Wolf Chat

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Interesting info Canidae. Some of those claims are quite odd, though their interesting to read.^^
Shaun Ellis is quite an interesting person, he has learnt a lot about wolves, some of which is quite interesting. =3
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Those are interesting facts there, Canidae. They do seem strange to me...like the one about the Alphas jabbing antlers at the pups. Never heard of that.

opipek
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by opipek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:27 am

;P Go WQ
Keep Calm and Drink Tea :D

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:30 am

opipek wrote:;P Go WQ
Hey there; you need to post at least 3 words when you post, and you should contribute to the conversation at hand, alrighty? ;D

You can post random things in the Off Topic Topic instead if you wish^^:

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1849

Faolane
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Faolane » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Yeah, wolves are awesome. If you wanted a list of reasons I love wolves, it would take about two millenniums to read it, and longer to write it... So yeah....

Anyways, some reasons I love them are that they are intelligent, magnificent, majestic, beautiful, interesting, educational, and have incredibly complex social structures.

Their social structures have always amazed me with their complexity. They have hierarchy, yes, but the interesting things are things like the fact that they mate for life, and just how each wolf expresses their dominace/submission. I am completely fascinated by this.
~๔๏ภt ๓คкє ค ฬгเtєг ๓ค๔. รђє ฬเll קยt ץ๏ย เภ ђєг ๒๏๏к คภ๔ кเll ץ๏ย~

RAWR

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:45 pm

That is some interesting details you've shared there, Canidae! And yes, those claims which Shaun Ellis has made do seem rather unsual, haven't heard of some of those before.
Faolane wrote:Their social structures have always amazed me with their complexity. They have hierarchy, yes, but the interesting things are things like the fact that they mate for life, and just how each wolf expresses their dominace/submission. I am completely fascinated by this.
That is one of the things which fasinates me about wolves, social structure. I like how it seems sort of complex, but nevertheless, its good to learn about these sorts of things, when looking at any animal for that matter.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:16 pm

- Female wolves will more frequently make the first strike on a prey animal than males.
- The Alpha female leads the hunt, and by adjusting the position of her tail, she releases an odor that tells the other pack members what way to go.
- Before hunting, the Alpha female will find a scrap of food, such as a deer antler, and use it to tell the other pack members exactly what they're going to hunt.
- The Alpha female analyzes the pack's needs, and chooses prey based on what she thinks the pack needs.
- The Alpha pair will howl with low, short tones. Beta wolves howl with longer tones that are higher in pitch than the Alphas', but still low-pitched.
- Wolves have a sense of smell 100,000 times greater than our own.
- Wolves can cover 100 miles in a single day.
- If a wolf needs to immediately run, they will sometimes barf up the contents of their stomach so they can run faster.
- The Alpha pair will use dangerous parts of prey, such as hooves and antlers, to train their pups how to hunt. They'll pick up, for example, a deer antler, and jab it at their pups if the pups approach them from the front.
- Scientists are currently researching whether the type of food the pack eats enables the alpha female to predetermine seven or eight months before her breeding season the number and gender of pups she will have, depending on whether their purpose in life will be to stay with the pack or to move away and establish a new pack in a neighboring territory. Without other wolf packs on the borders of the Alpha female's territory, prey is often lost as it escapes into areas where there are no wolves. Wolf packs flush out and drive prey back and forth between territories, so an unoccupied adjacent territory represents potential loss of food.

The above claims suprised me. If memory serves, Shaun Ellis lived with wolves or used to live with wolves, I can't believe he ended up discovering things you would never think about. I do question his accuracy even though he's a renowed scientist. The claims are very strange, and don't even seem all that valid. And I should probably flog myself for saying that.

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Those are interesting behaviors. I know that mother wolves won't let the father of her pups into the den for the first few weeks because instinct tells her that there is a possibility that he will eat the pups. This surprises me, yet it is understandable, wolves do have a hard time finding food around the winter and spring.
................... ᴘᴏɪsᴏɴ ɪᴠʏ
......=====================
....ᴍᴀᴍᴍᴀʟs, ᴀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴏғ ʀᴇᴄᴋᴏɴɪɴɢ ɪs ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ.
..ᴛʜᴀᴛs ʀɪɢʜᴛ, ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴛs ᴀɴᴅ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs
...ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴀᴡ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄʀᴀᴡʟ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀɪᴍᴏʀᴅɪᴀʟ
....sᴏᴜᴘ ᴡɪʟʟ ʀᴇᴄʟᴀɪᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴇᴛ. ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ
...'......ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴏᴛᴇᴄᴛ ʏᴏᴜ.
.............'..'..sɪɢ ᴜɴʟᴜᴄᴋʏ ¹³

BloodRose_2

Post by BloodRose_2 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:32 am

I like wolves because they're like me in someways... They're moody and misterious, kind but aggressive to strangers, and live in a higherarchy! I also like them because they're beautiful creatures who are horribly misunderstood most of the time. i like justice so i like wolves too!

rocky1
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by rocky1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 pm

my dog gives us hi fives can wolves do that to :?:
SOCCER ROCKS ;}

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Why not? Dogs can do it because we teach them how. Why can't a wolf be trained the same way. The only problem is that wild wolves are feral; you couldn't train a wild wolf. Even a captive wolf still has the instincts of a wild one. So, most likely not, unless you have a purely gentle and non-violent wolf.
................... ᴘᴏɪsᴏɴ ɪᴠʏ
....ᴍᴀᴍᴍᴀʟs, ᴀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴏғ ʀᴇᴄᴋᴏɴɪɴɢ ɪs ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ.
..ᴛʜᴀᴛs ʀɪɢʜᴛ, ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴛs ᴀɴᴅ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs
...ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴀᴡ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄʀᴀᴡʟ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀɪᴍᴏʀᴅɪᴀʟ
....sᴏᴜᴘ ᴡɪʟʟ ʀᴇᴄʟᴀɪᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴇᴛ. ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ
...'......ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴏᴛᴇᴄᴛ ʏᴏᴜ.
.............'..'..sɪɢ ᴜɴʟᴜᴄᴋʏ ¹³

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:31 pm

I inadvertently trained Kiowa, a captive female wolf, how to shake.

I love wolf paws. ^^" So I'd often hold out my hand and gently take hold of her paw so I could just hold it while petting her. Eventually, she learned that when I stuck my hand out, her paw would end up in my hand, so after a while she just started lifting up her paw and putting it in my hand whenever I stuck my hand out.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

FeatherTail4
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by FeatherTail4 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:19 am

I like wolves because they're misterious and aloof. They take me by suprise. I like them because they are smart, kind, and aggressive to the unknown. i like them because they live in such a civilzed manor. what i mean is that, they have a higherarchy, a way of protection, a lowest member, like the human of the animal kingdom.
FeatherTail

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:47 am

Canidae wrote:I inadvertently trained Kiowa, a captive female wolf, how to shake.

I love wolf paws. ^^" So I'd often hold out my hand and gently take hold of her paw so I could just hold it while petting her. Eventually, she learned that when I stuck my hand out, her paw would end up in my hand, so after a while she just started lifting up her paw and putting it in my hand whenever I stuck my hand out.
Sounds interesting Canidae, and very cool! Is Kiowa a purebred wolf? She sounds so docile.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:54 am

That sounds cute Canidae. ^^
I have never touched a wolf before, but maybe one day I might. Unfortunately, I don't like anywhere really near wolves, besides the Toronto Zoo. I do like seeing their gray wolves ever since they got a new exhibit. I haven't been there for a while, but it's part of the curriculum for Science to go to the zoo, so hopefully next year i'll be going.^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~