What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

hcj
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: What would u do if you see a wolf pup

Post by hcj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 am

Well if your asking like if it were in real life i live in a neighbor hood so the chances of me finding a wolf pup here are very very slim. But if i did find a wolf pup where i live i would probably keep it because i don't want it to go to the zoo. I WILL NOT! call animal control. so yes i would keep it but if i lived near where wolves are i probably would find the place where the pack last was and put the pup there hoping its parents would find it
We are all perfectly imperfect.
If your gonna have a day might as well make it a good one

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:18 am

I fail to see why calling animal control would be a bad idea.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Stashalee
Pup
Pup

Post by Stashalee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:05 am

Survival chances of a wolf pup without parents are extremely low, why would it be left alone at all? ( well, besides hunting trips of coarse. ) It's the nature of living organisms to take care of their young, and protect it. E.G, If you went up to a duckling, it's highly likely the mother would try attack you.

Or if you just want a straight answer, I would say leave it alone, or maybe the parents would have an attack on you for messing with the baby in the first place. ( Like the duck would.)
I am Bezrail @ dA

۞۞
Ł ƬӇЄ STƛƦƧ AƦE
AƜAƘEƝ TƠ THЄ SὄƲƝD Of TӇE ƑƖƦЄƁi
۞۞
Avatar|Signature|Lyrics © Me|Me|Galantis

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:49 am

Stashalee wrote:Survival chances of a wolf pup without parents are extremely low, why would it be left alone at all? ( well, besides hunting trips of coarse. ) It's the nature of living organisms to take care of their young, and protect it. E.G, If you went up to a duckling, it's highly likely the mother would try attack you.

Or if you just want a straight answer, I would say leave it alone, or maybe the parents would have an attack on you for messing with the baby in the first place. ( Like the duck would.)
The adults may not always attack; their likeliness to do so may vary depending upon the situation, and they may save themselves when in danger before their pups at all. Or, they may do absolutely nothing.

Stashalee
Pup
Pup

Post by Stashalee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Koa wrote: The adults may not always attack; their likeliness to do so may vary depending upon the situation, and they may save themselves when in danger before their pups at all. Or, they may do absolutely nothing.
Well... I've probably thought the wrong answer for that on the attacking part. Only since I've got those answers from different animal parents ( Geese, possibly Polar bears, etc.) ... :oops:
I am Bezrail @ dA

۞۞
Ł ƬӇЄ STƛƦƧ AƦE
AƜAƘEƝ TƠ THЄ SὄƲƝD Of TӇE ƑƖƦЄƁi
۞۞
Avatar|Signature|Lyrics © Me|Me|Galantis

Obedear
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Obedear » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Leave it. It's not mine to handle.
Let me explain
This ugliness, this cruelty, this repulsiveness
It will all die out
And now, I cry for all that is beautiful

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:32 pm

I would leave it for various reasons.

I am an extreme wolf lover but I know its best to leave the pup. I've got a long explanation but I'll use the shortened version:

Reason 1 ~ If I moved it then the chances are the parents will not be able to find it. If the pup was abandoned it has probably been accidentally left behind and the parents will come searching for it. Or the parents believed it was not fit enough/wouldn't survive at all. They left it instead of caring for a wolf that could have a disease or issue that is life threatening or maybe it doesn't have the right instincts.

Reason 2 ~ Realistically I don't have the money or space. Taking care of a wolf costs a lot and they need so much care. It's not like looking after your dog or cat. It takes to much effort and you can't feed them that dry food you can feed dogs. They have to be fed meat, which is hard to come by. Also you'd need so much space to keep it in, it'd aleays want to escape.

Reason 3 ~ You can't reintroduce it. It'll have been in 'captivity' too long, and not know any of the vital skills its mother would've taught it.

I understand why some people would say take it home but think practically.

Edit -

I have just read through some other comments and just wanted to add something, if you have the pup to a sanctuary it would never be released. Even will minimal human interaction. This is because in Zoos/Safari Parks/Sanctuary's they're not allowed to feed them live animals to kill. This is because of the animal cruelty things etc. But this would result in the pup not knowing how to even hunt let alone survive for itself seen as its given everything by a human.

As the pup is young it probably hasn't been trained by its mother so has no idea what to do, how to survive alone or in a pack and how to keep healthy. They're all vital lessons that only its mother could teach, not a human.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Nevara
Pup
Pup
Name: Kiki

Post by Nevara » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:56 am

Even if it would pain me to leave the pup, I would still do it. There are no wild wolves in my state so I'd probably never have to make the decision anyways
Alto saxophones forever~

Icon by LupinzPack

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:07 am

Not that this kind of thing would ever happen to me because I live in a country that has not seen wolves for over 150 years (we saw one or two a while back, coming back over the borders from Germany), but in case it would, I would leave the pup in the wild.

Unless the parents are dead or have abandoned it. Then I would try to get it in a zoo or try to get in contact with people who do know how to take care of a wolf pup and how to get it back into the wild safely. But I would never keep it myself because wolves are wild, you can't tame them.
It will be a hard task caring for them and your care will only be torture to them because they don't belong with humans, they don't belong in a home like a dog.
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Leave it. Let natural selection take its course.
Wolves aren't meant to be kept as pets.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:49 pm

Leave it. Though i would probably fell bad. Maybe call a wolf center and ask if they can take care of it? I don't know... xD
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:14 am

-FireBreaker- wrote:Leave it. Though i would probably fell bad. Maybe call a wolf center and ask if they can take care of it? I don't know... xD
I'd pretty much do that ^. If it was hurt, I'd have to take it to a wolf sanctuary or something of the like.
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile picture by Kyse (TheInfinite) (Humphrey from Alpha and Omega)
If I don't post in colour, it means I'm on mobile... just sayin'

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:15 am

I would ignore the wolf at first, I would check on him for the next few days to see if he is still there or if there are any pack members. The pup may just be watching itself for the time being during a hunt or playing at a rendezvous site if it is summertime. But I would likely leave the pup, as much as it would pain me to do so nature must take it's course.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

ItsLiminal
Pup
Pup

Post by ItsLiminal » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:43 am

I would ignore it! You aren't supposed to bother young animals of any kind. More often than not, the parent left them there for a reason and will return soon enough!

Edit: I just have to say that last time I thought I was "rescuing" a baby animal, was when I was a kid and found a squirrel seemingly stranded in our yard. Picking it up and attempting to take care of it just resulted in me with a profusely bleeding bite on my hand. After putting it back where I found it and after I had gone inside, I watched the mother come back and immediately carry the baby up to the nest. So, definitely, do NOT try to take in wild animals.

Wolfqueen2301
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolfqueen2301 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:49 pm

I would bring it to the nearest wild life facility. If they can't help, I would keep the wolf pup and let him be with my dog.
"Be strong enough to stand alone
Be yourself alone to stand apart
But be wise enough to stay together
When the time comes"
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/440578776020956624/