Wolves thriving in Europe, wreaking havoc in France

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolves thriving in Europe, wreaking havoc in France

Post by Koa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:24 pm

The wolf population in Europe is exploding, with the super predators now "at the gates of Paris", it has been claimed.

There are now an estimated 12,000 wolves in Europe, leading to calls for the animal to lose its "strictly protected" status.
Read the full article here: http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/12/26/wolf ... tes-paris/

Wolves definitely can do some damage. 300 wolves killing 9,000 sheep in France? It's only been getting worse.

Here's an older article from the BBC that goes more in-depth with France's wolf problem:

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Re: Wolves thriving in Europe, wreaking havoc in France

Post by Writers Block » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks for sharing, Koa! I think it's good to keep in mind that just because a wolf USED to live somewhere, doesn't mean it should now. I would hate to think what would happen if wolves were reintroduced in my home of Boston -- there's much too many people and roads and not enough habitat for them to live in!

As a quick comparison: Europe has 12,000 wolves to continental America's ~5,600 (source), even though both masses are roughly the same size. That's more than twice as many wolves in an area that has about twice as many people!
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Wolves thriving in Europe, wreaking havoc in France

Post by Koa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Mikazuki-Lynx wrote:Thanks for sharing, Koa! I think it's good to keep in mind that just because a wolf USED to live somewhere, doesn't mean it should now. I would hate to think what would happen if wolves were reintroduced in my home of Boston -- there's much too many people and roads and not enough habitat for them to live in!

As a quick comparison: Europe has 12,000 wolves to continental America's ~5,600 (source), even though both masses are roughly the same size. That's more than twice as many wolves in an area that has about twice as many people!
That's quite a comparison! I'd certainly say that any motions to strip wolves of their protection is justified in Europe.