intresting wolf photos

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
Nightwolf293
Yearling
Yearling

Re: intresting wolf photos

Post by Nightwolf293 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Interesting....but was it even possible for people to domesticate wolves for sled dogs? I wonder... :o
~* B ɼ σ σ k є *~

---------- Ranger of the Fdshfbvsk Band
---------- ~ Crazy wifey to -Larka-,my Lazy Husbande
---------- ζ Crazy mother to Memories, my Daughter O' Doom ζ

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:05 am

Wolves as sled-dogs. Well. That's something I've never heard of before. Though, I read a National Geographic magazine a while back, and there was a picture of sled-dogs in Norway or Denmark, I think, and the photographer who took the picture of the dogs said they were very aggressive and ferocious, and the guy who trained the dogs allowed the photographer only to tap the head of one of the dogs. So even domestic sled-dogs might be aggressive. But I'm just over-whelmed that these guys managed to tame the wolf to the degree it could be used as a servant for humans.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Maned_Wolf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:11 am

Black red wolves and sled wolves. Two things I had no idea existed until now,very interesting.
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:32 am

Black Red Wolves don't exist in the current Red Wolf population ... but I am still highly surprised they were actual wolves. I cannot put together the image in my head of wild wolves being domesticated enough to become sled-dogs. Unbelieveable.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 pm

I don't domestication is the right word....its more likely that the wolf's social instict to stay with its pack was put to use. Being in a sled formation probably made it feel natural to the wolf to walk with other wolves (dogs)....though still as many as said...I can only imagine what conditioning would have been like.

The black red wolf picture is cool. If the genetics existed in the wild population to that degree...then maybe the same patterns will produce another? of course this would take a loooooonnnngggg time for evolution....
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:24 am

"Domesticated", then, with punctuation marks. But sure, to wolves the pack is the closest and most important thing in the world and maybe it's the reason they were able to use them as sled-dogs, under certain conditions, of course.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:07 am

The sled wolves isn't really smart, got interested. What if the wolves would attack each other or had to run in "enemy" territory?

Pocketdog
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Pocketdog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 am

sSilvers wrote:The sled wolves isn't really smart, got interested. What if the wolves would attack each other or had to run in "enemy" territory?
Yes, exactly. Who thought using wolves as sled dogs was a god idea? There are so many ways that could end badly for everyone.
Avvie by Il Kom . Thanks! =)

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 am

Judging from the picture, their little "wolves-as-sled-dogs" experiment turned out quite successful. Apparently, the people who commited this task were not stupid. Perhaps they realised it was an important key to allow the wolves to remain in their natural state: as a pack, as a family, as a social unit. Wolves function within the pack, the pack is the pillar of the strenght for the wolves, their whole behavior and lifestyle is built around the pack hierarchy and mutual socialization habits. I'm still rather skeptical, but at least on this matter, "taming" or "domesticating" wolves does not seem entirely impossible...