Volunteer opportunity: Wisconsin's wolf monitoring program

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Volunteer opportunity: Wisconsin's wolf monitoring program

Post by Koa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Even if you don't live in Wisconsin, if any of you are interested in any kind of ecology or wildlife-related career, I would expect you would eventually participate in something like this. It might be a useful read for some of you who are about to be college-board or considering some kind of career with wildlife.
Volunteers needed for wolf program
October 2nd, 2016
MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL

The Department of Natural Resources is seeking volunteers to help with the Wisconsin wolf monitoring program.

The state relies on volunteers to help track wolves and other animals each winter. The DNR encourages people interested in assisting with Wisconsin wildlife management to sign up for one of a number of clinics offered statewide.
Read more: http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/ou ... /91171354/

wolfluvr101
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Rexx

Re: Volunteer opportunity: Wisconsin's wolf monitoring progr

Post by wolfluvr101 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:29 am

This is something I would definitely be interested in in the future. Thanks Koa for sharing this!
MP username: novasaurus
MP wolf name: Ylva

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Unfortunately I don't have my passport, but if I did, I would certainly travel down to the states to do this. There are not a lot of wolf monitoring opportunities like that in Canada. :/
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:13 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Unfortunately I don't have my passport, but if I did, I would certainly travel down to the states to do this. There are not a lot of wolf monitoring opportunities like that in Canada. :/
Do you know why that is? I'm not very familiar with Canadian laws and where the brunt of wildlife management falls, so I thought I would ask!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Koa wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Unfortunately I don't have my passport, but if I did, I would certainly travel down to the states to do this. There are not a lot of wolf monitoring opportunities like that in Canada. :/
Do you know why that is? I'm not very familiar with Canadian laws and where the brunt of wildlife management falls, so I thought I would ask!
I wish I knew, haha. Maybe it is because our wolf population isn't really in any danger? I think we have one of the healthiest wolf populations in the world or something.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:51 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Koa wrote:
I wish I knew, haha. Maybe it is because our wolf population isn't really in any danger? I think we have one of the healthiest wolf populations in the world or something.
That's interesting. There's probably so many wolves in Canada that it's hard to "monitor" them to the degree that little states like Wisconsin, by comparison, can utilize monitoring methods.