Nonfiction Wolf Book Discussion

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Nonfiction Wolf Book Discussion

Post by LamarWolf » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 am

This is just a thread to discuss nonfiction books about wolves.
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

DaniBeez

Re: Nonfiction Wolf Book Discussion

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 am

I guess the only nonfiction book about wolves that I have read parts of is the 2003 "Wolves: Behaviour, Ecology, and Conservation" one that pops up a lot on this forum. I never did finish summarizing the chapters of it. That was an overly ambitious project :P !
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 am

DaniBeez wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 am
I guess the only nonfiction book about wolves that I have read parts of is the 2003 "Wolves: Behaviour, Ecology, and Conservation" one that pops up a lot on this forum. I never did finish summarizing the chapters of it. That was an overly ambitious project :P !
I haven't read that book, but if you want a less ambitious book on wolves a fairly new book, "The Wisdom of the Wolves" by Jim and Jamie Dutcher is a good one that is one of my favorites, and touches on a lot of wolf topics such as behavior, ecology, and conservation.
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:52 am

I don't know much about the Dutchers and their captive pack, but that may still be an interesting read on wolves from a naturalist's perspective nontheless!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:26 am

I'd say that my favorite nonfiction wolf book is probably Wolves in the Land of Salmon by David Moskowitz, which is about the wolves living along the Pacific Northwest coast. It has some good information on the natural history of these wolves, and I liked the photographs of the coastal wolves and their environment.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

NobodyWhoIsHere
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nobody

Post by NobodyWhoIsHere » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Might I suggest one of my more recent readings: A Wolf Called Romeo, by Nick Jans. It is an account of the years a wild black wolf had innumerable friendly interactions with the people and dogs of Juneau, Alaska. In between events is a heaping of knowledge and research that is rather interesting. In it is everything from history of the (very few) hostile wolf-human interactions and what caused them to simple descriptions of an average wolf's diet, adding to the reader's understanding of both the wolf and it's far away brethren.

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Called-Rome ... 8&qid=&sr=

Wolves: Spirit of the Wild, by Todd K. Fuller. This is a slim volume of about 185 pages, which amounts to much less actual text given the large font size and abundance of wolf photography, but it provides a nice overview of the wolf as a whole. The pictures are gorgeous, though some expressions, I admit, got a chuckle out of me. In general, this isn't a comprehensive guide to wolves by no means, by the info is up to date and makes for a good first foray into nonfiction wolf-related books. Anyway, I found it at the book annex section at Barnes and Noble and gave it a spin, so I decided to include it here.

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/Wolves-Spirit-To ... 0785837388

For what I am about to read, I have Wisdom of Wolves on my list and on my shelf, but to purchase in the future I have American Wolf and Rick McIntyre's Yellowstone Wolves series.
β€œπ•ƒπ• π•§π•–, π•Ÿπ• π•₯ 𝕙𝕒π•₯𝕖, π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 π•“π•¦π•£π••π•–π•Ÿ 𝕨𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕣π•ͺ. 𝔹𝕦π•₯ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ 𝕗𝕒𝕔π•₯ π•žπ•’π•œπ•–π•€ π•šπ•₯ π•Ÿπ•  π•π•šπ•˜π•™π•₯𝕖𝕣.”
― β„•π•šπ•”π•œ π•π•’π•Ÿπ•€, 𝔸 π•Žπ• π•π•— ℂ𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕕 β„π• π•žπ•–π•