Best wolf documentaries/books

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Best wolf documentaries/books

Post by pawnee » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:34 pm

because most of us live in suburbia and not in the wilds of yukon or what not, the only "wild" wolves I see are usually on my TV screen or in a book. What you reccemend as the best wolf documentaries or educational books? These don`t include fictional shows like Wolf`s Rain or The Jungle Book. Below are some of my favourite docs and books.(not in order)
Best Documentaries: National Geographic: Wolves, a legend returns to yellowstone, Wolves at Our Door/Living with Wolves, BBC wolf documentary,

Best wolf books: Wolf Country by John Theberge, Wolves at Our Door by Jim and Jamie Dutcher, Arctic Wild by Lois Crisler, Secret Go the Wolves by R.D Lawrence, Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat.

If you know of other good ones please post them! I`m always looking for some more info the greatest animal in the world!
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Mooney
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mooney » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:56 pm

Well, one of the most fact-filled books on wolves I've read is "Spirit of the Wolf" by Shaun Ellis. Again, lots of facts, and brilliant photos. It's all written by a wolf biologist that has "lived" with wolves.

I know there was an IMAX movie simply called 'Wolves'. I've never seen it, but I have the soundtrack (beautiful)! XD

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:47 am

its in DVD under two publishers (razor and Slingshot) so it makes it harder to track down. I saw it a while ago but most of it I don`t remember. I`ve also seen that book, I love the photography! Monty Sloan, the photographer ,takes amazing wolf pictures. If you go to his website you can see all his peices including some really funny ones.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Harmony
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Harmony » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:30 pm

The best wolf book I've read hands down has to be Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George and its sequel Julie's Wolf Pack.

As for documentaries, I cant name one but National geographic has the best :wink:

''For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack” -Rudyard Kipling

kefa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by kefa » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Harmony wrote:The best wolf book I've read hands down has to be Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George and its sequel Julie's Wolf Pack.

As for documentaries, I cant name one but National geographic has the best :wink:
I agree!

But the more 'educational' ones I've read that I've enjoyed are:

the art of being a Wolf by Anee Menatory

and

Spirit of the Wolf by Shaun Ellis and Monty Sloan

Wolfmean
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolfmean » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:44 am

I have the Wolves at Our Door/Living with Wolves documentarys, also one of bbc, also i have ones in spanish that I recommend:

Las Montañas del Lobo (the mountains of the wolf - les loups des montagnes): a documentary of 2 lone wolves searching for a new territory.

The mexican wolf. : see how the mexican wolves were rescued from the extinction (i have in spanish)

Imax-wolves : documentary of the gray wolf (ii have in spanish but therés a english version)

Les Loups Sauvages Du Yellowstone : documentary of the wolves of yellowstone (i have it in frech)

and some more i have, but i don´t remember they names jeje :?

Black_Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Black_Wolf » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:22 pm

i like to see wolves documentaries i animal planet,discovery channel and national geographic channel
WolfQuest!!!!The best online game EVER. WQ4EVER

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Another interesting book to read is Shadow Mountatin: A Memoir of Wolves, a Woman, and the Wild by Renee Askins. She was involved with the reintroduction program at Yellowstone National Park.

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Whitefang2331 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 pm

This isnt a documentary but there is a growning up wolf show on animal planet

Harmony
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Harmony » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:14 pm

Growing up wolf was a good documentary. I watch the Growing up series quite often.

''For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack” -Rudyard Kipling

kefa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by kefa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:45 pm

Harmony wrote:Growing up wolf was a good documentary. I watch the Growing up series quite often.
Same! I love the Wolf and Red Panda ones. :D

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ChocolateRain » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 pm

Whitefang2331 wrote:This isnt a documentary but there is a growning up wolf show on animal planet
Time Warner Cable took away my animal planet. :(

kefa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by kefa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:56 pm

ChocolateRain wrote:
Whitefang2331 wrote:This isnt a documentary but there is a growning up wolf show on animal planet
:shock:

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ChocolateRain » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:58 pm

kefa wrote:
ChocolateRain wrote:
Yea it stinks.

kefa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by kefa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:06 am

ChocolateRain wrote:
kefa wrote:
ChocolateRain wrote:
Yea it stinks.
*weep* What is the world coming to!! First macros take over Runescpe and now Animal Planet isn't being showed on certain cable companies!! :cry: