BBC Article-Video "Epic wolf hunt caught on camera"

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
Sintact

BBC Article-Video "Epic wolf hunt caught on camera"

Post by Sintact » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 am

24 October 2011 Last updated at 09:59

Epic wolf hunt caught on camera
By Ella Davies Reporter, BBC Nature
This clip shows how fortune finally favours the ravenous pack.

The extraordinary endurance hunting of grey wolves has been recorded by BBC film-makers in Alberta, Canada.

Cameramen battled howling winds and sub-zero temperatures to film the dramatic chase as wolves closed in on their American bison prey.

Fortune finally favoured the wolves when a panicked bull knocked over a calf, leaving it defenceless against the hungry predators.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

This was the coldest overall shoot on all of Frozen Planet”

Chadden Hunter, director

The sequence features in the landmark BBC One series Frozen Planet.

Director Chadden Hunter and his team scoured Wood Buffalo National Park, an area the size of Denmark, to find the predators and prey in action.

Taking on a herd of bison, with males weighing in at up to a tonne, is a high-risk strategy for the wolves.

But with temperatures reaching -50 degrees and with winds of up to 100mph, conditions drive extreme behaviour.

"This was the coldest overall shoot on all of Frozen Planet," Hunter told BBC Nature.

In this clip, cameraman Jeff Turner's nerve is tested by a herd of bison.

"The electronics on the cameras would freeze up, the lenses would grow sheets of hoar-frost and batteries would die in seconds.

"We tried heating the cameras but the plastic cables to the battery packs snapped like bread sticks and the plastic covers broke apart like poppadoms.

"We resorted to 'ancient' technology and strapped tin cases containing sticks of burning coal into the insulated blanket covering the camera."
Continue reading the main story
BISON FACTS

American bison are also known as American buffalo
They are the continent's largest living land mammal
Despite their size, they can run at speeds of over 30mph

Watch video of bison on the move

Both bison and wolves are wary of humans so a combination of techniques was used to capture the hunt in full.

Aerial cameraman Michael Kelem, more accustomed to filming Hollywood car chases, had to acclimatise to the weather quickly.

Operating the camera on board the helicopter required fine motor control: impossible in down gloves but excruciating without them.

"The helicopter obviously became our secret weapon for filming the hunt but it was some serious old-fashioned bushcraft that got us the ground shots to complete the sequence," said Mr Hunter.

Native Canadian Jeff Turner was stationed on the ground where he was able to film the climax of a second hunt.

Turner describes watching a lone wolf battle with a bison for over an hour as "powerful".

"The struggles that we'd had with the cold... felt insignificant compared with these animals that were struggling for their very lives," he said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/15385364

You must watch the video, it's amazing!!

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Re: BBC Article-Video "Epic wolf hunt caught on camera"

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm

The intensity of this video was quite insane. The way the one bison plowed over the smaller and younger one was quite horrific. I definitely hadn't seen it coming.
The strength of both creatures shows how much of a battle it would have been for one side to win. It was numbers and teeth against strength and size.
Thanks for sharing this Sintact! It is one of those videos you almost have to watch twice. :)
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:00 am

Oh wow, that was really interesting to watch... At first it didn't look like the wolves had much of a chance, then the odds seemed to be pretty even and then the unlucky bull had the bad luck to be knocked over...

Thanks for the share, Sintact!

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for sharing, Sintact! I'll besure to watch it when I have time.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:40 am

What most impressed me from this video was the quality and angles the photographers and cameraman accomplished. An excellent opportunity to learn more about wolf's strategies for hunting and selecting their hunt wisely.

I’m glad you guys find something good out of this video.

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:56 am

This was a great video. I liked the part when the bull came along and rammed against the other bison.

Dust in the wind
Pup
Pup

Post by Dust in the wind » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Wow! I can't believe on what this bison did! Now I'll see it on my TV!(Frozen planet just arrived here in Brazil and I don't believe on what those people managed to record!It's wonderfull!)Thank you for sharing it Sintact!
Weeeeeeee.(yes, I'm silly)