The last Irish wolf.

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
April

The last Irish wolf.

Post by April » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 pm

There is a book called the last Irish wolf. I havn't read it, but it looks intresting. Here is some information on the history of Irish wolves;

By 1786, wolves were exterminated in Ireland. Secreted in Irish woodlands, they had survived for 40 years longer than in Britain. But wolf bounties, introduced by Oliver Cromwell, prompted the arrival in Ireland of profit-seeking hunters from Britain and Europe. Coupled with deforestation and habitat destruction this hunting precipitated their demise. Once plentiful, Irish wolves receive a mention in Shakespeare's 'As You Like It' and are depicted in the 800AD Book of Kells. Irish wolfhounds and deerhounds are descendents of wolf-dog crosses.

Wolves are now a protected species in most European countries, even where they are absent in the wild, as is the case in Ireland. This means that if someone can sneak them into the country and establish a population, it would be illegal for anyone to kill them.

Website; http://onlyoneireland.blogspot.com/2006 ... olves.html
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

XxXTsukiXxX
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Stuck in the middle ages, sitting on a dragon, and fighting Ed for world domination.

Re: The last Irish wolf.

Post by XxXTsukiXxX » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks for bringing this up April! I'm hoping that someone will bring wolves into Ireland, as I'd love to see then come into my own country..

We're learning about Oliver Cromwell in History class... I hate him... And I know hate is a strong word... -_-
Proud alpha female of the Autumn Creek...

"The best way to stop failing, is to fail at failing"

Future noodles! The noodles of the future!