The Ultimate Guide to the Final Mission

This section is for User Guides relating to the WQ Game. Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Forum rules
Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Desoto343
Pup
Pup

The Ultimate Guide to the Final Mission

Post by Desoto343 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:26 pm

THE ULTIMATE FINAL MISSION GUIDE

Hello there! You have probably clicked on this topic because you are having difficulties with the final mission. Worry not! You are one of many people who struggle to keep more than one pup alive during the Journey to the Summer Den. I find that the task is very easy, provided you know the best way to do it. I was surprised at first that no one had made an in-depth guide to this before, so, HERE WE GO!!!

When you first arrive in Slough Creek, choose the den best suited to your difficulty level. The Bison Peak cutoff is the easiest because it is closest to the new den. Saddle Meadows is intermediate and Aspen Heights is the Hardest as it is furthest away (about 2 in-game kilometres)

When you have chosen your den, play normally until you arrive at the "Feed your pups" mission. This is where you need to plan your route and make sure there are enough carcasses along the way. Keep an eye on when your pups are approaching 15lbs and start planning the route then.
Don't worry if there aren't many carcasses as more tend to appear when you start the journey.

For Bison Peak, the purple spot indicating the stranger wolf territory will expand so that it is between you and the summer den. YOU CANNOT GO THROUGH HERE. If you try, a wolf will come running out and chase you to the sandbar crossing, and any pups you were not carrying will be left behind.
So, travel around the stranger wolf territory, cross the river at the sandbar crossing, and continue on to the den site.

For Saddle Meadows, travel down the hill, into the hunting grounds, travel along the river, cross at the sandbar and continue on to the densite.

For Aspen Heights, travel down the hill, and across the plains, cross the river and continue on to the densite.

HINTS AND TIPS
1) RELAX! Lots of people (including me) get very nervous the first time they play this mission. You expect that your pups could be snatched away at any second, but you need to loosen up. You will always be warned with the predator cam if there is a threat to your pups. It is best to press O, and zoom all the way out with - so that you can see more of the surrounding landscape. You are much more likely to keep more pups alive if you learn to relax.

2) Tactics.
Lots of people don't have an efficient system of getting their pups across Slough Creek without them dying. Lots of times I have gone onto posts with people asking for help and it says the following:
" I took one of my pups to the densite and went back for another but my mate moved it and they all got snatched by an eagle =("

Well OF COURSE THEY GOT SNATCHED BY AN EAGLE! If you seperate yourself from your pups for prolonged periods of time then you won't be able to protect them!

My tactic (this tactic has always got me a 100% record) is the following:
1) Pick up a pup
2) Run with it for a little while.
3) Put it down
4)Run back for another
Your mate will keep on moving your pups back and forth, but depending on how "smart" they are they will also help you. It will be alright, just go with the flow.

3) PREDATORS
Predators are you biggest threat on the final journey, and they can reall put a player on edge. You will always be warned of a predator's arrival either through predator cam or by a change in music. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR SPEAKERS ON AND YOUR VOLUME TURNED UP. If you can't have the speakers on as it would distract others in the room, use headphones.
The predator cam will zoom in on the pup at risk, and then on the predator. This can be quite disorientating, but try to keep your bearings and HAVE NAMETAGS ON AT ALL TIMES BY PRESSING N. This way, you will know which pup is being targeted.
Sometimes (but not too often) instead of predator cam, the music will just change (the music is quite dramatic sounding, but it is an obvious change) This is usually if you run into the predator or if it is clearly visible on screen.

Coyotes: Coyotes are extremely fast and agile, and can snatch a pup up in a matter if seconds. you must deal with them immedeately by biting them until their health hits zero. Be careful not to chase them through water though, as when you have killed it your mate could start trying to bring pups across the river, causing them to drown. If it goes into the water, back up a little and wait for it to come back, then go in for the kill!

Bears: Despite their size, bears are also extremely fast. CHASING THEM IS NOT ENOUGH TO GET RID OF THEM! Once you have chased it far away enough and have gone back to your pups chances are that it will have got there before youy and killed one! When you approach them, bears will run away, but you must bite them three times to make them go away completely. Each time you bite the bear it will swipe back at you, so once you have dealt with them your health should be pretty low. Usually for every bear, a carcass spawns near by for you to refill your health with. NEVER ATTACK A BEAR AT LESS THAN 50% health because you will die and when you respawn the bear will still be there, giving you less time to get to your pups and protect them!

