The General Giggle Thread for Wolves

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Re: The General Giggle Thread for Wolves

Post by duskypack » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:13 pm

I ran across that guide a while ago. I actually added more correct terminology and explained somewhere in the tips to keep in mind real wolf pack structure if they're aiming for that, but I think my edit was rolled back eventually.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup

Post by CapriciousCeilican » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 am

A wolf pack of a whopping four hundred wolves! Lunacy, I say.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... llage.html

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:49 am

HollowedWyld wrote:A wolf pack of a whopping four hundred wolves! Lunacy, I say.
I remember that. I found the discussion thread for that rumor in the trash forum; I've moved it to the public archive so you can read it here.

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Hah, I also like the quote "He said: 'It is unusual for wolves to gather in such numbers of hunt large animal like horses.'" Like wolves' main source of prey isn't rabbits, it's elk and other large ungulates, such as horses. Hah. To be fair I've never heard of wolves killing horses before, so I don't know how common that is, but they certainly fit the description of "large herd-forming ungulate" that makes up a lot of a wolf's food in more wild areas.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:17 am

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. Just spotted this one again on my Facebook feed.

A wolf pack: the first 3 are the old or sick, they give the pace to the entire pack. If it was the other way round, they would be left behind, losing contact with the rest of the pack. In case of an ambush they would be sacrificed. Then come 5 strong ones, the front line. In the center are the rest of the pack members, then the 5 strongest following. Last is alone, the alpha. He controls everything from the rear. In that position he can see everything, decide the direction. He sees all of the pack. The pack moves according to the elders pace and help each other, watch over each other.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am

Because the old or sick could definitely keep up a fast pace of travel without fail...

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Wed May 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Those random aerial shots of a traveling wolf pack with a caption making up an elaborate order that differs from time to time and practically assigning a rank for every single wolf ("See that wolf walking with its head slightly high but its tail relaxed? That's because it's an alphaomegbetsubordinate female!! They keep that posture since birth!! Only light grey females with a hint of amber in their left eye hold that position.") are equally frustrating and amusing. Sometimes it seems like it was taken from a roleplaying site explaining their lore and passed on as a fact.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sat May 20, 2017 2:40 pm

duskypack wrote:Those random aerial shots of a traveling wolf pack with a caption making up an elaborate order that differs from time to time and practically assigning a rank for every single wolf ("See that wolf walking with its head slightly high but its tail relaxed? That's because it's an alphaomegbetsubordinate female!! They keep that posture since birth!! Only light grey females with a hint of amber in their left eye hold that position.") are equally frustrating and amusing. Sometimes it seems like it was taken from a roleplaying site explaining their lore and passed on as a fact.
Made even more hair-pulling when someone comments "Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing!"
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 am

CapriciousCeilican wrote:A wolf pack of a whopping four hundred wolves! Lunacy, I say.
Oh wow. I... I don't even know where to start. Why would somebody even say this? :shock:

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:57 pm

So, a few years ago there was a very controversial documentary that Animal Planet tried to release...
Click

At the International Wolf Center we have daily programs every hour, and at the end of each program we have a slide where we talk about this documentary. The reactions we get from the audience when it pops up are priceless.
The wolf center talks about it further
here.
It is because of these damaging distortions that Man-Eating Super Wolves has been nominated for the Center’s 2014 Scat Award, given for the worst portrayal of wolves in the media, literature or cinema.
Heheheh
And the tempest is raging,

it's caving-in the sky

And the tempest is raging,

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:48 am

Debunking spotted on the IWC's Twitter account-
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Neamara wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:48 am
Debunking spotted on the IWC's Twitter account-
Haha, that's a good one.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Taken from an April opinion piece about why wolves shouldn't be reintroduced to Colorado:
A 2016 study of the Yellowstone wolves found bubonic plague, hydatid disease, which can be fatal to humans, echinococcus granulosis, canine adenovirus, herpes virus, and coronavirus.

You read that right. Wolves are among the Earth’s primary carriers of coronavirus, the pandemic that is now sweeping the globe, having infected nearly 100,000 people and killed over 3,000 that we know about.

Naturally, the original researchers are horrified by the deliberate misinterpretation of their research.

After reading Walcher’s piece, Ellen Brandell, a wildlife disease ecologist at Penn State University who researches wolves in Yellowstone National Park, wrote to me saying that she and her colleagues are “horrified by his misinterpretation of their results and use of the current COVID-19 outbreak to create more fear generally, and around wolves in particular. As infectious disease and wolf experts let us set the record straight.

“Canine coronavirus has been found in dogs and wolves but is entirely unrelated to the current COVID-19 outbreak. Like all wildlife and domestic species, wolves are host to a range of pathogens and parasites, but your risk of getting crushed by a soda machine (about four deaths per year in the U.S.) are higher than any risk posed by wolves. The mentioned infections, including parvovirus, herpesvirus and coronavirus, are canine-specific viruses that are not known to transmit to humans. ... "
(taken from here, I left out the rest of their statement but I recommend reading the whole thing).

I'm equal parts shocked and amused by how political the Colorado wolf reintroduction debate is getting now that it's on the ballot (which is to be expected since the decision is no longer in the hands of scientists and lawmakers). I didn't expect "fake news" to enter the wolf political world, let alone COVID-19 to be used as a fear-mongering tactic in the reintroduction debate, but perhaps that's just naivety.

At least this misinformation resulted in this hilariously dry line from a different article:
If you're coughing and sneezing, don't hang out with wolves and don't eat one, if you can help it.

There goes my weekend plans.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:32 pm

Total manipulation of the facts! There are HUNDREDS of coronaviruses, SARS-CoV-2 is just one of them!! Good find.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Good find, indeed! I generally take opeds with a grain of salt, but this is one of those that should not have been published, in my opinion. I have to agree with the commenter that publishing something of that nature during a pandemic is irresponsible.

Not sure if you were aware, but the International Wolf Center posted a COVID-19 and canine Q&A here.