Wolf Internships

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolf Internships

Post by Midnight Snow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:19 am

The information about Wolf Park's internship offer sounded interesting indeed. But I wonder, at what age would one be allowed to start internship, and which kind of education would benefit of such a project? And just to sound totally annoying and demanding, does anyone know anything about chances to get employment there after completing internship?

I've followed Wolf Park and its wolves somewhat, and have briefly spoken to Monty Sloan via email. It all sounds like a really great place.

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

Fawnir
Pup
Pup

Post by Fawnir » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 pm

From what I have learned it is very good that you can get a job there after an internship. When I went there there was a girl volunteering in her free time. I think that might be the first step. The tour guide who took us around the park started as an intern and then came to work there. She said that some of her experiences was talking to people, watching the wolves, and watching who bred with who. There were a few people there taking an internship. It helps if you have a degree of some kind in biology I am assuming.
Last edited by Fawnir on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o0o~Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month for Nov.~o0o
~**~*Avatar by April!~**~*
Proud Member and Scout of the Undine Falls Pack!!

LittleHokie19
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by LittleHokie19 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:15 pm

that took a long time to read because i kept on losing my place
There is a single wolf running from a poacher. It's not fast enough. Another wolf has died, is this how you want wolves to go extinct?

PROUD LONER WITH NO PACK

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:13 am

Most internships are for college level students, for liability reasons as well as the type of work involved.

I also want to mention that any captive breeding facility that houses wolves may also offer an intership/volunteer program. For example, at the Minnesota Zoo, interns that work on either the MN or the Norther Trek trail will work with the wolves in the collection. This does not mean you will have physical contact with them as facilities that house socialized wolves may offer, but you get a GREAT experience learning what is involved in caring for and managing the species-diet, care, vet exams, enrichment, housing, and public interaction/education about wolves and other canids.

Wolves are exciting but there are alot of other exciting species to work with as well...you shouldn't limit yourself in that opportunity. Many facilities that house wolves would encourage you to have a wide range of experiences with wildlife care and management.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:55 am

I am going to apply for an intership at a local zoo in my country next summer. They have a wolf pack, and from what I've heard they're taking into serious consideration offering their interns the opportunity to work with the animals the interns wish to interact with, so I will try and go for the wolves. My chances are quite poor, since I am still underage, but I am going to contact their management ASAP and apply for the intership.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Fawnir
Pup
Pup

Post by Fawnir » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:25 pm

There is a great website that deals with finding people jobs with animals. It is aza.org. You can find all types of jobs and internships near where you live. I suggest everyone check it out. I is always updated. I recently saw and internship with elephants so there is tons of different animals you can work with.
o0o~Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month for Nov.~o0o
~**~*Avatar by April!~**~*
Proud Member and Scout of the Undine Falls Pack!!

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm

GreenCabin.ca is also a great site in terms of volunteering and jobs for the outdoor minded. Though it slightly off topic...their WAS a call for wolf volunteers in Alberta back in january which featured researchers collecting wolf scat.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

memeresboy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: running,alone only guided by the moon searching for fire eternal.

Post by memeresboy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:01 pm

hey did any of u know that if u r brave enough and i mean brave, u can have a job as a wolf breeder, in some areas wolves r trying to be repopulated and this would be the best way to help the wolves, if u can think of anything to help the wolves more that mail me.
Wolves shadow their prey surronding it,
as they circle their mouths begin to water,
the head hunter gives the signal,
and the ground turns red as the prey's life fades away

And a proud member of the EAST RED RIVER PACK

KyuuTsuki
Pup
Pup

Post by KyuuTsuki » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Actually to that last comment there, Breeding wolves is actually im pretty sure illegal in the States, or at least at your home. This would be a great thing to do for work when im in college. It would give me experience needed in canine/exotic animals before Vet school, which i hope to be going to at University of Minnesota or Purdeu, possible even Ohio state. At that point in life where I have to actually think about how im going to get through life >.< Im good so far. Just got to keep up the grades. Ive wanted to work with a wolf sanctuary or refuge for quite some time now, but alas i am not 16 yet only 15 =P almost there!!!
My paradise is in your arms...
Your kiss gives me life...
Hold on to me forever...

The wolves guide my soul...
They control my thoughts...
That she-wolf preys on my heart...
As she feeds, I can't help but smile...

KyuuTsuki
Pup
Pup

Post by KyuuTsuki » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Dang, Forgets what i said above. you has to be 21 to Volunteer ;-; my dream is crushed...lol not reeeaaaly but i still has to wait what seems forever now ;-;
My paradise is in your arms...
Your kiss gives me life...
Hold on to me forever...

The wolves guide my soul...
They control my thoughts...
That she-wolf preys on my heart...
As she feeds, I can't help but smile...

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Very cool Pawnee; I remember going on the International Wolf Center's website and looking at internships and such. I am still a little young, but I will be graduating and going off to college in just a few short years. If I am able to obtain the money, I may be able to go to a college near one of these wolf-related internships, though that may be thinking a little unrealistically xD Ahh, we shall see what happens, though I would be overly happy volunteering for any local zoo with exotic animals^^

Black_Paw1
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: ♥Roaming the woods♥ (1-978-500-4268) <---this is not my number so dont take it plz

Post by Black_Paw1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:43 pm

I go to a career school for Business Management and Design or known as Fashion and Business Management. I have an internship for the rest of the year for vending but i hate is SO much...But the fun part is, is that i get out of my lab :D lol
But if you go to a career school you can do a internship for your program, all of the 18 programs have internships. Was just giving you some information and not trying to sound rude because i hate being rude. :D

That would be FUN to work with WOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are soooo CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

♥Blythe or TwoSocks♥
Last edited by Black_Paw1 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bite my lip...close my eyes...take me away to Paradise!!!!

).........(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\ ♥TwoSocks♥

Wonderer
Pup
Pup

Post by Wonderer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Thats cool!
I'd totally apply there!
Sounds fun to help with the wolves

-carmel
~Among The Sleepless Nights We Roam~

Siage
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Siage » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Mstar101 wrote:
Hiedidog wrote:I would love to do an internship, but unfortunately I do not live in that area or old enough.
Oh, its the same way with me! I don't like it >:(

ME TOO!!! :(
Icon by Songdog
I support the Alliance.
Fromage

Tally
Pup
Pup

Post by Tally » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 pm

pawnee wrote:
Cerbolt wrote:I am guessing its in Canada, hopefully when I get older I can apply there.

All these centres are in the United States. So far there is no internship program for a wolf related program in Canada. The next best thing is to sign up for Youth Rangers program...in which students aged 17 get to work for the Natural Rescources department and get paid. I wish there was one for wolves...
Where can I find out more? You've grabbed my interest!

These internships sound amazing...growing up with these opportunities avaliable is incredible. :D