Alpha Female of Canyon Pack in Yellowstone Killed

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Alpha Female of Canyon Pack in Yellowstone Killed

Post by Isela » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Sad news in Yellowstone today. The White Lady, alpha female of the Canyon pack in Yellowstone, was found severely injured and dying, and was thus euthanized. Investigation is underway to the cause of her injuries.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/17014.htm

She lived miraculously to the age of 12 years old, along with her mate 712M, and both were the alphas of the Canyon pack in Yellowstone. Her mate is still alive and remains in charge of the pack.
She is one wolf I wish I could've observed and seen while I was working in Yellowstone the past two summers. She was a beautiful white wolf who led her pack with grace and confidence. She will be sorely missed.
And the tempest is raging,

it's caving-in the sky

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Alpha Female of Canyon Pack in Yellowstone Killed

Post by roguemoon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Wow, 12? Incredible she lived that long in the wild. It's a tragedy to have lost such an incredible old wolf, but I'm glad the park staff ended her life quickly and humanely instead of letting her suffer.

I hope they find out the cause of her injuries soon :/

(found a photo of the breeding female for those who wanted to see how pretty she was: http://www.paulzaretsky.com/wp-content/ ... one_NP.jpg )
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes, it's incredible that both she and her mate have reached the ripe old age of 12 years! I was in shock and just staring at my phone when I first read the news. I agree, I'm glad they didn't just leave her to suffer. It is the wild, and for the most part the park service lets nature play out, like it should, but it would have been even more tragic for her if she were just left there.
Edit: She was found along a hiking trail, posing a danger to her and any people hiking the trail. NPS was allowed to euthanize her for this reason.

Crossing my fingers in the hopes her injuries weren't inflicted by humans. She liked to use the road as a means of getting around quicker, and the fact that the park service is asking for tips and clues on the incident just furthers the suspicion. If there were evident claw/bite marks they wouldn't need to do so. Same here though; anxiously waiting for any updates :c

She has always been a gorgeous wolf <3

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Probably not a good idea to leave a distressed wolf around where a human encounter is possible, so I'm glad she was euthanized. Can you share the article where you found the update in case it's updated again? Thanks, Isela!

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Koa wrote:Probably not a good idea to leave a distressed wolf around where a human encounter is possible, so I'm glad she was euthanized. Can you share the article where you found the update in case it's updated again? Thanks, Isela!
I follow Yellowstone National Park's Facebook page, which is where I saw the update about her being found along the hiking trail. Here's their Facebook page. Otherwise, I'm sure NPS will update their article I shared in my original post, or make a new one altogether. If they do make a new one I can post it here (if someone else sees it first feel free to post it here instead) :]

No problem! <:

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Update:
According to park officials, the wolf was shot by a hunter just outside of the park’s boundaries in Montana - the park stretches across Wyoming and Idaho as well. Daniel Stahler, project director for Yellowstone’s wolf program, told The New York Times that her pack rarely ventures outside of the park.

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... unter.html

Honestly pretty devastated to hear her injuries were caused by hunters. It's awful she suffered so long before being euthanized, but at least she isn't being reduced to a trophy.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks for the additional info, Isela and roguemoon. It's a shame to hear she was snagged just outside of park boundaries but there's not much you can do. I am glad the park did their best to put a swift end to her suffering, and it is remarkable she lived such a long life.

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm

That article is actually about '06, also known as She-Wolf or tracking number 832F. She was shot outside the park in 2012 (the date the article was published is also underneath the title). Updates pertaining to The White Lady have not been released yet.

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Isela wrote:That article is actually about '06, also known as She-Wolf or tracking number 832F. She was shot outside the park in 2012 (the date the article was published is also underneath the title). Updates pertaining to The White Lady have not been released yet.

Oh! My bad then. Someone has posted your original article on tumblr and the update underneath and I just assumed they were the same case. Thanks for catching that Isela.

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:20 am

roguemoon wrote:
Isela wrote:That article is actually about '06, also known as She-Wolf or tracking number 832F. She was shot outside the park in 2012 (the date the article was published is also underneath the title). Updates pertaining to The White Lady have not been released yet.

Oh! My bad then. Someone has posted your original article on tumblr and the update underneath and I just assumed they were the same case. Thanks for catching that Isela.
Haha no problem! Just an honest mistake ;]

UPDATE
It's been confirmed that the White Lady was shot by a poacher along the northern border of the park, near Gardiner, MT.
More information.
I was afraid this was the cause, and very saddened that it's true. Wolf advocates are currently working to donate to the NPS for the investigation of the poacher. Right now the NPS has a $5,000 reward set up, and I believe they'll start taking donations within a couple weeks.

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Oh, that's so unfortunate! I am thankful she was euthanized rather than being left to suffer.
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:31 pm

PearlyReborn wrote:Oh, that's so unfortunate! I am thankful she was euthanized rather than being left to suffer.
She was found alongside a trail, which posed a threat for her as well as hikers, which is why she had to be euthanized. But yes, I agree it's the better alternative than her suffering :c

Update: There is now a $35,000 reward made from donations for information on the person responsible. Still no further news on the case.

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Isela wrote:
PearlyReborn wrote:Oh, that's so unfortunate! I am thankful she was euthanized rather than being left to suffer.
She was found alongside a trail, which posed a threat for her as well as hikers, which is why she had to be euthanized. But yes, I agree it's the better alternative than her suffering :c

Update: There is now a $35,000 reward made from donations for information on the person responsible. Still no further news on the case.
Hefty reward. Thanks for the update, Isela. I hope the person responsible comes forward on their own, but at this point I doubt they will.

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:31 am

Koa wrote:
Isela wrote:

Hefty reward. Thanks for the update, Isela. I hope the person responsible comes forward on their own, but at this point I doubt they will.
No problem! It is a pretty big reward. I'm hopeful as well, but I agree. More often than not the people who do this keep their heads low. They know what they did, especially with how big the story has gotten and how big of a reward the person has hanging over their head. At this point I'm more hopeful that someone will end up finding out more information on who the poacher is.

it's caving-in the sky

Avie © howl-ite

wolfluvr101
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Rexx

Post by wolfluvr101 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:44 pm

I was upset when I had first seen the article posted on the Yellowstone Facebook page. I had to just sit and think for a few minutes before I could do anything else. I missed the update about someone shooting her though, so terrible. At least one other person probably knows who shot her. Hopefully they will come forward, but that is very unlikely.
MP username: novasaurus
MP wolf name: Ylva