All About Wolfdogs: Info & Guide

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: All About Wolfdogs: Info & Guide

Post by alethe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:54 am

Nakajii wrote:I believe that wolves and wolf-dogs are the type of animal that shouldn't be somebody's pet. Dogs have been bred down for thousands of years to get to the point where they are now. Wolves are wild animals, not something to show off to your friends, only to get rid of them when they start becoming trouble. Wolves and wolf-dogs for educational purposes? Yes. As your lap-dog? The laborador you saw at the shelter will do a better job at that.
In agreement. Besides, there are tons of dogs at shelters that need homes. If your wolfdog gets out and is sent to a shelter, they'll be required by law to put it down, too.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

-Wolf Ghost-
Pup
Pup

Post by -Wolf Ghost- » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Wow, what a very complete Info you made there! I searched for wolfdogs years ago, and I found a lot of documentaries about genetics and stuff. But it wasn't as complete as your guide here. Nice job and thanks for it!
Ƭħϵrϵ iƨ nѳ Ƒϵar ѳf tħϵ Ѥxpϵriϵƞcϵ. Ɲѳtħiƞġ iƨ Ƭяuϵ. Ѥvϵяytħiƞġ iƨ Ƥϵяmittϵd .
“This is the day that you’ll always remember as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow”
“I am. But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name.”

Kiba009
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kiba009 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:49 am

Wolf-dogs are pretty dangerous. Not all of them but they can be aggressive. But it's not their fault. The problem is in us. Because this wolf-dog animal is just confused who he really is. Am I a dog? A wolf? They are even bigger than normal wolves. There was a huge problem with these hybrids in the past, I think it was somewhere in Asia.

alethe

Post by alethe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:38 am

There is a problem with them now, and its that people want them.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

victortiti89
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by victortiti89 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm not an expert on this, but I think that you shouldn't keep animals that belong to a more natural setting into a backyard.

They might look dangerous, but I think guard dogs are perfectly capable of handling the task of defending you...

I remember an experience I won't easily forget: I walked by chance next to a mansion and I could see through the fence.

The pittbull came closer. It didn't bark. All dogs bark if you get close to their homes. But not this dog. It just stood there, fully aware of its power.

Words can scarcely describe the whole experience. I walked my own way, leaving the house behind.

Proof you don't need a wolf pet to look "cool" to others, or to scare off intruders.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Medivah wrote:TL;DR

I read about 4 paragraphs :)
Please don't post if the content you are posting is not relevant or does not add anything to the discussion; otherwise, it's viewed as SPAM.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm

victortiti89 wrote:I'm not an expert on this, but I think that you shouldn't keep animals that belong to a more natural setting into a backyard.

They might look dangerous, but I think guard dogs are perfectly capable of handling the task of defending you...

I remember an experience I won't easily forget: I walked by chance next to a mansion and I could see through the fence.

The pittbull came closer. It didn't bark. All dogs bark if you get close to their homes. But not this dog. It just stood there, fully aware of its power.

Words can scarcely describe the whole experience. I walked my own way, leaving the house behind.

Proof you don't need a wolf pet to look "cool" to others, or to scare off intruders.

To add to this: wolfdogs make terrible guard dogs. I've volunteered previously at a wolfdog rescue, and we had several incidents of people abandoning wolfdogs to us or using us to rehome them after purchasing them for guard animals. Wolfdogs of mid to high content share pure wolves natural fear of humans and are very skittish. They're more likely to hide from an intruder than to approach.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

TheOnlyTherian
Pup
Pup
Name: Rimah

Post by TheOnlyTherian » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:05 pm

My theriotype is a wolfdog!
I'm a mid/high content, 70-80% but I usually like to call myself high content.
*~Wolf-Dog Therian~*
*~Myers Weapon~*
*~*
Playing WolfQuest since 2010 or 2011

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 am

TheOnlyTherian wrote:My theriotype is a wolfdog!
I'm a mid/high content, 70-80% but I usually like to call myself high content.
Please discuss theriotypes on the thread below. This thread is for educational discussion about wolfdog only.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... n#p2441121

alethe

Post by alethe » Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 pm

oh man. i have a headache. anyone up for a funny/sad story?

we had a company meeting today at work and one of my coworkers wanted us to see her new puppy. she shows us this beautiful white gsd puppy, then claims its "75% wolf." woah wait hold the phone. i just. whenever i'm about to tell someone off i cannot get my words right, so i could easily formulate a better argument, but the puppy was definitely not a wolf. and certainly not anything that would be classified as high content. i kinda tried to tell her this, but got shut down by "oh it was from a ~*licensed breeder*~ and I have the paperwork."

high content wolfdogs aren't born white.

i let her win this one, because my boss was about to come back and i didn't want her to see us arguing, and frankly i wasn't gonna win anyway. i feel so bad for that dog if anything happens and it gets loose and bites someone. instantly has to be put down regardless of shots or not :/ i don't understand why anyone has to add the "its a wolf" or whatnot when they share their beautiful dogs -- its dangerous for the animal and feels childish to me.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat May 12, 2018 2:50 pm

alethe wrote:oh man. i have a headache. anyone up for a funny/sad story?

we had a company meeting today at work and one of my coworkers wanted us to see her new puppy. she shows us this beautiful white gsd puppy, then claims its "75% wolf." woah wait hold the phone. i just. whenever i'm about to tell someone off i cannot get my words right, so i could easily formulate a better argument, but the puppy was definitely not a wolf. and certainly not anything that would be classified as high content. i kinda tried to tell her this, but got shut down by "oh it was from a ~*licensed breeder*~ and I have the paperwork."

high content wolfdogs aren't born white.

i let her win this one, because my boss was about to come back and i didn't want her to see us arguing, and frankly i wasn't gonna win anyway. i feel so bad for that dog if anything happens and it gets loose and bites someone. instantly has to be put down regardless of shots or not :/ i don't understand why anyone has to add the "its a wolf" or whatnot when they share their beautiful dogs -- its dangerous for the animal and feels childish to me.
What a shame. The dog will end up dead.

alethe

Post by alethe » Sat May 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Mhm. Even if it doesn't get loose and bite anyone, there's always a possibility that their neighbors won't like it and will take action against the dog somehow, especially if she's in a more rural area. not to mention, since she probably got it from a sketchy breeder, the health issues the dog probably has.

and if it turns out to be low content, it might also be more than she can handle, might get out anyway, attack, or anything else. if its more than she can handle it could end up dead simply because she doesn't know the proper care for it, or end up rehomed in sanctuaries that are already overflowing with exotic "pets."

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat May 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Assuming she didn't just lie to you guys just to impress you :P . That paperwork might not even exist for all we know.

I say this because I have a friend who insisted her brother's lab mutt was "part wolf" (no chance based on its appearance). I just let it go--some conversations just aren't worth having! I think "part wolf" dogs can be status symbols just like bully breeds can be. That's why people do it.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat May 19, 2018 12:58 am

My German Shepherd's breeder, who breeds and trains dogs for the police and military, had owned a wolf-dog in the past. She did all she could to give him the best life, but in the end he was practically untrainable, unpredictable and dangerous. For the safety of the rest of her dogs, she had him euthanized.

So if that doesn't speak volumes against wolfdog ownership, I don''t know what does.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

alethe

Post by alethe » Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 am

oh my god, so wolfdog updates
The photo she showed was white and extremely bad, the puppy is a high content. It had to be admitted to the clinic today because it ate some rocks
I feel so bad for it. She obviously has no idea what she’s doing, has gotten herself in over her head. The dog is going to end up dead. :/

edit: it got worse. turns out, the dog in the photo was not the dog she had today, the one in the photo died. the breeder gave her a new one for free. this one is "95% wolf." it looks to be 50% at most, but im fairly sure there's wolf in it. secondly, i kinda decided to poke her brain a bit for knowledge, and i asked her about containment. she said that the dog, at the moment, lives in the wine cellar, and when it gets older she's going to crate it while she's away from the house.

all kinds of bad :/

ARE YOU A JEDI ?