"Wolf behavior undeterred by tailings ponds and pit mines"

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

"Wolf behavior undeterred by tailings ponds and pit mines"

Post by Isela » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Excerpt from ScienceDaily.com
Wolves do not avoid areas of human disturbance when hunting moose in Alberta’s oil sands region.

New UAlberta research shows that predation rates of moose have increased near areas of high human disturbance, but low human activity, such as tailings ponds and pit mines.

“Wolves are not avoiding these features,” explained UAlberta PhD candidate Eric Neilson, who compared the population density of moose to the distribution of wolf-related moose deaths in the region. “In fact, they are using space near mines as they usually would, demonstrating that these spaces are not a deterrent.”
Full article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 103440.htm

Though it may not be quite surprising, seeing as the behavior is happening in areas without humans, it's still pretty interesting to see the wolves acting as they usually would around areas that have been heavily affected by humans. Another, more famous example would be Chernobyl. After the meltdown, the radioactive zone has pretty much become a wildlife sanctuary. The effects of humans still remain, but the wildlife figure out ways to work around that in the absence of humans. It's pretty fascinating.
And the tempest is raging,

it's caving-in the sky

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Re: "Wolf behavior undeterred by tailings ponds and pit mine

Post by Windstrider » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 am

This is neat. Also, I'd seen some documentaries about Chernobyl and its wildlife on tv and I was like dang, bet nobody expected them to live on let alone thrive lol. It's crazy how quickly nature takes back over abandoned human areas.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: "Wolf behavior undeterred by tailings ponds and pit mine

Post by Isela » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Have you seen the documentary "Radioactive Wolves"? It's a great resource of information regarding the wildlife in the radioactive zone in Chernobyl.

But yes, nature always finds a way to bounce back from human impacts :]

it's caving-in the sky

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite