Have you ever seen a wolf?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

balto251
Pup
Pup

Re: Have you ever seen a Wolf?

Post by balto251 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:22 pm

I was at an alpine zoo in Big Bear Lake, and they had a pack of wolves there. They were all white/light tan, and their coats were a little thin, but for the end of June/beginning of July, it was understandable. Me and a few other onlookers heard a siren in the distance, and one of them shortly howled twice, and after a little imitation from me and other onlookers, we howled with them. It was the best experience of my life.

Selvester
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Selvester » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:42 pm

Once in a zoo I believe, otherwise my only experience with them would be from behind a screen. Hasn't stopped my admiration for the species however. I would LOVE to see them again sometime.

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Sat May 05, 2018 11:39 am

In March I went to Yellowstone National Park. I was out with a guide Leo Leckie for those of you who follow Yellowstone Reports and wolf biologist in Yellowstone. We were out in Yellowstone and wolves were spotted so we hurried over to the place they were spotted. It was the Junction Butte pack. Five blacks one gray, 969F the main breeding female of the pack. The wolves were bed down for most of the time but every once and a while they would rally and howl. The wolves were three miles away so didn't hear them howl except once we heard the joined voices of the pack howling. Soon the wolves got up and walked out of sight.
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Ive seen wolves in captivity, in an animal thing in Branson City, Mo. Can't remember the name of the place, but they had at least 5 wolves, all black and brown. They were really pretty! One was at the window and I got a really close up view. I want to see wolves in Yellowstone though..
. . «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» . .
. ⌐∙ . ∙•°F8°•∙ . ∙¬ .
So take the best parts of me
Locked away without the keys . .. . ════ =
= ════. .. .And know that I'm forever by your side
= «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» =
avatar=Lupe/signature=TimberRaven

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Mon May 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Black Burn wrote:Ive seen wolves in captivity, in an animal thing in Branson City, Mo. Can't remember the name of the place, but they had at least 5 wolves, all black and brown. They were really pretty! One was at the window and I got a really close up view. I want to see wolves in Yellowstone though..
Same here. I've only ever seen/interacted with captive wolves. I'd love to witness a wolf in the wild, though. It seems like it would be such a magical experience.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri May 11, 2018 3:43 am

I've seen wolves at my local zoo. There aren't any wild wolves where I am, so zoos are basically my only way of seeing them unless I travel somewhere.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sat May 12, 2018 3:01 pm

I once went to a zoo with a relatively large wolf enclosure. Near the viewing area there was a mock 'wolf's den' made of stone, meant to accurately represent how large wolves' dens are/what they typically look like, and people were able to crawl inside (It was large enough for about two people my size to fit comfortably).
The wolves themselves were pale in color, mainly very light gray with some earthy tints. The people I was with at the time expressed confusion, since they thought wolves were typically darker in color (closer to a medium gray, while these wolves were almost white).
I think the pack was roughly 6 wolves large, and most of them were laying down, resting. A few were wandering around. It was a warm, sunny day, so I imagine they weren't too interested in being active. I took some pictures and video, then began to move around the enclosure to see if I could get a better view elsewhere. While the wolves were out of my view, I heard people exclaiming in surprise and excitement, so I hurried back to where I'd been to check it out. The wolves had all gotten up and had begun sprinting across the enclosure, before stopping abruptly at a tree fairly close to where I was. The pack circled around the base of the tree, staring intently up into the branches. They continued to do this for a few minutes, before they finally lost interest and went back to resting.
As I'd found out by listening to the people around me, the pack had spotted a squirrel that had wandered into their enclosure, and had chased it until it fled up the tree. It sounded like the wolves were very close to catching it. I remember wondering if the wolves, between meals, ever consumed unfortunate squirrel snacks entering their enclosure. There were plenty of squirrels around, due to the food service in the zoo.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

Invar
Pup
Pup

Re: Have you ever seen a wolf?

Post by Invar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:25 pm

I've only seen a wild one once, in Quebec, near Grenville-Sur-La-Rouge.

Sableback
Pup
Pup

Post by Sableback » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Went to Yellowstone with my family last month. We were only there for about three days and one morning.
The third day we saw a wolf, about 150-200 yards (give or take) away from the road. It was alone. Only wild wolf I've seen, and really beautiful. It was just standing there, staring out at the treeline about 300 yards from the road. Noticed us (and the 4-8 photographers) but didn't seem to care.

The only other wolves I've seen in person have been at sanctuaries and zoos.
:;-~`~-;:;-~`~-;:;-~`~-;:
the woods are lovely, dark, & deep
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep
:;-~`~-;:;-~`~-;:;-~`~-;:

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Saw some red wolves at the zoo!

Post by PearlyReborn » Sat May 04, 2019 3:09 pm

I was at my local zoo and there were two red wolves in an enclosure! I took two pictures and a video, I thought you all might enjoy.

Here's the video! https://youtu.be/aIf-_f2lq48
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat May 04, 2019 5:43 pm

@ PearlyReborn- I merged your post with this thread as there isn't a need for a separate thread since we have this one.

Aesir26
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Aesir26 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:18 pm

I've never seen a wild wolf but it's my goal to see one and hopefully get a picture someday. I have seen some in a sanctuary for wolves in Idaho and it was really amazing. I never realized how big they were since it's one thing to read about measurements on a sheet of paper and another to see one in person. We also have some wolves at my local zoo/conservancy.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 am

I have seen 2 at Hershey parks zoo
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:46 am

I have seen a few at a zoo (I believe it was at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo) but I've never had the chance to see one in the wild.

Somber_Requiem
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Requiem

Post by Somber_Requiem » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 am

I soooo wish I could see a wolf again anyway, I saw one once at a zoo and they were so gorgeous.
“If you’ve got time to point fingers, then how about using your head to figure out what you want to do about it?” – Karma Akabane