Wolf Pack vs Hyena

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Wolf Pack vs Hyena

Post by La Striata » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:47 am

A preview of BBC2's next episode of Wild Arabia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0154g4v
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Nordue

Re: Wolf Pack vs Hyena

Post by Nordue » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 am

• Ha, bets anyone? I have a feeling the wolves will pester the hyena long enough that it will abandon. At the same time, Arabians are a small subspecies. The hyena could shake em up one by one, maybe. Tough call!

When I saw how big the pack was at first, I was surprised. I knew beforehand that Arabian "packs" were normally comprised of only a few individuals. But I guess that can change with the circumstances.

Looks like howling to regroup has some disadvantages too.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm

I think the small pack sizes of Arabian wolves have more to do with circumstances (environment, food availability, etc.) rather than congenital behaviour. This video (showing an area with abundant food) seems to confirm this.

I place my bets on the wolves, simply because of their numerical advantage. As the narrator said, one on one, a wolf would end up as a pile of meat and fur. I imagine, if motivated, they could take turns nipping the striped hyena as wild dogs do to lone spotted hyenas in Africa.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

liam123hynes
Pup
Pup

Post by liam123hynes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:32 pm

First of all, this match is unfair because one hyena won't stand a chance against a wolf pack. But if a hyena clan were to fight a wolf pack, the hyena clan would win. Because hyenas have a stronger bite force than a wolf. Also, hyenas are thick animals. Even when a lion attacks a hyena,the lion has to really bite down on its neck to kill it. And so, the hyenas will certainly out match a wolf.

Edit: Also, hyenas have a bone crushing bite. Wolves, have a weaker bite. But, wolves still have a strong bite.
Last edited by valkea on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding info from double post

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Do not double post, liam123hynes. If you have something to add, edit your previous post instead.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

liam123hynes
Pup
Pup

Post by liam123hynes » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Yeah thanks.

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 pm

liam123hynes wrote:Yeah thanks.
Also, please make sure to include three or more words in your post next time. Thanks.