Unrealistic Wolf Characters~ Your Opinion!

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.

Do you agree with unrealistic wolves?

Yes
11%
No
21%
Maybe
4%
Depends
64%

Total votes: 53

Turtle Nerd
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Unrealistic Wolf Characters~ Your Opinion!

Post by Turtle Nerd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:50 pm

It sorta depends. Some powers can be like power playing. Super powers are quite unnecessary I feel. It's fun to RP as on occasion though, depending on who you're roleplaying with.

ravenshadow31
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ravenshadow31 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm

I guess it depends for me. If the story is realistic and has a forest and a lake/ocean/pond and realistic prey or other animals the wolf should be realistic. If it has a tiny unrealistic detail I wouldn't mind/notcie it in the story anyways. Only fantasy storys should have wolves with pink/purple/blue et.c fur wings, weird claws, Powers, Human abilites (Speaking to people/ walking hind legs)

Unlucky 13
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Unlucky 13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:38 am

I don't really mind unrealistic wolf characters. When I was still role-playing most of my characters had unrealistic eye colours and some had unrealistic markings. I don't mind them as long as people set boundaries, so no ultimate powers and similar things. Unrealistic characters can definitely look awesome sometimes [skulls instead of proper heads] but there does sometimes need to be limitations when coming up with a unrealistic character.
Moved to A Jokers Curse

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 am

Personally I prefer wolf characters to be realistic, and I don't like wolves to be portrayed as evil. However, I don't mind things like unrealistic eye/fur colors, as long as it isn't overdone.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Post by Pelican » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:23 am

For me, it depends...

TenderPaws
Pup
Pup

Post by TenderPaws » Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 am

I totally accept unrealistic wolves but in many aspects it also depends...
If it's a wolf that's way too cluttered in colors and accessories I totally won't appreciate it.
But for example, if it's a brown wolf with pastel colors and some soft pink flowers with vines or something, I guess that's okey for me. Also distinctive soft scents are ok by me, same as if it has some kind of "supernaturallity" like fading softly in the winter's wind or something but anything else like eye lazers and just marvel heros powers, I think that's a bit too much.
I once saw a wolf an 'artist' did that had a rainbow coat, glowy eyes and on top of that had like this long and "fashionable" hair (oh yeah, I think wolves with hair look ridiculous, just stating that) and still had these leg warmers with this ribbon on the tail... I mean, all that together is just truly awful.
I have a wolf OC myself: blue eyes with a soft glow to it, she's all white with these thin and soft turquoise markings under her eyes. She also has a very long and pretty tail with small turquoise beads "ponytailing" some of the tail hairs. But that's about it.

So yeah, in my opinion, way too cluttered wolves stop looking like wolves after all those additions and honestly they only end up looking like clowns.
An unrealistic wolf doesn't mean it needs to be full of useless stuff in it. You simply need to know how to give it beauty and WHEN to stop.
..... (\_/)
(... {.' '-} <( woof~! )
.)).. /';.\
((_( )'_\\,,
"I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways."

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 am

Re-thinking this concept over, I do agree with unrealistic character, though it does still depend on what that character holds. I do have a few characters myself with unrealistic markings and color hues, though nothing that is cluttered in a way where the character is just really different in a way then how I would predict.
My one character is a chestnut colored wolf with dark pinkish red eyes, striped ankles and other markings surrounding the figure itself, nothing to mistaken it's way to perform, it's still an animal that almost resembles something unique and not totally mysterious. Since I don't mind specific character links, it just seems utterly impossible to keep up with the character with many features at one time for me. I can be satisfied with little details, but if anything that clarifies more than four specifications, no thanks.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

cheetwo forever
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by cheetwo forever » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Only if it is realistic ENOUGhlH like I do not except powers or power play I only except accessories such as blades or collars no shirts or pants or human fabric clothing but things like horned wolves different colored orbs or pelt or wings is fine but sometimes things like wings and mood changing orbs get annoying cause those "ALWAYS" have to be doing something too
iNsAnIt¥ is just a new version of being sane. ~ corrupted cheetwo ~

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:36 pm

I suppose I'm with the majority of people who voted on the poll: It depends. It depends on how unrealistic the character in question is, among other factors.

When I was new to RPing and rather uneducated about wolves I would have unrealistic characters with unrealistic eye colors and markings. *At one point I even made a sparkle-wolf* .-. But now I'm rather sensitive and cautious of unrealistic traits in my characters, as well as *occasionally* other peoples characters. But again, it depends.

If the character in question has a reason for accessories/unrealism (for example, a collar put on by biologists, a blue eyed wolf having domestic dog in the bloodline or a blue eyed wolf having a disease which makes their eyes appear blue) then I am usually much more accepting of unrealism in characters. Otherwise, if the creator has slightly unrealistic characters (purple eyes, an unrealistic marking, strange accessories) I feel compelled to remind them of such. Both cases are acceptable+tolerable by far, and where it becomes unacceptable is where wolves have power/magic, where characters godmode/powerplay, unacquirable accessories and where characters have eye-aching neon colors. In which case I'll do something, and if my actions do nothing, hope an authority figure does something about it. TenderPaws states a good thought at the end of her post which can somewhat summarize what she (and myself, to an extent) wrote:
TenderPaws wrote:You simply need to know how to give it beauty and WHEN to stop.
While I tolerate slight unrealism, I do appreciate the effort some people put in making realistic characters c: It was interesting reading other opinions on this subject.
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

xblackwolfxx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by xblackwolfxx » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:32 pm

I do and I don't believe that unrealistic wolves are "right."

I believe that they fit in when it's not in realistic roleplay. In fact, I don't even believe that they should be in roleplay. Unnatural colors in a realistic roleplay somehow get on my nerves, especially when they're not accepted. As for powers and odd mutations: I try to avoid them in roleplay because you'll always have that one party-pooper who comes along and makes a gary/mary-sue. They'll say they have the power for everything.
And accessories? I'm okay with them, such as a tooth necklace. I always try to make accessories that either the character has found or has natural objects. Much like a rope necklace, maybe something that the character found while he/she was on a journey, or even a leafy bracelet that was put together and has some sentimental value. I try not to put them on a character because they just decided to "knit this purple & orange scarf from the thistle branches they found."
However, I am perfectly fine with any of these out of roleplay, such as a fursona or furry that isn't used as roleplay. I always like putting myself into my fursonas; I had a red bandanna that had the Coca-Cola(R) sign on it with ray-ban glasses. I never used her in roleplay, however, but if I did, it was a different version without all of the clothes and human-like personalities.

So again, I do think there is a right and wrong time to use unnatural and unrealistic characters.
I feel like I got so much weight off my shoulders for that *~*