The General Giggle Thread for Wolves

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

DaniBeez

Re: The General Giggle Thread for Wolves

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 pm

When you're modeled after a grown white wolf...

...and you know full well you shouldn't have ice blue eyes 😂

DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:45 pm

"They thrive at teamwork, fight for their homes, and cherish their families above all else.”
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... popup=true

Shared this on Discord, but the above Getty Images cutline (and the rest of it) for a series of WCC wolf photos is absolutely awful and editorializing. It sanitizes wolf behavior. What’s more is that they use the same cutline for a photo of WCC Mexican gray wolves, which didn’t fit the news.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:12 pm

Koa wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:45 pm
"They thrive at teamwork, fight for their homes, and cherish their families above all else.”
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... popup=true

Shared this on Discord, but the above Getty Images cutline (and the rest of it) for a series of WCC wolf photos is absolutely awful and editorializing. It sanitizes wolf behavior. What’s more is that they use the same cutline for a photo of WCC Mexican gray wolves, which didn’t fit the news.
Basically anthropomorphizing wolves for use in politics?

Oh yeah, and one thing that really grinds my gears— and I mean really, is when I see these Reddit posts of Redditors saying "I bought a wolfdog that is 98% wolf!". Makes me happy when someone with common sense points out that they clearly were scammed. :twisted:
Hopefully that'll teach them.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

AStrangerOnline
Pup
Pup
Name: Mochi

Post by AStrangerOnline » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:57 am

I don't know how you send links to things (Any help would be appreciated) but I remember searching 'Pack Hierarchy' for a Word Document that I was doing about them for fun.
I'm sad to say that probably 70-80% of things I clicked on said about wolf ranks, Omegas, Alphas, Betas, Subordinates, etc and how bad omegas get treated and they're apparently what higher ranking wolves use to 'vent their frustrations', or something along those lines. I can remember several articles about 'educational facts' such as that, so I'll do my best to figure out how to paste links onto here and I'll share one or two if they haven't been shared already.

Edit- I learnt how to send links

https://wolph.weebly.com/wolf-hierarchy.html

'Omega wolves are always pushed into submission and are a target for any abuse within the pack'

I'm pretty sure that wolves do not have an omega. Aren't they simply the main breeding pair and mostly their offspring?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:19 pm

AStrangerOnline wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:57 am
I don't know how you send links to things (Any help would be appreciated) but I remember searching 'Pack Hierarchy' for a Word Document that I was doing about them for fun.
I'm sad to say that probably 70-80% of things I clicked on said about wolf ranks, Omegas, Alphas, Betas, Subordinates, etc and how bad omegas get treated and they're apparently what higher ranking wolves use to 'vent their frustrations', or something along those lines. I can remember several articles about 'educational facts' such as that, so I'll do my best to figure out how to paste links onto here and I'll share one or two if they haven't been shared already.

Edit- I learnt how to send links

https://wolph.weebly.com/wolf-hierarchy.html

'Omega wolves are always pushed into submission and are a target for any abuse within the pack'

I'm pretty sure that wolves do not have an omega. Aren't they simply the main breeding pair and mostly their offspring?
Yes, you're correct.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=942

AStrangerOnline
Pup
Pup
Name: Mochi

Post by AStrangerOnline » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Koa wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:19 pm
Yes, you're correct.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=942
I had thought so, though all of those rank websites really made me question everything that I know about wolves, haha.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:19 pm

A thread by a photographer went viral on Twitter this weekend. The thread, a compilation of "Animals interrupting wildlife photographers," included a photo of a pack of white wolves licking a man. (#12)
https://twitter.com/JoaquimCampa/status ... 77857?s=20

It's important to note that these are captive wolves. The thread may give off the impression that the animals depicted are wild because of the inclusion/wording of "wildlife photographers," but that is not the case for this photo. The man worked for a wolf sanctuary (?) and raised them, which explains the behavior. I would be hard-pressed to think that wild wolves would do this.
https://bit.ly/3o3hdHH (This notes the filename, which says the man's name and the year 2008. It gives a link to the webpage but that specific link is broken)
https://bit.ly/3p5PLe4 (This is the webpage, which has mostly broken links but you can deduce from the page that he raised the wolves and the wolves pictured must be the group of Canadian wolves from 2008.(

Rostaria
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rostaria » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:32 pm

I get so frustrated when I see stuff like this ( I hope this goes in this thread, if it doesn't feel free to remove. Also I'm quoting from this link https://www.petersenshunting.com/editor ... ves/272873 )

"As Bob Robb wrote back in November 2011, there are a lot of good reasons hunters ought to kill wolves. Despite the fact they’re magnificent animals, they’re still vicious predators that must be carefully managed.
"Therein lies the problem. When wolves are left unchecked, they can, and do, decimate ungulate populations to the point where few animals are left. All those folks who say they only kill the sick and weak have never watched a pack of wolves eat a healthy, mature bull caribou alive as I have. They have never seen the trail of death a pack of wolves leaves behind as it kills to teach its pups how to hunt, or just for fun, eating little of the animals whose lives they have just ended."

Vicious predators? Kill just for fun? If anyone's killing just for fun it's the humans :x
Last edited by Rostaria on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 am

AquaFurredWolf wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:32 pm
I get so frustrated when I see stuff like this ( I hope this goes in this thread, if it doesn't feel free to remove. Also I'm quoting from this link https://www.petersenshunting.com/editor ... ves/272873 )

"As Bob Robb wrote back in November 2011, there are a lot of good reasons hunters ought to kill wolves. Despite the fact they’re magnificent animals, they’re still vicious predators that must be carefully managed.
"Therein lies the problem. When wolves are left unchecked, they can, and do, decimate ungulate populations to the point where few animals are left. All those folks who say they only kill the sick and weak have never watched a pack of wolves eat a healthy, mature bull caribou alive as I have. They have never seen the trail of death a pack of wolves leaves behind as it kills to teach its pups how to hunt, or just for fun, eating little of the animals whose lives they have just ended."

Vicious predators? Kill just for fun? If anyone's killing just for fun it's the humans :x
I agree that such language about wolves is inflammatory and not helpful. However, I do believe it is necessary to manage wolves (as it is an unfortunate reality of our existence and current systems) and maintain population control. Biologists like Dr. L. David Mech, whose knowledge supported projects like WolfQuest and who founded the International Wolf Center, support ESA delisting and state management.

Also, on the contrary, wolves have been documented to engage in surplus killing. Please see my response below.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84901&p=2558869&hil ... s#p2558869

It’s more practical and responsible to engage in conversation about wolves from a context of understanding that they are wild creatures like any other and will behave as predators. Portraying them as villainous is certainly disasterous, but portraying them as innocent is also equally harmful.

Rostaria
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rostaria » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Koa wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 am

I agree that such language about wolves is inflammatory and not helpful. However, I do believe it is necessary to manage wolves (as it is an unfortunate reality of our existence and current systems) and maintain population control. Biologists like Dr. L. David Mech, whose knowledge supported projects like WolfQuest and who founded the International Wolf Center, support ESA delisting and state management.

Also, on the contrary, wolves have been documented to engage in surplus killing. Please see my response below.
https://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84901&p=2558869&hilit=surplus#p2558869

It’s more practical and responsible to engage in conversation about wolves from a context of understanding that they are wild creatures like any other and will behave as predators. Portraying them as villainous is certainly disasterous, but portraying them as innocent is also equally harmful.
My bad, I should have made myself clearer. I certainly understand that they are wild animals and should be treated as such. However the author of the article seemed to think wolves often kill needlessly for fun. I did not mean to imply that they are completely innocent or anything.

How do I put this so I don't come off as the wrong way...? I think we should treat them with respect and strive for a balanced ecosystem, but in some cases it might be nessecary to "manage" them :/.
Last edited by Rostaria on Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 am

DaniBeez wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 pm
Nobody:
Absolutely no one:
The tan-colored variant:

DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa