Video of Arctic wolf killing young caribou (GRAPHIC)

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Video of Arctic wolf killing young caribou (GRAPHIC)

Post by La Striata » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:16 am

WARNING: Viewer discretion is advised. Plus, you may want to turn down your speakers, as there's lots of wind.

Video by PZKpfw:

This is probably the first time I've actually seen a full, unedited wolf kill (most documentaries emphasise the chase, then cut the moment the prey is caught.)
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Video of Arctic wolf killing young caribou (GRAPHIC)

Post by paperpaws » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Ahh, I have to say I feel quite bad for the caribou, it seems to have taken quite a while for the wolf to finish it off, looked pretty nasty. Thanks for the share.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Silverness wrote:Ahh, I have to say I feel quite bad for the caribou, it seems to have taken quite a while for the wolf to finish it off, looked pretty nasty. Thanks for the share.
No problem. I must admit, I do derive some satisfaction from how this video is yet further proof that Never Cry Wolf is pure fiction.

Farley Mowat described wolves "broadsiding" running caribou, then finishing them off with a single, clean bite to the back of the neck... Almost sounds like he's describing cougars.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:47 am

That does sound more like a feline hunting/killing technique indeed, especially the 'back of the neck' part. I do wonder if it usually takes as long as it did here though, seeing this was a single wolf rather than a whole pack of them... not sure if I've properly seen a wolf back hunt before though, since as you pointed out documentaries tend to show the chase and the eating rather than the moment of the kill.

silvywolfy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: At the Slendy donation center. WHY YOU PEOPLE STEAL HIS PAPERS. WHY.

Post by silvywolfy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 am

As much as i love wolves, i felt bad for the caribou. I wish it's death had been much more quicker.
- MOVING ACCOUNTS IN A DAY OR TWO -

New account will be: Silvy_Courage

DenimSparkle
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DenimSparkle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:58 am

I think that the white on the caribue made it look worse than it actually was, but it still looked pretty slow. Anyway, it was a cool video. Thanks for posting this^^

Oziku
Pup
Pup

Post by Oziku » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:19 pm

I agree with Silverness. Most documentaries show only the chase but this actually showed the kill, it was very nice but the truckers in the video made it feel kinda un-natural.
»ⅤẴḶḶɆỴ ƓυΛℛÐƖΛƝᎦ«
~A fun, loving pack where you can choose to be the master of an element. Whether it be Fire, Water or earth, you are welcome to join ^.^ ~
Join today :)

raffles
Pup
Pup
Location: Classified Govern Personal only ^^;(ask an shall receive (friends only)

Post by raffles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 am

all im gonna say for now is.... wow.. o.o lesson 1, dont bother a wolf during feeding time
Avatar (c) who ever made it (found in bing images)

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am

My apologies for posting on a dusty topic :p
Very interesting video to watch and rather educational. Wish I could have also seen the chase along with the kill, but this video is still good alone (: Thanks for the share, La Striata!
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