Would you live with wolves if you had a chance to?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Firekeeper
Pup
Pup

If You Could Live With a Wolf Pack, Would You?

Post by Firekeeper » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:35 pm

I have enjoyed the Firekeeper series by Jane Lindskold for a long time now. It is a series about a girl who was raise by intelligent, language-using wolves, then returns to the humans and learn their ways. Don't worry, she still thinks of herself as a wolf! This led me to a question. How many of you would honestly like to live among a wolfpack and go by their rules?

As for me, I think that I would enjoy it immensly, but it would be hard unless I had been raised by the pack. It is already hard enough to get accepted by a pack, but then throw in the cold and needing food, it'd be almost impossible.

I saw a special on National Geographic where a man is doing just that. He studies wolves and was given orphaned pups, which he raised by hand. He wanted the wolves to be able to survive in the wild however, so he left behind his family and everyone to live with them! They were in an enclosure, but are now roaming free in Yellowstone (I believe.) This man was alpha since he raised the pups and taught them the different howls to use, how to hunt, pack heirarchy, and just about everything. He didn't remain alpha, however. One of the pups overthrew him and he had to eat last eventually. This guy was definitly one of a kind. He would actually eat off the kill with them, and when he was alpha, he'd keep them away until he had taken the choicest meats. Here's a link to the story:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... raphy.html
"Awake, Little Two-legs. The dawn is becoming day. Your journey is before you."

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: If You Could Live With a Wolf Pack, Would You?

Post by Vida » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:53 pm

It would be immensely hard in my opinion. If you were to be accepted into a wolf pack (somehow), how could you hunt with them? What if they were attacked? How could you get the proper nutrients in order to survive? I wouldn't know the heirachy and I'm not as strong as wolves are. I wouldn't have fur to keep me warm.

I would love to though, if I wouldn't have to worry about those things xD.

I remember seeing that doctumentry. It cost him his family, but he is truly dedicated to helping animals. You don't see many people who are that selfless and passionate
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Fenris
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Fenris » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:19 am

I would want to really bad but i couldnt because my family. I couldnt leave my pets. I would love to but i would be hard if i was lowest rank

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:28 pm

I think the idea is romantic of being wild and free with a bunch of wolves, but I would never want a wild wolf to know people. If that wolf associtates people with kindness, then it could make it easy prey for people who dislike wolves. But the idea sounds beautiful.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 pm

I don't think I would like to for my entire life necissarily, but I would love to be able to do it for a while :mrgreen: living with a wolf pack would be awsome, but right now I would like to actually SEE a wolf...
icon by Rottenrobbie

Speaking Skies
Pup
Pup

Post by Speaking Skies » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:27 am

It will be very hard, so I guess I wouldnt be able to do it in the wild, unless I was a baby who grew up with them, which, in therory, can happen.
Support spacetravel! Cause if we're going to deal wih the political game, we put liberals on Mars with what they ask for and keep the conservitives here, who'll blow up their planet?
http://offxthexleash.proboards107.com
HOWL Help Our Withering Logic

Firekeeper
Pup
Pup

Post by Firekeeper » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Speaking Skies wrote:It will be very hard, so I guess I wouldnt be able to do it in the wild, unless I was a baby who grew up with them, which, in therory, can happen.
Very, very slim chance of wolves raising a baby. Watched a different special on National Geographic where they debunked every single story about wild animals raising a baby. The closest one was of a ?hungarian? girl, who's parents just threw her outside with the dogs when she was three. She was rescued eventually and learned how to speak, but her mind was forever altered. She was saying how barking and tusseling with the other dogs makes her happy.

Anyways, seeing as a human baby grows up slower than the other pups and they could not eat meat when the other pups could, it wouldn't work even if there was a female that nursed the child. Most likely, the baby would be left behind when the wolves decided it was time to move away from their birthing den.

Timber Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Timber Wolf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:21 pm

If I was a wold I'd wan't to live in a wolf pack, but not as a human. o___O

Howlin' Wolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Howlin' Wolf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:25 pm

lol read Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George, it has to do with this sort of perdiciment. :mrgreen: (its also a good book for those wolf lovers out there! thats what i think.)
Meep.
......what? you want me to say something else? :O Okay....THIS. IS. SPARTAAAAA!
(btw, mai multiplayer account name ish BlackRose567; named after my wolfie character herself. :3

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:11 pm

I've read that book Howlin'. I love it :mrgreen:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Firekeeper
Pup
Pup

Post by Firekeeper » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:38 pm

I have read that book also. It is awesome how the author makes it so believable, like it could happen in real life.

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:09 pm

hahaha no. As much as I love wolves are am far to much of a city boy and enjoy the comforts of modernity.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

Timberwolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Timberwolf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:03 pm

if u read julie of the wolves, it seems quite possible. i would personally like being in a wolf pack, and i envy that man whos doing that!! i get along better with animals then i do people, as a matter of fact.
Arutaharu! Sing to me that song- cleanse the flith of your earthen crest, wipe the cruel grime from your royal eyes! Lift your head and howl, howl to paint once again... that picture of nature's beauty....

Sing to me... once again...
(c) me

SwanSong
Pup
Pup

Post by SwanSong » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:39 pm

If I was in the wild and had no alternative, I might try. But it would also be dangerous to even approach a wild wolf pack. You have to keep in mind that they are wild animals.

(I liked the Julie series, BTW. I've read the first one, Julie of the Wolves, and the third one, Julie's Wolf Pack.)
"A prince does not look back;
Only ahead."

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Post by tikomi » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:04 pm

thatwould be fun, hard, exciting, and a huge hydrenalyn rush. The problem is that even if you are accepted, but you begin acting somewhat human for a while rather than wolf, the pack will pick that up and will most likely turn against you (you can figure out the rest, run away faster than them for 1 mile, or die) I was watching a show on Animal Planet that they strongly advised parental guidence for extreme and possible graphic images. The man, for get his name this was about 2 yrs back, had been living with the pack for about three months, then in that fourth month, he got stupid. He lit a fire and started cooking meat with the alpha male AND female right there within reach. THe wolves got scared, then suspicious and the pack attacked. THe show blacked out right as the pach was watching in the surrounding trees and they did a memorial for the guy. So life would be EXTREMELY FUN but still dangerous if your not careful, and your not a wolf.
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.