Eagles: The eagle is omnipresent throughout the journey and will not go away until you have completed the game. When the eagle arrives, the predator cam will zoom in on the pup it is after and then in on the eagle. However, the camera zooms in on the pup in a split second, so it is hard to tell who is being targted. If you don't know which pup is in danger, you should do your best to keep them all on your screen.
The eagle will start to circle above your family, and it will circle lower and lower. When it is low enough start to run after it, but always be a few paces behind. If you should run underneath it, the eagle will land on you and fly back up to begin circling again, and not go away. Wait for the eagle to start hopping along the ground before running up to it. Touch the eagle and it will fly away in a straight line (you will know you have dealt with it then)
Sometimes a cutscene will not play to indicate the eagle's presence (this has happened to me a lot) but if you listen ou will be able to hear the eagle screeching, so you know it is in the area.

4) FEEDING PUPS
Depending on your mate's smartness, he/she will run off to the nearest hunting grounds to hunt for food. At this time, you should keep moving. I suggest that you keep your "food for pups meter as a reserve, for emergencies such as a pup falling into the river etc.

5) PUP DEATHS
The first time you play the final journey, the likelyhood that you will lose some/all your pups is quite high (it happened to me) Should a pup die, you can either move on, or reload to before the pup died. Save often, so that you aren't set back too far when you reload.

6) CHEATS
There are several glitches that you can put to good use when you are having trouble during the mission or to just make it easier/faster.

A. PAUSING TO "DISTRACT" THE EAGLE
All too often, I find myself attacked by a predator and the eagle at the same time. To buy yourself some time, pause the game, and for some strange reason, the eagle will fly away in a straight line. The longer you leave the game paused, the longer it will take for the eagle to fly back and the more time you will have to deal with the predator (I find this useful, as the other day I was fighting a bear, and my health became extremely low. I was trying to hobble back to my pups as the eagle was circling overhead, getting lower and lower. I paused, the eagle flew away, and I had more time to save them.
Note: The eagle will not fly and higher, so when it returns it will be flying at the same height as it was previously.

B. SPINNING PUP GLITCH
A useful glitch that my game has developed is that if a pup is being targeted by a predator, it will constantly be walking in a tight circle. If you can't see which pup it is during the predator cam, this is useful. For the eagle attack, pick up the pup in danger, and when the eagle approaches you, walk backwards until you bump into it. DO NOT WALK FORWARDS as the eagle CAN AND WILL grab a pup out of your mouth.
For coyotes and bears, they will not go for any other pup until they have got the one that they have targeted, so protect that one.

C. TELEPORTATION AT BISON PEAK
If you have chosen the bison peak den, when the mission starts, run towards the enemy pack territory and don't stop until you get there. A wolf should run out at you and tell you to go away. Hey, PRESTO! You have been teleported straight to the sand bar crossing.
Note: This will only work for bison peak as the other dens are too far away and it does not work in the other enemy pack territory.
Also Note: Do not carry any pups with you into the enemy territory as if you do, only this pup will be taken to the sand bar, and the others will be defenceless.

D. TRAVELLING THROUGH ENEMY TERRITORY
If you want to save yourself time and travel through enemy territory, go in, and when the wolf is about to bump into you, press X to jump into the air. The pop up "You shouldn't be sniffin' around these parts" will pop up, and you will not have moved, giving you more direct access to the summer den.
Note: You cannot save and quit whilst in enemy territory, as when you reload the wolf will run at you when the opening pop up comes up, and you will automatically be transported back to the sand bar.
Note: This glitch is quite risky, as sometimes your mate and pups will be transported back to the sandbar while you are still inside the territory. To prevent too much distance between you and your pups, travel to the sandbar and then enter enemy territory, incase you should get seperated. Alternatively, run back towards your family, but DON'T leave the territory, and let your mate carry the pups back to you.

These glitches were all correct at the time of writing. Please note that in future versions of Wolf Quest they might have been corrected.

So, that's my guide! I hope it works out for you (it has for me!) If you have any questions/comments send me a private message, and I will do my best to answer them.
I've passed my 1st WQ anniversary! Thanks to all for a great year!

If it has a face, I don't eat it

PROUD SUPPORTER OF PETA, DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY AND AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL