Wolf Packs

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Wolf Packs

Post by Rustic » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:55 am

Many people still believe wolf packs operate in a hierarchy system. I tried to explain that a wolf pack is a family unit and the breeding pair is 'in charge' so to speak in the same way as a the parents in a human family. But the other in another forum kept arguing with me stating multiple packs in Yellowstone run by dominant female that is an offspring of original pair. To which I tried to explain when one or both parent wolves die that yes this can happen. They also didn't believe that wolves are generally monogamous, generally taking another mate only if the other dies.

Ok, so the point if this post lol. Does anyone know if any really good, scientific articles I can link people to? I DID do some quick google searches but the articles I found while good, weren't really of the type am looking for.

DaniBeez

Re: Wolf Packs

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:21 pm

You might be better off linking to a book Rustic. Books can summarize the findings of many research papers in a succinct way. One that is often referenced here is Wolves: Behaviour, Ecology, and Conservation.

Tell them to jump right to Chapter 1 - Wolf Social Ecology, which is freely accessible in this preview. From there they can take or leave the factual information in it.

But above all: if someone is utterly convinced of something, it can be impossible to sway them. I wouldn't stress too much about convincing every person you encounter with a contrary opinion. If you link this book and they still disagree (or better, clarify what they mean), then I wouldn't sweat it.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Wolf Packs

Post by Rustic » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:21 pm

Thanks. The worst part is they kept saying I was wrong and then started on the name calling 😞😞