Wolf Chat

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Jeames » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:24 am

LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:
CakeWolfy wrote:Yeah, that would definitely make life easier. Another wolf topic I find interesting, is their hierarchy. I was quite surprised that wolf packs really are just one big family, whereas dogs (their domestic counterpart) live in packs with Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas, Subordinates, and Omegas, it's quite interesting that domestic animals have a stricter hierarchy but wild ones don't.
This is quite true, domestic dogs do seem to have stricter hierarchy's than that of the wolf. As wolves are just a breeding pair and offspring with maybe a few non-related ones and Domestic Dogs are generally not related to each other.
I've actually never looked at it that way. Or at least, I've never really seen it before. I have only one dog and we've recently moved into a home with two other dogs (older dog passed away not long ago). I've seen a few signs, the younger dog was certainly more dominant than the older dog but now with my dog here, she's submissive.
It's actually kind of strange. But oh well.

I still think wolves have a way more interesting hierarchy, though.
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:58 am

Dogs kept together generally are not family. So the stricter hierarchy occurs. Wolf packs generally are family so there's very little hierarchy. The same behavior was observed in wolf packs made of non-family members in zoos and sanctuaries.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

cutepuppy4
Pup
Pup

Post by cutepuppy4 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:09 pm

bump I like the game alot

Edit
Skybreaker wrote:Dogs kept together generally are not family. So the stricter hierarchy occurs. Wolf packs generally are family so there's very little hierarchy. The same behavior was observed in wolf packs made of non-family members in zoos and sanctuaries.
I like dogs to lol
Last edited by valkea on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding info from double post
]the clan is calling
make a cat
join us today
http://lavaclan-warriors.boards.net/

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Please do not double post, cutepuppy4. If you have something to add, edit your previous post instead.
Additionally, please stay on topic. This thread is for discussing actual wolves, not dogs or the WolfQuest game.
...not much point in "bumping" it either. It's stickied. It's not going anywhere.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:38 am

I'm just wondering, the return of wolves to America I know was a big thing but about the ones in California/North Carolina (not sure which) what do you think will happen there? Just curious because I've heard a lot of stories about what might be happening.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:31 am

LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I'm just wondering, the return of wolves to America I know was a big thing but about the ones in California/North Carolina (not sure which) what do you think will happen there? Just curious because I've heard a lot of stories about what might be happening.
There's a big difference between the return of wolves in California versus North Carolina.
In North Carolina, the red wolf recovery program has been going on for awhile. From what I last heard, the program is now suspended, and no more wolves will be released because of the suspension. Keep in mind red wolves have a high amount of coyote in them (75%), and the general public doesn't really considered coyotes to be wolves (unlike other species they consider to be "wolves"). Either way, what was once the red wolf is no longer what we have today, that's for sure.

With regards to California, wolves have only recently "appeared" within California, with OR7 being one of the first in years, to my knowledge. Then there's this:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/0 ... fZoppflZZe

Oregon is north from California, so I wouldn't be surprised if the wolves traveled down from there and settled; OR7 came to California, but left and returned to Oregon. He now has a pack of his own.

Jeames

Post by Jeames » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:29 am

Koa wrote:There's a big difference between the return of wolves in California versus North Carolina.
In North Carolina, the red wolf recovery program has been going on for awhile. From what I last heard, the program is now suspended, and no more wolves will be released because of the suspension. Keep in mind red wolves have a high amount of coyote in them (75%), and the general public doesn't really considered coyotes to be wolves (unlike other species they consider to be "wolves"). Either way, what was once the red wolf is no longer what we have today, that's for sure.
Oh, so you're saying a lot of red wolves have genes from coyotes? So technically red wolves aren't really red wolves anymore?
Or are there till some pure bred red wolves left in the world?
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Semper Solus wrote:
Koa wrote:There's a big difference between the return of wolves in California versus North Carolina.
Oh, so you're saying a lot of red wolves have genes from coyotes? So technically red wolves aren't really red wolves anymore?
Or are there till some pure bred red wolves left in the world?
* It is important to note that red wolf is high in coyote ancestry (roughly 75%) and is a coyote-wolf hybrid, with whatever "distinction" it had once as a "unique" wolf essentially diluted and gone. See: A genome-wide perspective on the evolutionary history of enigmatic wolf-like canids
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

Red wolves aren't what they once were, and so, in a very basic sense, there are no "pure" red wolves.

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:13 am

Koa wrote: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

Red wolves aren't what they once were, and so, in a very basic sense, there are no "pure" red wolves.
That's a shame...
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile picture by Kyse (TheInfinite) (Humphrey from Alpha and Omega)
If I don't post in colour, it means I'm on mobile... just sayin'

Jeames

Post by Jeames » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:20 am

Oh, that's indeed a shame.
But I guess nothing can be done about it anymore, if there are no pure red wolves left in this world.
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:37 am

Science is a wonderful thing. Maybe a DNA cell of a dead pure red wolf could be cloned?
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 am

Cloning (as of right now) would be a horrible idea because of how many genetic issues clones tend to have. Cloned animals don't live very long. It would be a short term fix, not very long term until we have the technology to do it.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:19 am

Let's just hope that science can advance fast enough for us to recover some extinct species.
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 am

DHumphrey wrote:
Koa wrote: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

That's a shame...
Aww, that's sad.....

Regarding the story about OR7, that's quite interesting. And maybe, considering the whole deal with Oregon being just north of California, maybe more wolves will start moving south and settling in California, we may never know, animals come and go. I did once watch a documentary about these people that started a wolf pack in a place where wolves were long gone, but they eventually moved the pack somewhere else and the pack eventually died out. But the interesting part was that when the people decided to visit the place where they first started their wolf pack for the first time in a few years I think it was, the found wolf tracks, which showed evidence that for the first time in years (in the documentary it said something around 50 years), wild wolves were living in that area. So I have hope that wolves will eventually populate areas where they used to be but are no longer living in.

wolfadore
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfadore » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:03 am

Canidae wrote:I'm sure a lot of you know what happens to some dogs when you scratch them right on the arch of their back, right? Sometimes they get chills, and/or their rear legs will tremble, and/or the muscles in the entire back portion of their body will tense up and they'll kinda fall over a bit.

But did you know this works on wolves, too? xD I've seen it done to two different wolves. I've done it to Shadow, an older wolf I worked with. And one time at a wolf sanctuary, they brought out a very habituated captive wolf named Forest, and my dad did it to him. xD It made everybody in the crowd laugh--nobody had ever seen a wolf display that silly behavior before.
huh. I never have seen that behavior in my dogs before! I will have to try it. I think it is probably because that is the spot where they can't see and are more vulnerable.