All About Wolfdogs: Info & Guide

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: All About Wolfdogs: Info & Guide

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed May 30, 2018 12:44 am

alethe wrote:oh my god, so wolfdog updates
The photo she showed was white and extremely bad, the puppy is a high content. It had to be admitted to the clinic today because it ate some rocks
I feel so bad for it. She obviously has no idea what she’s doing, has gotten herself in over her head. The dog is going to end up dead. :/

edit: it got worse. turns out, the dog in the photo was not the dog she had today, the one in the photo died. the breeder gave her a new one for free. this one is "95% wolf." it looks to be 50% at most, but im fairly sure there's wolf in it. secondly, i kinda decided to poke her brain a bit for knowledge, and i asked her about containment. she said that the dog, at the moment, lives in the wine cellar, and when it gets older she's going to crate it while she's away from the house.

all kinds of bad :/
Oh dear. Those poor dogs. :(
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
The photo she showed was white and extremely bad, the puppy is a high content. It had to be admitted to the clinic today because it ate some rocks
I feel so bad for it. She obviously has no idea what she’s doing, has gotten herself in over her head. The dog is going to end up dead. :/

edit: it got worse. turns out, the dog in the photo was not the dog she had today, the one in the photo died. the breeder gave her a new one for free. this one is "95% wolf." it looks to be 50% at most, but im fairly sure there's wolf in it. secondly, i kinda decided to poke her brain a bit for knowledge, and i asked her about containment. she said that the dog, at the moment, lives in the wine cellar, and when it gets older she's going to crate it while she's away from the house.

Oh dear. Those poor dogs. :(
This is exactly why I'm an advocate for education, yikes. There can be a time and place for keeping wolfdogs, but that's best left up to people who actually know what they're doing...
Poor dogs...
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 am

HEY YALL IT GETS WORSE
the wolfdog came in to the clinic today, again, this time with upper respiratory issues. vet thinks its distemper. which probably came from the breeder.

i feel so horrible for this poor dog. especially when, if you really want a wolfdog in texas, there are soo many in wolfdog rescues/shelters that need foster homes. of course, i doubt she would meet their extensive adoption requirements, which might be why she went to a sketchy breeder in the first place.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu May 31, 2018 10:59 am

This is like the pet equivalent to people who can't afford to get tattoos at a professional shop, and go to someone's basement to get cheap work while risking infection and disease. Except here the animals get the brunt of the bad decision.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu May 31, 2018 11:13 am

What? Did she mention how the old one died? This is so sketchy.
alethe wrote:HEY YALL IT GETS WORSE
the wolfdog came in to the clinic today, again, this time with upper respiratory issues. vet thinks its distemper. which probably came from the breeder.

i feel so horrible for this poor dog. especially when, if you really want a wolfdog in texas, there are soo many in wolfdog rescues/shelters that need foster homes. of course, i doubt she would meet their extensive adoption requirements, which might be why she went to a sketchy breeder in the first place.
Honestly, she just needs to give the dog up to a sanctuary with the above in mind. I wouldn't even give the dog back to the breeder.

alethe

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 pm

mhm, for sure. Sending it back to the breeder is a death sentence. But at this point I’m not sure how well the puppy will do. It wasn’t looking good when I left for lunch. I’m about to go back in.

Edit: the puppy didn’t make it. It was distemper, probably not vaccinated by the breeder or my coworker. She claims the breeder is reputable and sells to zoos and such, but what AZA accreted zoo would BUY an animal? Still sketchy to me.

edit (2): bumping this bc i have a legit question attached to this stupid story but hoo boy its gonna get worse

so she got a THIRD wolfdog. this one is black -- and she also claims is 95% wolf. i was wondering if high-content wolfdog puppies could be black? other than that it looks and feels like a wolf pup.

yeah i say feels because i was talking to her in the lobby and she just ??? hands me the puppy ??? without asking??? and i hold him like "oh look at this cute thing" but in the inside i was debating how bad the chemical burns would be if i doused myself in parvoclear in the back directly after.
which i did
but it was diluted so heyo. no burns here but anyway.

yeah, i was wondering if wolf/high-content puppies could be black? i was under the impression that all wolf puppies were a shade of brown.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:41 pm

alethe wrote:mhm, for sure. Sending it back to the breeder is a death sentence. But at this point I’m not sure how well the puppy will do. It wasn’t looking good when I left for lunch. I’m about to go back in.

