PBS Nature's Radioactive Wolves

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
oxoDestinyoxo

PBS Nature's Radioactive Wolves

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:08 pm

I saw this while browsing another forum, and gave it a watch. It is about how wolves and more importantly, other wildlife, including bison and moose, have made a living in Pripyat, Ukraine and the surrounding areas after the Chernobyl Power Plant Meltdown on 26 April 1986. The zone now looks amazing, and it would be an amazing place to visit, if it weren't for the radiation levels and all.

But yeah, I highly suggest you all give this a watch. It is really awesome. =)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: PBS Nature's Radioactive Wolves

Post by Koa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 pm

(Since this centers around a video, you may want to contact a moderator and get them to move it to "Wolf Multimedia," where the rest of the documentaries are. :wink: )

Watching it now Destiny - thank you!
Since I haven't completed watching it, I won't say much, but I find it amazing how these animals can manage to survive whereas we could for awhile but we also know what could happen to us and the side effects we would experience.

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Oh, haha. Thanks for that. I just did so. ^_^

I haven't watched the last few minutes of it yet, but I am certainly amazed at how most of the animals are not even effected. Mice less than a mile from the reactor are effected somewhat in terms of deformities, and cat fish in the cooling pond are 8 feet long and longer, but otherwise the wolves, bison and horses are not even close to being effected. It is really weird, considering most of those animals were born in the zone.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:41 pm

-Moved to Wolf Multimedia-
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:44 am

• I enjoyed this program. It gave good insight as to how a biologist goes about fieldwork. The landscape was also quite beautiful; a pleasant mix of old human structures and nature moving in.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:22 am

I have a funny story about this- I ordered the blue ray version and had to call PBS because there was chicken soup on the disc. Yep, even after I removed the packaging and stuff I opened it up and smelled it- it was exactly the Lipton's chicken noodle soup mix on the inside of the case and disc. I ended up getting my money back but I cleaned the disc and have it.

Overall I liked this program, I enjoyed how the flora and fauna took over the abandoned villages-it was easy to forget that the area is still dangerous for people to enter. I've been reading this book about if people left the planet and how nature would return so it was fitting to watch a mini real-world version.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:22 pm

• That's sketch pawnee! Like, how? I guess we'll never know XD.

I agree though; the scenery was good fodder for the imagination!

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:02 pm

The people on the phone said they would do a quality check with their blue-ray and DVDs... but still. I could tell it was exactly Lipton's chicken noodle soup, the one in the red and white box...

Usually PBS has a web feature about their programs with follow-ups and such. I don't remember these things for this documentary though. A shame because it would be neat to see if the wolves they had collared were still kick'in somewhere. You would think a long term study would be needed to see any effects of radiation.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

MistyWolf10101
Pup
Pup

Post by MistyWolf10101 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:02 am

oxoDestinyoxo wrote:

I saw this while browsing another forum, and gave it a watch. It is about how wolves and more importantly, other wildlife, including bison and moose, have made a living in Pripyat, Ukraine and the surrounding areas after the Chernobyl Power Plant Meltdown on 26 April 1986. The zone now looks amazing, and it would be an amazing place to visit, if it weren't for the radiation levels and all.

But yeah, I highly suggest you all give this a watch. It is really awesome. =)
I saw that once. It was really cool.
.*¨*.¸.*¨ ¸.*¨¨*'.˛ ¨*'.˛.*¨*.

ƸӜƷ

м ι s т y

ƸӜƷ

.*¨*.¨*'.˛¨*'.˛ ¸.*¨¸.*¨.*¨*.

Av/Sig: river6/Emberflare