"Runt" by Marion Dane Bauer

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
Timber05
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

"Runt" by Marion Dane Bauer

Post by Timber05 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:04 pm

This is a rather short book by Marion Dane Bauer that is about a small runt wolf pup trying to survive in the Minnesota wild. It ends rather strange, but it was a cute story.

Cover:
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images ... 948331.JPG
"He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream."

Zarr
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: "Runt" by Marion Dane Bauer

Post by Zarr » Sat May 03, 2008 9:17 pm

I read that book when it first came out. It was a great story, but it should have been longer...

That poor pup who had the run-in with the porcupine! (Was its name Thinker?) It just goes to show you how cruel the wild really is.
.......(\_/)
((.. _/{ "-;
)).{{ ;'`
( ( ;._\\

SummerMoon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SummerMoon » Sat May 03, 2008 9:23 pm

My librarian read that to my 3rd grade class before.Good story :)

Timber05
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Timber05 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Zarr wrote:I read that book when it first came out. It was a great story, but it should have been longer...

That poor pup who had the run-in with the porcupine! (Was its name Thinker?) It just goes to show you how cruel the wild really is.

Yes, it was Thinker who was killed by the porcupine.
"He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream."

fangwolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by fangwolf » Sat May 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Is the book still out i want to read it it sounds good
this color is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

My real true love is Emmett Cullen

"Johnny’s in space, The Rev’s in jail, Synyster’s in Germany, Shadow’s knocks down the walls, and I cure cancer then forget how I did it." -Zacky Vengeance

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat May 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Timber05 wrote:
Zarr wrote:I read that book when it first came out. It was a great story, but it should have been longer...

poor puppy D=

thats sad...
icon by Rottenrobbie

Zarr
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Zarr » Sat May 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Blindseer wrote:
Timber05 wrote:

poor puppy D=

thats sad...
Yeah, a quill from the Porcupine went right into his eye ad hit his brain. He died slowly and painfully. The author described it as Runt hearing his cries of agony getting weaker and weaker. And Thinker got hit in the first place trying to protect Runt from the Porcupine. It's pretty harsh for a kids' book. Especially the part with the poisoned kill...

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat May 03, 2008 10:10 pm

poor wolfies T_T

I dont think Im going to read that book now...
icon by Rottenrobbie

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Mon May 05, 2008 9:28 am

I also read the book. I thought it was good. Those are some of the realities for wolves as harsh as they may sound to humans.

WildKid81
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WildKid81 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am

I read that book a while ago. It was pretty good, though I don't remember it properly.
Zarr wrote:
Blindseer wrote:

poor puppy D=

thats sad...
Yeah, a quill from the Porcupine went right into his eye ad hit his brain. He died slowly and painfully. The author described it as Runt hearing his cries of agony getting weaker and weaker. And Thinker got hit in the first place trying to protect Runt from the Porcupine. It's pretty harsh for a kids' book. Especially the part with the poisoned kill...
The part about Thinker was really sad. :cry:

Meadow
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Meadow » Wed May 07, 2008 1:27 am

:cry: Why, Thinker, why! :cry:

To look into a wolf's eyes is to gaze into your soul...

But why you'd stare at a wolf is beyond anyone's guess.

MartinicaWolfGirl
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by MartinicaWolfGirl » Fri May 09, 2008 7:10 am

I read that when it first came out, it was so cute and sad :( , but its still one of my favorite books :D

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun May 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Its a great book! I loved it, despite how short a read it was. if you love wolves, you`ll love this. Its basically a wolf version of Bambi...minus Disney.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sun May 11, 2008 8:04 pm

pawnee wrote:Its a great book! I loved it, despite how short a read it was. if you love wolves, you`ll love this. Its basically a wolf version of Bambi...minus Disney.
but nothing overly sad happened in bambi if I remember it... and I know I didnt like that movie much.
icon by Rottenrobbie

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon May 12, 2008 2:32 pm

I didn`t mean Bambi the movie. I eamnt Bambi by felix Salten. The book is way better than the movie, no offense. In the book Bambi watches sevral of his forest friends die, e.g a fox being attacked by a pack of dogs while caught in a trap, watching his deer buddy get blown to bits from a hunter, his mother dies, blah blah blah. Its actually a good read if you like nature.

sorry got off topic there. besides, both Runt and Bambi seem to have some father son relationship issue going on throughout the book(s). They do seem similiar, but I guess Runt would be the twenty first century Bambi...instead of a cute little deer, a wolf. Instead of forest fires and hunters, conflicts with landowners and wildlife in an ever shrinking wilderness.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain