FIX: WolfQuest missing from volume mixer, can't record audio

This section is for User Guides relating to the WQ Game. Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Forum rules
Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

FIX: WolfQuest missing from volume mixer, can't record audio

Post by Frodo1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:27 am

I first noticed I was having problems with WQ's audio when I was grabbing beta footage a while ago, but I just got the chance to investigate further and found out that I was unable to record any sound from the game at all. In fact, WolfQuest didn't even show up in the Windows volume mixer.
After some poking and prodding around, I did, however, find a solution, and I thought I should share it with you guys in case anyone else is having this issue :)

The problem is actually quite simple, and stems from Asus Xonar sound cards. The one I have is fairly high-end, which means that it comes with some settings that can mess with stuff sometimes. If WolfQuest does not appear in the volume mixer and no audio is picked up from the game while recording, locate the Xonar DGX audio center and turn off the little button in the lower right corner that says GX. This is, apparently, an audio enhancement thing for games, but it interferes with recording and causes the game not to appear in the volume mixer. Turning this off fixed the problem for me and I can now record the game sound and adjust it from the volume mixer :)

If anyone else is having this issue, I hope it helps!

(and I hope this is in the right section-- not sure if it should go here or in guides haha XD)
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me