Edit: the puppy didn’t make it. It was distemper, probably not vaccinated by the breeder or my coworker. She claims the breeder is reputable and sells to zoos and such, but what AZA accreted zoo would BUY an animal? Still sketchy to me.

edit (2): bumping this bc i have a legit question attached to this stupid story but hoo boy its gonna get worse

so she got a THIRD wolfdog. this one is black -- and she also claims is 95% wolf. i was wondering if high-content wolfdog puppies could be black? other than that it looks and feels like a wolf pup.

yeah i say feels because i was talking to her in the lobby and she just ??? hands me the puppy ??? without asking??? and i hold him like "oh look at this cute thing" but in the inside i was debating how bad the chemical burns would be if i doused myself in parvoclear in the back directly after.
which i did
but it was diluted so heyo. no burns here but anyway.

yeah, i was wondering if wolf/high-content puppies could be black? i was under the impression that all wolf puppies were a shade of brown.
Luna from IWC was pretty dark and almost black. Did you see any stark markings? That would be a telltale sign that the pup is mid or low content.

alethe

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 pm

nope, pure black
i know that the adults can be, but i was wondering if the puppies would display the same trait or if they would be brown and darken with age, like the while wolves will (in reverse).

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 pm

alethe wrote:nope, pure black
i know that the adults can be, but i was wondering if the puppies would display the same trait or if they would be brown and darken with age, like the while wolves will (in reverse).
Yeah, if it wasn’t a brown-black like Luna here below and more of a pure blue-black or black, I’d say that’s questionable. Wolf pups will obtain their true adult markings later on. I don’t know about them darkening more as they age exactly outside of the aforementioned context. Dark adult wolves as they age will yes, turn white.

alethe

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:52 pm

yeah, i wasn't paying too close attention but i think it looked relatively similar, maybe a touch darker. but it felt like a wolf, thick, rough coat, had the dark blue eyes the pups have, etc. that probably doesnt say too much since im fairly sure you can get the same if you mix a few dogs together.

im curious as to how this one will age

if it doesnt get sick like the other two first :/

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm

IDK much about coat colors in wolfdogs. But black is a genetically dominant coat color in dogs, so maybe it's possible it's high content?
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:35 am

I just saw the pup that died via Discord and that one definitely looked like a wolf or very high content wolfdog. Assuming the black pup, especially if it looked like Luna, would fall under the same category.

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:27 am

This is why education should be promoted before possessing a wild animal -- you can't just own an animal without taking the time to prepare yourself. A little effort can go a long way, and it seems the lack of time she took to learn was evident.These days, it seems as though people will do anything just to boost their ego.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:21 am

This is a ton of info! thanks for sharing this!
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:29 pm

I've been thinking of possibly having a high-content wolfdog someday. It's not to boost my ego or anything like that. It's more like to enjoy my life with a beautiful wild creature by my side. I've been even thinking about having a wolfdog as an ambassador, not only for wolf education but also for wolfdog education—because that subject itself is largely unknown to many people. I think the more people know about wolfdogs and the specifics, they will make smarter decisions, and that knowledge might also transfer over to the dog world. "Can I afford to give this animal the best life possible?"
I don't have much experience with wolves, or wolfdogs, because of my age and also because of where I live. But I'm thinking about volunteering or at least visiting a wolf/wolfdog sanctuary. I'm still leaning a lot, and I've put in hours of research into wolfdogs, but nothing beats having hands-on experience.

If anybody works with a sanctuary, goes wolf watching, knows somebody who has a wolfdog, or even if you have a wolfdog yourself, I would love to hear your experiences. ^_^
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