Wolf Chat

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Zethra

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Zethra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:56 am

Canidae wrote:I inadvertently trained Kiowa, a captive female wolf, how to shake.

I love wolf paws. ^^" So I'd often hold out my hand and gently take hold of her paw so I could just hold it while petting her. Eventually, she learned that when I stuck my hand out, her paw would end up in my hand, so after a while she just started lifting up her paw and putting it in my hand whenever I stuck my hand out.

Well that's interesting; teaching a wolf how to shake hands/paws.
Eventually after doing something so many times, an animal would get use to it and find that's what you want them to do. But, ti's still interesting.

I like wolf paws to, I don't know why, but I also like animal footprints.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:52 am

Canidae wrote:I inadvertently trained Kiowa, a captive female wolf, how to shake.

I love wolf paws. ^^" So I'd often hold out my hand and gently take hold of her paw so I could just hold it while petting her. Eventually, she learned that when I stuck my hand out, her paw would end up in my hand, so after a while she just started lifting up her paw and putting it in my hand whenever I stuck my hand out.
Thats pretty cool, Canidae! Kiowa sounds like quite a timid wolf ^^

I quite like wolf paws as well, though thats probably because they remind me a lot of domestic dog paws. Like Zethra, I do like the prints of animals, which is another reason why I quite like wolf paws.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Silverness wrote:

Sounds interesting Canidae, and very cool! Is Kiowa a purebred wolf? She sounds so docile.

Yes she's a purebred, but she's also very docile. She's got the sweetest personality of any wolf I've ever seen.

And actually, I think it would be much easier to train a wolf than it would be to train most dogs. xD They're a lot smarter.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Wow, it's so amazing that you have a chance to get up close and personal with wolves like Kiowa.

For her to learn how to shake your hand by accident is proof of how smart wolves are, in a sense.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:52 am

Footprints are great! You can tell so much about an animal by its footprints.

I actually wanted to compare my dog's footprint to that of a wolf (I have a basset hound, and he has big feet), so I used Model Magic clay (it's spendy, but really cool) and put his paw on it and made a few impressions of his foot. I'm not as lucky as Canidae in being able to actually touch the wolves and their feet here at the zoo, but we have a 3-d wolf track that I've used for programs and I was going to compare shape, size, whether the nails/toes are turned in or out, etc. Haven't done it yet, but I'm interested in seeing the actual difference.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 am

Aye. I've always been interested in dog/wolf paws as well. I just find them...so cool and interesting. Like: something that small could support that weight plus propel them forward at a fast speed.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Titanic 2
Pup
Pup

Post by Titanic 2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:44 pm

I went on this website on the day i posted a topic called: Coyote Hunter Bags Wolf In Ohio,and i went down saw a comment and in it, it said said something about wolves heading toward the east.
Any way, i like wolves because they have puppies!!! XD
Hissing Cat avatar by- LupinzPack
The person who needs a signature by- Titanic 2

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 am

i love wolves! but sad the lost wolf is killed 150 years ago, here where i live :cry: but...

THEY COME BACK! :mrgreen:

wolves are the most beautyfull animals. i like to hear there howls and i love it. i hope to see one day a wild wolf walking trough the forest.
☀ "Beттer тo Lιɢнт oɴe cαɴdle, тнαɴ Cυrѕe тнe Dαrĸɴeѕѕ" ★

Aleu254
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Somewhere or maybe no where, try again later something might pop up.

Post by Aleu254 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I love the Gray wolf..

Red wolves are very very close to coyotes.
Life is hard, only you make it harder.
Everyone dies , only a few people really live.

Stone-Dust2
Pup
Pup

Post by Stone-Dust2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Canidae wrote:I'm sure a lot of you know what happens to some dogs when you scratch them right on the arch of their back, right? Sometimes they get chills, and/or their rear legs will tremble, and/or the muscles in the entire back portion of their body will tense up and they'll kinda fall over a bit.

But did you know this works on wolves, too? xD I've seen it done to two different wolves. I've done it to Shadow, an older wolf I worked with. And one time at a wolf sanctuary, they brought out a very habituated captive wolf named Forest, and my dad did it to him. xD It made everybody in the crowd laugh--nobody had ever seen a wolf display that silly behavior before.
Cute! I've always liked dogs and wolves, even though I'm a cat person. It would be cool to actually see a wolf in the wild but, it wouldn't be smart if your in their home... still, though.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:57 pm

That's neat Cana. =3
I have a boeroel, a massive breed of dog. I'd like to try to compare her pawprint with a wolf's print, but I don't really have a wolf's paw to compare it to. xD
I'm sure I can look around the Internet to find one.
Wolf paws are pretty neat, i've never seen the pads of one up close, but I have seen some grey wolf paws at the zoo.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Alpha Female wrote:That's neat Cana. =3
I have a boeroel, a massive breed of dog. I'd like to try to compare her pawprint with a wolf's print, but I don't really have a wolf's paw to compare it to. xD
I'm sure I can look around the Internet to find one.
Wolf paws are pretty neat, i've never seen the pads of one up close, but I have seen some grey wolf paws at the zoo.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7434/pawv.png

Paw. =D

That's the best picture I have of one. That wolf was 13 years old at the time, so his paw might look a little...old. xD

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks Canidae. =D
That's a very nice picture you took there.^^
I'll have to now get a picture of my dog's paw, preferably when she's sleeping or lying down. It will be interesting to see the similarities or differences between them.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Jacob-Black-Wolf

Post by Jacob-Black-Wolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Everyone, I have terrible news. You know that legendary black wolf, Romeo? There is terrible news from the north. He is dead. He was shot by a hunter... I feel terrible for those who favor him, as I did. What is more terrible is that he was a good wolf. He would walk with those who visited, and would never attack them. I am completely against hunting, and respond if you are as well.

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Jacob-Black-Wolf wrote:Everyone, I have terrible news. You know that legendary black wolf, Romeo? There is terrible news from the north. He is dead. He was shot by a hunter... I feel terrible for those who favor him, as I did. What is more terrible is that he was a good wolf. He would walk with those who visited, and would never attack them. I am completely against hunting, and respond if you are as well.

That event happened a long time ago, but thanks for posting anyway. x.x