Videos show Yellowstone wolves bringing ‘toys’ to dens for their pups

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Videos show Yellowstone wolves bringing ‘toys’ to dens for their pups

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:48 pm

I think this is not only an interesting read, but an adorable one!
https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2023/0 ... heir-pups/
Wolves in Yellowstone National Park were caught on camera bringing “toys” for their pups back to their dens, according to the National Park Service.

In a video shared on Instagram, adult wolves from Yellowstone wolf packs can be seen walking back to their dens carrying various objects in their mouths from bones to antlers and branches.

The park service said the wolves’ offspring typically wait for their parents to bring food from their hunts back to them. Whenever food isn’t brought back, the wolves instead bring back other items. Park officials said this instinct to bring items back to the den may be reinforced by evolution and may keep the adult wolves from being bitten by the sharp teeth of their pups.

The Yellowstone wolf packs typically have a single litter of four to five pups a year, according to the park service.

When late October rolls around, the pups are about two-thirds of their adult size and will start traveling with the pack. The ones who survive the winter have by then learned to help the pack hunt prey including elk and bison. They’ll also help raise the next year’s litter of pups and will deliver food and sometimes the same “toys”.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Re: Videos show Yellowstone wolves bringing ‘toys’ to dens for their pups

Post by Windstrider » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:15 pm

I know this is a late reply, but this is a really cool article! We're learning a bit about animal parenting in my biology classes, and I find it fascinating to learn about these types of behaviors for lots of different animals. It's really neat!
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes