Tips on How To Aviod Looking Like a N00b on the Forums

This section is for User Guides relating to the WQ Forum. Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Forum rules
Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Nordue

Tips on How To Aviod Looking Like a N00b on the Forums

Post by Nordue » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:30 pm

• So, you’re new to the WolfQuest Community forum, or you're looking to change how you interact. That’s wonderful! Here are a couple of tips to help you establish yourself on WQ in a successful way!

First, here’s what a n00b is, in case you weren't aware of it:
Newbie, newb, n00b or noob is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming or Linux use.
  • Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie.

See, there’s nothing wrong with being a n00b in this context. It just means you’re new! In fact, no one will ever call you that here in a negative manner. So let’s get down to business on how you can get started on the forums!
Create a topic for yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. People will seek it out if they see you posting more around the forum. They want to get to know you better! Just don’t give out any really personal info, like your address or phone number. This is a good way to meet people with common interests to you.

● Since WolfQuest does not have a spell check like Word does, it is up to you to try and have good spelling and grammar in posts. If you have to, look up how to spell a word on Google, or type up your post in a word processing program (like Microsoft Word or Notepad) to check for spelling mistakes. Some web browsers like Google Chrome have a spell checking feature![/color]

Try to read the entire first post of any topic you plan to post on, and the most current page(s) of a topic to avoid asking common questions and to be aware of the general flow of the discussion.

The rules of this forum are very important. Know them! Be able to remember them! If you have a question, visit the WQ FAQ first!

Become familiar with the f3 key or whatever your computer’s webpage search function key is. It allows you to search a page for certain words or phrases. This is great for topics with massive lists that are too long to read.

Actions speak louder than words, even on a forum. Remember that! Be involved positively!

Use the ‘preview’ function when posting to view what your post will look like before you post. Nothing says ‘newbie’ or ‘I don't care’ like broken code in a post! For example, [/color] would be a case of broken code. It looks messy and out of place, doesn’t it? If you forget to preview, you can always edit your post after submitting it. Post editing is encouraged!

Try to develop an ‘image’ on the forums. This requires some consistency. You can do this through a personal posting color, your avatar, your signature and your profile. Be original and creative! If you are recognisable, people will be more curious about you, and see you as an individual with personality.

● Remember: post count does not indicate maturity level. Whether you have 1 post or 10000 posts does not mean you are above or below anyone else. Post count does indicate forum activity level, however. Treat every user with equal respect. If you do, your low post count will become unimportant. Every journey begins with a single step!

Learn from your mistakes! Before you post, think: would a moderator be OK with this? Will I hurt someone's feelings? It’s okay if you slip up every now and then—everyone does. Thank the person who corrected you, and move on. Or at least try to compromise if you still don’t agree :). Or do like Queen Elsa from Frozen and let it go!

● Over time, you’ll be able to identify problem threads and posts on your own. That is when the report icon on the top of every post comes in handy. It’s a triangle with an exclamation point in it. Don’t try to correct someone on your own just yet; the line between being helpful and acting like a moderator is a thin one. Play it safe and let the real mods do the correcting work!

● Perhaps you don't agree with something you found on the forums. That’s okay—everyone is entitled to say their opinion in a respectful, polite manner. Flat out telling someone they are wrong or stupid will only have the moderators on your case.

● Also, as you become more regular on the forums, you will come to realize that not everyone is going to like you on the forums, and vice versa! Again, it’s a natural thing. We all have different personalities and opinions, and often they clash. It’s best to avoid those users whom you don’t get along with quietly and without fuss. If interaction is unavoidable, simply focus on being polite and fair to them, even if they are not back to you. Easier said than done, eh? Being the bigger person is not easy, but it is personally rewarding.

Before posting a topic somewhere, make sure it is not the same as anyone else’s and that is hasn’t already been made. If you have read the WQ forum rules, you would know that duplicate topics are not allowed! The search box in the top right-hand corner of the forum comes in handy here, although sometimes it doesn't work well. Don't sweat it if you end up creating a topic for something that already exists--it happens!

Avoid sounding like a know-it-all by providing sources to all facts you post. Facts cannot usually be disputed, but opinions always can. You can provide facts by adding a webpage link in your post, a quote from a book or some other source of information. Like I did for the n00b quote on this topic!

Learn how to roleplay in Pack Central. This isn’t required to have a good time on WQ, but it is a good way to improve your writing skills and typing speed. Not to mention meet lots of users in Pack Central! User Writings, User Artwork and the General Discussion topic are other great ways to get involved around the forums.

● Have fun learning about wolves and WolfQuest! If you are not having fun, then maybe this isn’t the forum for you. And that’s OK; you can always remove your account or sign off for good if things are not working for you here. You will be missed, but it is understandable.
  • There’s probably a lot more, but that’s all I could think of for now. In case you were wondering why I made this guide, I have been on this forum since 2010, under different usernames. I have learned a thing or two in my time online about being a longstanding member of a forum. I hope you can find my advice to be helpful in giving you a jump-start on the forums, or a second chance!

Sincerely,
    • Nordue