𝖘 𝖆𝖙 𝖒𝖎𝖉𝖓𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙.
𝕸𝖎𝖘𝖙 𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖘 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖏𝖆𝖜𝖘.
𝕾𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖍𝖎𝖙𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖓𝖔𝖜."

~ Unknown.

╚═════════════. ..╝

Sierra Faith
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sierra

Re: How animation studios approach gendered animals in one picture

Post by Sierra Faith » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:15 pm

I know for The Lion King it wasn’t too bad, the animation seemed to keep both genders in an equal light. We can also look at the original Jungle Book movie, the female and male wolves were pretty close together. One of the movies that definitely made females into a stereotype was HTTYD 3 with the light fury specifically. Her character basically is just “looks pretty, has a heart tail, and complains about everything” and I was a little heated when I saw what her potential design could have been.