Have you ever seen a wolf?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

north_wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Have you ever seen a wolf?

Post by north_wolf » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:05 am

I have seen more than one wolf! I've never seen one in captivity, unlike most of you hehe.
The first time I was 8 years old, hunting coyotes on our family farm. I turned around and looked up and there was a wolf 30 yards from me, just looking at me. I thought it was a giant coyote and didn't realize it was a wolf until years later when I learned more about canines. It ran off before I could shoot it, thankfully.
The second time we were hunting elk and were driving towards our hunting spot when a wolf darted in front of us on the road.
The third time, it was the middle of the night and I was sleeping on the roof of our ocean boat (I liked to look at the stars, I was about 12). We were along the Vancouver coast, where there's a lot of wolves. Anchored not far from the shore, I woke up randomly to growling and saw a white, dog-sized animal on the shore. Based on its movements and vocals I can only assume it was a wolf.
I have also seen a wolf on our own land, a beautiful tawny brown male. He disappeared quickly.
I have seen wolves on other occasions as well, but not as noteworthy as these ones. We're avid outdoors people and hunters, so I see a lot of wildlife. That first wolf meeting still sticks in my mind. I've seen grey, brown, tawny, and reddish wolves but never a pure black wolf. I've seen wolves that I thought at first were deer they were so big, and I've seen wolves that were small and disappeared quickly. No matter what EVERY time gives me goosebumps. I'm extremely blessed. I've also howled to, and heard, wolves howl, but only a couple of times.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 am

north_wolf wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:05 am
I have seen more than one wolf! I've never seen one in captivity, unlike most of you hehe.
The first time I was 8 years old, hunting coyotes on our family farm. I turned around and looked up and there was a wolf 30 yards from me, just looking at me. I thought it was a giant coyote and didn't realize it was a wolf until years later when I learned more about canines. It ran off before I could shoot it, thankfully.
The second time we were hunting elk and were driving towards our hunting spot when a wolf darted in front of us on the road.
The third time, it was the middle of the night and I was sleeping on the roof of our ocean boat (I liked to look at the stars, I was about 12). We were along the Vancouver coast, where there's a lot of wolves. Anchored not far from the shore, I woke up randomly to growling and saw a white, dog-sized animal on the shore. Based on its movements and vocals I can only assume it was a wolf.
I have also seen a wolf on our own land, a beautiful tawny brown male. He disappeared quickly.
I have seen wolves on other occasions as well, but not as noteworthy as these ones. We're avid outdoors people and hunters, so I see a lot of wildlife. That first wolf meeting still sticks in my mind. I've seen grey, brown, tawny, and reddish wolves but never a pure black wolf. I've seen wolves that I thought at first were deer they were so big, and I've seen wolves that were small and disappeared quickly. No matter what EVERY time gives me goosebumps. I'm extremely blessed. I've also howled to, and heard, wolves howl, but only a couple of times.
You're very lucky! I'm sure that when hunting often in an area where wolves are around, you're bound to see a wolf at least once or twice. Multiple different wolves though? That's luck.

xWhiteWolf3000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: White

Post by xWhiteWolf3000 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:46 pm

I’ve seen wolves a few times... but I’ve only seen them at zoos or at Busch Gardens... I think it was Busch Gardens... I forgot 😂but i actually want to see a wild wolf pack that aren’t in captivity. It’s one of the things I really want to do.

Seiun
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Reyes

Post by Seiun » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Story time! Here in Southern Ontario, seeing a wolf is rare as the amount of fields doesn't exactly cater to wolf habitat. Most of the wolves here are coywolves (Coyote+wolf hybrid). About 4-5 hours North of me is a wolf sanctuary that I've been lucky enough to visit twice! They have a pack living in acres of enclosed land as they wouldn't live for very long outside of their semi-captive lifestyle (they're fed the larger roadkill that tourists and community members call in. i.e. moose, deer). You're able to view the wolves through one way glass, so you can see them but they can't see you. They obviously know you're there though due to the sounds and smells :P

I've also had a chance to attend a wolf howl with this pack. You walk way back into the woods once the sun sets and the guide howls to the wolves. The sound is unbelievable. Not only was I able to hear the pack which sounded like about 30 wolves, but in the distance you could hear outside wolves that the guide explained were not part of the captive pack, but were instead roaming wild as there are many loners and packs in the area.

What makes me sad is vandals came and cut the fence a few years ago. They believe they were animal rights activists thinking they were freeing the wolves when in reality, the wolves wouldn't last long as they've never hunted large prey for themselves or have ever had to defend themselves from other predators. The alpha female and three other wolves escaped. Only the alpha female and one other wolf were returned alive. The other two were found by community members either shot or deceased in other ways.

If you ever get a chance to view wolves in am ore natural habitat than a zoo, please do! It's an experience I'd love to do again and would one day love to work with these wonderful animals in the future.
R E Y E S
You're afraid of letting go, and so you stay here again today...

AudioWolf83
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Amaterasu

Post by AudioWolf83 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:05 pm

I have in Captivity, several times. But never in the wild. I would certainly cherish it if I did see a wild'un though.

I've been to two Wolf Sanctuaries - never seen Wolves in-person at a Zoo - One was "Wolf Haven International", two-hour drive up north from where I live. The other was "Wolf Mountain Sanctuary" which I went while on Christmas Vacation.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Only in captivity, and even then, seldomly. My local zoo only has red wolves. I've been there multiple times and have yet to see a red wolf unfortunately. There are no wolves in the southern Northeast, and the nearest wolf sanctuaries are 3+ hours away from me. I can't travel that far, especially for 'just' a wolf sanctuary. Every day I visit the International Wolf Center's live cams. It's a treasure seeing a wolf pop up, even if it's virtual. Some day I would like to see a wild wolf, or more wolves in captivity at the very least. If I get excited when I see a wolf on the IWC's live cams I can't imagine what I'll do if I see a wild wolf in person. Probably faint. :mrgreen:
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Mikaylawolf2
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Mikayla

Post by Mikaylawolf2 » Wed May 17, 2023 2:47 am

Not really but I would like that.
Playing WolfQuest for 4 and half years

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Post by Wind_Shadow » Tue May 23, 2023 8:20 am

Some of these wolf sighting stories are amazing! I've never seen a wild wolf, but once I visited a wolf preserve for my birthday, and I saw lots of beautiful wolves, among other animals! They had several different types of wolves, too, including timbers, arctics, and my personal favorite, British Columbia wolves! I took so many pictures and videos of them. One of the British Columbia wolves was extremely active and friendly (if a wolf can be friendly), and was running up and down the length of the fence! Then all of the wolves were howling at each other, and it was amazing!

I'd love to see a wild wolf at some point! Next summer, if all goes well, I should hopefully get to visit Yellowstone! I'm making sure the trip will encompass a visit to Lamar Valley. Fingers crossed I'll see one!
The darkest night gave birth to a breeze,
Which grew to a storm, which shook the trees
A howl of fury tore through the night,
Fueling the fight to make wrongs right
The cry of the night was spread and thinned,
Carried on the shadow of the wind

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:10 am

When I went to Yellowstone in Summer of 2020, I saw a small group of wolves in Hayden Valley. They were pretty far away, but my uncle (who was with me) had a pair of binoculars that he let me use to get a closer view. These wolves were also about 50 yards from a small group of Bison. I don't think they were hunting them, the wolves were just kind of resting/hanging around and the bison were just grazing as if the wolves weren't there. It was crazy just how many cars stopped to watch them. That was one of the most interesting encounters I had while I was there.