What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfadore
Pup
Pup

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by wolfadore » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:35 pm

I would help it, but not bring it home. I would probably bring it to a wolf sanctuary or something.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Wolfqueen2301 wrote:I would bring it to the nearest wild life facility. If they can't help, I would keep the wolf pup and let him be with my dog.
absolutely nothing wrong with this idea
you bringing a wild animal into your home is actually more harmful to the species than if you just left it. its wild, even if it is a puppy.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

[ghost bird]
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by [ghost bird] » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:32 pm

• I'd watch it through a spotting scope or binoculars. And leave it alone.
    Skybreaker wrote:
    Wolfqueen2301 wrote:I would bring it to the nearest wild life facility. If they can't help, I would keep the wolf pup and let him be with my dog.
    absolutely nothing wrong with this idea
    you bringing a wild animal into your home is actually more harmful to the species than if you just left it. its wild, even if it is a puppy.
    No need to be so... I don't know, mean.
TIE fighter noise

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Like many have said, wolves are wild animals, it would be best to leave it alone or call some sort of officials who deal with animals and are experts when it comes to wild animals, you shouldn't just take a wild animal home, especially animals like wolves, because wolves hunt and are likely to harm people or pets....

So if I were to find a wolf pup, I'd probably freak out about how cute it is, but then either call officials or just leave it there, although I'd keep looking back at it, making sure its ok

BlueEverest
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueEverest » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:21 pm

If I saw a wolf pup I would take it and get a dog pup and hope that the wolf will start acting like a dog pup

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:50 pm

CakeWolfy wrote:Like many have said, wolves are wild animals, it would be best to leave it alone or call some sort of officials who deal with animals and are experts when it comes to wild animals, you shouldn't just take a wild animal home, especially animals like wolves, because wolves hunt and are likely to harm people or pets....

So if I were to find a wolf pup, I'd probably freak out about how cute it is, but then either call officials or just leave it there, although I'd keep looking back at it, making sure its ok
Those are my thoughts exactly!
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

TheNeonPanther
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by TheNeonPanther » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 pm

If it was out in the open and NOT in a den, I would leave it for 15 - 20 minutes to see if the parents come back or not, then after that, pick it up and feed it (Maybe, if it acted REALLY hungry.) then take it to a wildlife center. For me, it mostly depends on the age, weather, time of day, the health of the pup, if there are hawks/eagles around that area or not, ect. :)
I would do all those things, that is unless I thought it was a dog puppy. XD

MormonCricket
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by MormonCricket » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:59 pm

I think I would shoot it, wolves only cause trouble to livestock and they really can't help it. Other than that feed it and heal it and find where the pack was, because I know where the wolf pack/coyote packs are roughly, and then just hope for the best.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:21 pm

MormonCricket wrote:I think I would shoot it, wolves only cause trouble to livestock and they really can't help it. Other than that feed it and heal it and find where the pack was, because I know where the wolf pack/coyote packs are roughly, and then just hope for the best.

I disagree, wildlife rehabilitation centres could definitely help to make sure the pup is fed and healthy and raise it. I imagine it would be very difficult and unrealistic to find the parent pack and try to return the pup so likely, it would be adopted to a zoo, wildlife education centre, or wolf centre and become an ambassador animal as either a pup or young adult, as was the case with two wolves I met at the Saskatoon zoo. Or perhaps it would be released back into the wild as an adult.
Shooting would be a rather harsh reaction I think. I understand putting a wolf down if it is posing a threat to humans or has attacked livestock, but a lone (and likely abandoned or orphaned) pup is harmless. It's a bit cruel.

If I saw a wolf pup alone in the wilderness, the first reaction would be to call animal control or something of the sort and leave it to them. And not approach it in case the parents are nearby. It would be hard to resist cuddling and petting the pup, though. Wolf pups are adorable.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Wed May 04, 2016 1:20 am

I suppose it does depend on where I see it. If it's in or very close to a human settlement, I'd call a wildlife center. If it's out alone in the middle of the wilderness far away from people, I'd probably leave it. I'd have no idea about whether the pack/parents are nearby or if I'd actually stumbled upon a den (which I may not be able to see from far away; they're usually hidden), so I'd leave that area fairly quickly. It would be bad for its pack to return and find me with their pup. I'd probably be killed.
Last edited by Noctis_ on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

LakotaTheOmega
Pup
Pup

Post by LakotaTheOmega » Thu May 05, 2016 4:14 am

To me, it depends on the environment really. If it was in the wild I would look at it and probably say how cute it is, and then either watch it a bit more or move on. If it was near human habitation then I might call the officials or something.
M07PgE43Kk41NSRLI0cqQUo1JTVKWio3DQoNC

kIzR09OQCM3KiNPWSo3WSpaKjVKPc+AKk9A

SapphyWolf
Pup
Pup
Location: Sanfransokyo, because fictional places are more interesting. :>

Post by SapphyWolf » Wed May 25, 2016 11:41 am

Skybreaker wrote:I fail to see why calling animal control would be a bad idea.
My mother told me that animal control will most likely kill wild animals, she told me animal control is more for things like a stray dog that keeps terrorizing pets. People will call animal control so they can take the dog into their shelters, and since they can't put a baby wolf up for adoption in a shelter they kill it. I don't know if animal control would contact a wildlife center first or not, I'm just going by what my mother told me. If they do, great! :D

And back to the topic, if I found a baby wolf I would go "Awww!" and probably take a picture depending on the situation (like if I'm at a wolf conversation center). If the pup is wounded I would call a wildlife center and have them care for it. I wouldn't bring the puppy home with me because of all the requirements it takes to care for one, and for the fact that they are really dangerous when they get bigger.
Hello friends it is I, SapphyWolf~!

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed May 25, 2016 8:50 pm

tbh i fail to see why you would call animal control anyway. If its in a wild environment, leave it. Unless its in a populated area it is causing no harm.

Didn't y'all hear about the bison calf that got picked up in yellowstone because some tourists thought it was "cold" and stuck it in their car? And the calf had to be put down? Don't mess with wildlife.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Wed May 25, 2016 10:44 pm

i've come to realize that humans have this innate need to help things that don't need to be helped. idk it's like we all want to be the hero but in reality, we're jeopardizing the life of whatever we're trying to help (read: those kids that tried to save a beached dolphin or something like that but they all wanted to take selfies first so they literally killed it lol) anyway, i'd just leave it. wolves aren't in danger of going extinct and they're pretty resilient anyway. one pup won't hurt their population. but finding one would be pretty cool -- scary, but cool! i'd watch it for a little bit and keep my distance in case the parents decided to show up, but i wouldn't touch it or call anyone or anything like that. idk. that probably sounds cruel but just let nature do its thing fam.
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
............ ............
sig © twinlinskis

Samber
Name: Akira

Post by Samber » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:08 pm

I would probably leave him/her, because it's not a good idea to take a wild animal away from his/hers home. But if he/she was in a bad condition, he/she was hurt, sick, hungry, i would probably take him/her to Animals Care Center or just to a vet. Then when he/she gets better i would leave him/her back where i found him/her.

Wow, lots of "him/her" there, hahah.
Last edited by Samber on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
─ are you calling me a sinner?
av©lupinz
x
X
X

not active anymore