Wolf Internships

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfadore
Pup
Pup

Re: Wolf Internships

Post by wolfadore » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 am

Oh! It is so nice to know that my dream can come true! :)

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:37 am

I'm definitely not a college or university student yet, but this sounds like my line of work! You can also get a summer job at Yellowstone National Park, which I want to have as well.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

LakotaTheOmega
Pup
Pup

Post by LakotaTheOmega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:47 am

Definitely sounds like my thing, however I live in Australia
M07PgE43Kk41NSRLI0cqQUo1JTVKWio3DQoNC

kIzR09OQCM3KiNPWSo3WSpaKjVKPc+AKk9A

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:11 am

I would like to do an internship at a wolf center (or any exotic facility) but my major might not coincide with what they're looking for.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon May 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Skybreaker wrote:I would like to do an internship at a wolf center (or any exotic facility) but my major might not coincide with what they're looking for.
Since I've been looking at various internships, myself, I was worried my major (English) would not be relevant for the ones I was interested in. But even if your major doesn't apply "directly" to the internship you are interested in, you may still find a way to market yourself into said internship. Some internships are more versatile in this way than others. Internships with certain zoos offer media/press positions, for example, and invite English, biology, etc. majors to apply. For my major, internships of that kind would best fit me. You may not be working directly with animals or educating people about a specific animal, but you maybe still be able to intern in some kind of zoo/sanctuary/national park environment at the end of the day.

ArisenFlames
Name: Ari, Flames, Flame

Post by ArisenFlames » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Interesting stuff! Unfortunately although I am a university student my field of study is Clinical Psychology which has nothing to do with wildlife which requires environmental or biological fields. Furthermore the internships talk about research projects which are Honors level usually. Still, an interesting read. Thank you!

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Currently working as an Educator intern at the International Wolf Center for the summer! For the Educator internship, you help teach the public about wolves through daily programs (powerpoint presentations set up in the auditorium) as well as answering questions and leading tour groups. We also interpret any behaviors the ambassador wolves display for the guests, telling the guests why one of the wolves might be doing what they're doing at the time. It's a blast! I highly recommend it for anyone who might be interested in the future.

What your major is isn't really a huge factor. It can help, but what's really looked for is having some knowledge and passion about wolves and willing to teach about wolves. I was majoring in Wildlife Biology, but I changed my major to Literature and the Environment. I'm an English major now, so I'm in the minority out of the staff members who work here, but again, what you're majoring in isn't the forefront of what is looked for. Experience helps as well, which is one factor that helped me get the position, but you need to be willing to interact with the public and let that passion shine through. That's how you really sell yourself.
Also, during training week, you're briefed on wolf ecology and ethology (behaviors), and the Wolf Care staff help you if you have any questions. Dave Mech also gave us interns lectures over the course of two days during training week about wolf ecology and wolf management (I met Dave Mech...can cross that off the bucket list! :D).

I was also pleasantly surprised that the wolf center has WolfQuest set up on three computers for the kids and people in general to play. I've even seen parents play it!
And the tempest is raging,

it's caving-in the sky

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

Pegasos
Pup
Pup
Name: Maisa, Masaa

Post by Pegasos » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:26 am

Nice guide Pawnee. I love the idea working with wolves but that I live in Finland and such communities are scarce..and the wolf position is low.
av by LupinzPack

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Isela wrote:Currently working as an Educator intern at the International Wolf Center for the summer! For the Educator internship, you help teach the public about wolves through daily programs (powerpoint presentations set up in the auditorium) as well as answering questions and leading tour groups. We also interpret any behaviors the ambassador wolves display for the guests, telling the guests why one of the wolves might be doing what they're doing at the time. It's a blast! I highly recommend it for anyone who might be interested in the future.

What your major is isn't really a huge factor. It can help, but what's really looked for is having some knowledge and passion about wolves and willing to teach about wolves. I was majoring in Wildlife Biology, but I changed my major to Literature and the Environment. I'm an English major now, so I'm in the minority out of the staff members who work here, but again, what you're majoring in isn't the forefront of what is looked for. Experience helps as well, which is one factor that helped me get the position, but you need to be willing to interact with the public and let that passion shine through. That's how you really sell yourself.
Also, during training week, you're briefed on wolf ecology and ethology (behaviors), and the Wolf Care staff help you if you have any questions. Dave Mech also gave us interns lectures over the course of two days during training week about wolf ecology and wolf management (I met Dave Mech...can cross that off the bucket list! :D).

I was also pleasantly surprised that the wolf center has WolfQuest set up on three computers for the kids and people in general to play. I've even seen parents play it!
That's awesome to hear! I was looking into the same internship myself. Given that you've had such a great experience with it, I will look into applying again.

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Koa wrote:
Isela wrote:Currently working as an Educator intern at the International Wolf Center for the summer! For the Educator internship, you help teach the public about wolves through daily programs (powerpoint presentations set up in the auditorium) as well as answering questions and leading tour groups. We also interpret any behaviors the ambassador wolves display for the guests, telling the guests why one of the wolves might be doing what they're doing at the time. It's a blast! I highly recommend it for anyone who might be interested in the future.

That's awesome to hear! I was looking into the same internship myself. Given that you've had such a great experience with it, I will look into applying again.
Thank you! Yes, I highly recommend it! It's a great experience getting to educate the public about wolves and interpreting the behaviors of the ambassador wolves :]

it's caving-in the sky

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 pm

I would love to intern at the International Wolf Center. However, I really don't enjoy public speaking nor having photo/video taken of me (as would likely happen in that setting, accidentally or intentionally), so I'm afraid this couldn't be a possibility for me.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

TyraNoah
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by TyraNoah » Sat May 22, 2021 5:47 pm

I hope that some day i can work there,
right now it would be such a big challenge having in mind it's in Canada and am in France. :( :(

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:44 pm

I am currently interning at Wolf Park in Battleground, Indiana! It's been quite the adventure but overall I love it here!

Some of the things I do as an intern is help work the visitor's center, clean enclosures after they have been used, provide enrichment for the wolves, and more! We do get chances to go in with the wolves, foxes, and bison, but don't let that be your only focus as there are plenty of things to do here on a daily basis!

I have provided a link for anyone interested to learn more! :D I definitely suggest looking around the website to learn more about Wolf Park and what we're about!

https://wolfpark.org/support/internship/

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM!