Would You Want to be a Real Wolf?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Would You want to be a real wolf?

Yes!
63%
No
18%
Maybe
15%
I dont know..
4%

Total votes: 247

Legendsszz
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Would You Want to be a Real Wolf?

Post by Legendsszz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Yep. Also, wolves have to deal with the growing human population and the gradual shrinking of their territory. People hunt wolves, and if you chose to be in 'wolf form' one fateful day when a human poacher was out in a helicopter with his gun, aiming to take out a couple packs that day... yeah. People kill wolves, and I have no clue why. They say "Wolves must be controlled. If they overpopulate, then they'd wipe out the elk, and -"

-_-
It's been found ecosystems are far more healthier with wolves than without them.

Sometimes it surprises me that we're supposed to be the smartest species on earth.

Even the animals that seem the most unlikely to be affected can suffer from the change. No wolves = elk/deer populations rocketing = scarcity of plants = starved elk/deer and loss of shade = basically, you've got yourself one damaged ecosystem.

After thinking, I do not want to be a wolf. Disease, fatal hunting trips, starvation, neighboring packs, poachers/humans, shrinking territory, and many other things. Nope.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:16 am

Legendsszz wrote:Yep. Also, wolves have to deal with the growing human population and the gradual shrinking of their territory. People hunt wolves, and if you chose to be in 'wolf form' one fateful day when a human poacher was out in a helicopter with his gun, aiming to take out a couple packs that day... yeah. People kill wolves, and I have no clue why. They say "Wolves must be controlled. If they overpopulate, then they'd wipe out the elk, and -"

-_-
It's been found ecosystems are far more healthier with wolves than without them.

Sometimes it surprises me that we're supposed to be the smartest species on earth.

Even the animals that seem the most unlikely to be affected can suffer from the change. No wolves = elk/deer populations rocketing = scarcity of plants = starved elk/deer and loss of shade = basically, you've got yourself one damaged ecosystem.

After thinking, I do not want to be a wolf. Disease, fatal hunting trips, starvation, neighboring packs, poachers/humans, shrinking territory, and many other things. Nope.
David Mech's comments on wolves "saving" Yellowstone
The Demise of Yellowstone - A Lupine caused extinction

There are about 60,000 and 9,000 wolves in Canada and the United States alone (more population statistics here: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625). Gray wolves in North America (with the exception of the Mexican gray wolf) are perfectly fine and can afford to be hunted-- no, not poached. Poaching isn't really an issue for wolves. Hunters legally kill wolves every year, depending on the state in the United States and when/where the hunting of wolves is permitted. Are there exceptions? Yes. Are the aforementioned wolves threatened by poaching in North America? No.

And yes-- there are subspecies of the gray wolf outside of America that may be subject to various threats. But as a whole, the gray wolf is doing remarkably well as a species around the world. Are there legitimate concerns with certain subspecies? I'd say so. But really, I think the wolf is lucky; it has been fortune enough to receive mass amounts of public attention in yes, a positive light (as I would argue the famed "wolves are evil" mindset has died down and instead has been replaced by an overzealous, excessive need to purge said mindset). Many, many other animals species have not been so fortunate. We tend to romanticize the wolf, but we often forget about the more needy creatures that we are so close to losing. And these creatures-- unlike the wolf-- may not be as fortune to have multiple subspecies that populate the vast expanse of the globe.

Legendsszz
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Legendsszz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:26 pm

Not really my point, but yeah, you're right.

My only argument is that wolves can afford to be, well, in your term, hunted, but they shouldn't be. True, there are many animals out there that could definitely do with some help - but I doubt they'd need it if no one had interfered in the first place.

Not only that, though. Wolves may afford to be hunted, but what are people doing with the bodies? Trophies. Even selfies where they're holding up the wolf and smiling. It's pretty disgusting.
That's one reason they're hunted, but another is for these supposed deaths of livestock. I can't say wolves are innocent - of course not, but other animals kill livestock far more often, in greater numbers. And to retaliate, some people kill any wolf on sight. Or hunt them out. Either way, there's a simple cause: either the wolves have discovered slower, easier prey is, well, easier - or people hunt elk and other wolf prey too much and the wolves must survive on other foods... the livestock.

Well... getting to the point, being a wolf near wolf-hating humans wouldn't be great.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:14 am

Yeah, I'd want to be a real wolf. Just in a nice place far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from humans, pollution, and stuff like that. As long as there are no such threats, I'd want to be a wolf.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:29 am

I totally agree with Cakewolfie, if that was the case I would be a wolf as well.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Yeah, i'd want to, but also not.
But for the most part, i would like to be a real wolf.
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

Eolffo
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Eolffo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:39 pm

well, Wolves don't live as long as humans, but if they did and were as intelligent, I would

SiragussWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SiragussWolf » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:18 am

Yes, I realy want, and I can't remember how many times I dreamed it...
I mean, wolves are cool! They may not be perfect, but... Cool!

Azuline
Pup
Pup
Name: Toby

Post by Azuline » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Yeah why not? It sounds like it would be pretty fun!
It doesn't sound like an easy life by any means though, but it would be interesting to try it out.
"Blessed are the children of the Horned One."
:moose:

-S.J. Tucker

myskathewolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by myskathewolf » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:52 am

no, I would not want to be a real wolf. I like being human and admiring wolves. :D

LakotaTheOmega
Pup
Pup

Post by LakotaTheOmega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:59 am

Yes I would do anything to become a wolf.
M07PgE43Kk41NSRLI0cqQUo1JTVKWio3DQoNC

kIzR09OQCM3KiNPWSo3WSpaKjVKPc+AKk9A

Samber
Name: Akira

Post by Samber » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Maybe for couple of days..
But if it was a "forever decision" then no, because i have my own life, family and friends that i love.
─ are you calling me a sinner?
av©lupinz
x
X
X

not active anymore

Mikayla272727
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mikayla272727 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:42 pm

i would love to be a real wolf i had a dream of where im alpha of a pack with ginger fur and its my duty to protect all of them and defend mt town from other wolfs and creatures it would be so cool if i could turn into one

Larkey

Post by Larkey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:49 am

I agree with Samber—I would want to be one just to see what is was like, but only for a short period of time. The actual life of a wolf would probably be too difficult for me to live permanently.

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Uzumaaki » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm

I mean, I'd like to be able to shapeshift into a wolf at will...but I'd like to do that for pretty much any animal:P
Otherwise I like being a human too much
av by theinfinite