Best wolf/werewolf books you've read?

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Elliott

Re: Best wolf/werewolf books you've read?

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

I adore the Nightshade series. :wolf:
They/them only, please!
⤐ "Is not the balance of our world the concern of all?"
~ Nava, Balto II: Wolf Quest

Harmonie 780
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Harm

Post by Harmonie 780 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 pm

I think the best wolf book I've read so far is Firstborn by Tor Seidler. The story is really good, though its not very realistic in some aspects but I would still definitely recommend it. It happens mostly in Yellowstone (or around it) and the pack is kind of a rag-tag group of wolves who eventually learn to deal with each other, some more than others though. Its told through Maggie the magpie, and her adventures with a wolf called Blue Boy and his pack.

Another book I have but have yet to read is "The hidden life of Wolves" By National Geographic. I've only skimmed through it so far (sadly time to read is hard to come by :( ) and its a little outdated because they use terms like alpha and beta and such to describe the pack they're following, which is the Sawtooth pack. Its very interesting though from the small pieces I've read, and the pictures are fantastic. There's also a lot about wolf life, pups, wolves' re-introduction to Yellowstone, almost everything you could think of. I would recommend it if you were interested in learning more about wolves and their daily lives.

Happy reading yall! :wolf:

Nek0chan
Pup
Pup
Name: LupusAlbus, Neko

Post by Nek0chan » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:25 am

"Call of the Wild" by Jack London. :wolf: It was my first wolf book, In fact.

I guess Twilight by Stephanie Meyer counts too, right ? I mean, it has werewolves... :P
╔.. .═════════════╗

"𝕾𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖔𝖜𝖑𝖘 𝖆𝖙 𝖒𝖎𝖉𝖓𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙.
𝕸𝖎𝖘𝖙 𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖘 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖏𝖆𝖜𝖘.
𝕾𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖍𝖎𝖙𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖓𝖔𝖜."

~ Unknown.

╚═════════════. ..╝

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:59 pm

I used to love the Wolves of the Beyond series as a kid, I'm actually getting back into it a bit now all these years later. While they're not entirely realistic (aside from the fantasy elements, obviously), both the realistic and nonrealistic elements are interesting and pretty well-written. Of course there's definitely some messed-up and sad things in that series, and as an adult going back and rereading them, the messed-up things are so much worse to me now and just have me like...oof. Good lord!

One of the best ones I've read though, and one that really shows pack, is the Wolf Brother series. The only 'hierarchy' stuff going on in that one is, of course, hunting/protecting/organizing type hierarchy, not the brutal-for-no-good reason, unrealistic, excessive 'hierarchy' of some media like WoTB. I like WoTB (the books, not the horrible, cruel, trainwreck society of the wolf clans because Good Lord Yikes; while there is some good, in other ways they are little to no better than the outclanners). However, while wolves are wild animals with fangs and are not 'uwu fluffy puppy,' they tend to not be that self-destructively brutal irl, and they tend to be families led by a breeding pair instead of how people previously thought they were. Which makes sense; a brutal, cruel, 'dictatorship' ruled by violence and infighting doesn't exactly bode well for survival (of either the individuals, the pack, or the species). If there's just fighting, cruelty, and violence, how would they ever accomplish anything like hunting or raising young?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I stumbled across this years ago and don't even have the link anymore, but there was an article about how, in one of the rare occasions for a non-typical wolf pack structure, the wolves eventually deposed their dictator-like, cruel 'leader,' and one of the pack members became the new leader, and the pack led a productive life with no in-fighting after the cruel wolf was eventually gotten rid of. So on the rare occasions that something like that happens, it looks like they correct the problem if they are able to, and again that makes sense, because a 'leader' is really no good if all she does is attack and terrorize her own packmates.
Edit: Found the link to it, it's called "The Druid Wolf Pack Story" and this article is on PBS: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/in-the- ... story/209/
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:33 pm

I enjoy the How to Be a Werewolf webcomic. It's more about people than werewolves per se, but there are lots of werewolves!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur