Wolf Internships

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Wolf Internships

Post by pawnee » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:46 am

I was looking for a job and scrolled through some websites that I thought were intresting.

An Internship is where you basically get trained for a job and gain some expirence. You generally need to be a college or university student and have some money to spend on housing and food. Transportation can also be an issue....

But here are some I found....

International Wolf Center
[The mission of the International Wolf Center is to advance the survival of wolf populations by teaching about wolves, their relationship to wild lands and the human role in their future. The home of the International Wolf Center is in Ely, Minnesota, and is visited by 40,000-50,000 visitors each year. In addition to viewing our resident wolf pack and exploring our award-winning Wolves and Humans Exhibit, visitors also have the opportunity to explore wolf pack habitat through our many outdoor naturalist programs.

The Center offers several wolf education internships throughout the year. Typically internships are offered by the semester, although timing may change depending on programming needs. A degree in environmental education or related field, or prior teaching experience is preferred for the position.

Intern commitment will be 40-45 hours per week, including time on weekends and holidays. Interns are required to have a valid driver's license and social security number. Selection criteria includes education, experience, references, and written statements.

For a complete job description listing principal duties and responsibilities as well as required knowledge, skills and abilities download our Intern Job Description. You need Adobe Acrobat to view this file - download it free here

The goal of this program is to give interns a strong background in wolf information and experience in conveying this information to the public. Interns conduct a variety of indoor and outdoor wolf and wolf-related education programs. Programs may have as few as two or as many as 200 participants and vary in length from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

Summer interns work largely with the general public. Fall, winter, and spring interns will have the opportunity to work with visiting school and scout groups, bus tour groups, family weekends and adult programs. Interns will also contribute to the programming of the Center through special projects and support work. Projects are selected based on the talents and interests of the intern, as well as the current needs of the Center. Other areas of training include program development, scheduling of visiting groups, exhibit cleaning and curation, and possibly time spent in the retail, office, and information departments.

The International Wolf Center provides off-site housing for interns and a $500 per month stipend. Interns will be responsible for providing their own transportation between the International Wolf Center and the off-site intern housing. Interns may share living quarters with other interns

http://www.wolf.org/wolves/aboutus/intern.asp
/quote]

Wolf Park Internships
The practicums and internships offered at Wolf Park are unique opportunities to spend time working at, and being part of the daily life of a facility that keeps captive wolves, and does education programs for the public. While here, participants have the opportunity to study, in depth, the behavior and management of wolves in captivity. Participants in both programs are required to live on the property, unless other arrangements have been approved by Wolf Park.

Practicums usually last a month, although shorter or longer visits can be arranged. Practicums are not required to do any work for Wolf Park. However, many practicum students actually behave like interns, except they spend a shorter period of time at the Park. Other practicums use their time at the park to do research projects on the wolves, or simply to observe the wolves and read and study, and do little or no work for the Park.

The cost for a practicum is currently $530 for stays of up to one month. This fee includes one month's rent in the dormitory and access to research materials. (It does not include food or transportation.)

Anyone who needs a shorter stay than the required three months of an internship (excluding the breeding season internship) is considered a practicum regardless of what they do while at the Park.

Internships last a minimum of three months, although longer stays can sometimes be arranged. Interns are required to work for the Park Interns are also allowed to pursue research projects in their free time. However, since interns work long days, doing research on top of the work load would require a lot of personal initiative. Intern jobs are varied and performed under all types of conditions (extreme cold to extreme heat, rain), and include helping in the office, grounds work, handling animal carcasses, giving tours and working with the public. Interns generally work seven days a week. The program is intense, and only those with enthusiasm, willingness to do anything needed, and stamina should apply. The cost for the internship program is $180 for the first month, and $150 each for the second and third month ($480 for a three-month stay). This fee covers the cost of living in the dormitory. (It does not include food or transportation.) Interns are also given access to reference material such as books and videos.

Wolf Park offers little formal or structured education for practicums or interns. Therefore, participants need to be self motivated, outgoing, and capable of working without close supervision. The practicum program is most useful for people who have definite research or study goals in mind, or for those with limited amount of time available to spend here. Internships are better suited for those who want to possibly dabble in research, explore different aspects of animal-related careers, or those who simply want to experience working for a non-profit, educational organization and learning about wolves. If neither of these educational opportunities interests you or your time is very limited, Wolf Park does offer an assortment of seminars which last only 3-5 days (see our main web site). Visiting students whose time here coincides with a seminar may participate in some seminar lectures, if scheduling permits.

The work schedule for interns at Wolf Park is such that it is impossible to work simultaneously at another job outside the Park. The intense work schedule of interns is not suitable for everyone. But those willing to work long hours are rewarded by a sense of accomplishment, and a feeling of having greatly assisted in the functioning of a non-profit organization. Those who have doubts about working upwards of 55 hours per week for 12 weeks or more, should seriously consider the practicum program, rather than the internship.

Both interns and practicums will get limited opportunities to interact with Wolf Park's resident socialized wolves. However, due to safety concerns, as well as other considerations, this is a very small part of the experience of studying and working at Wolf Park. If your only real interest is in handling wolves, this program is not appropriate for you.

http://www.wolfpark.org/intern.html

Wolf Education and Research Center (WERC) Internships
Thank you for your interest in the Wolf Center Internship Program. The intern positions with the Wolf Center are intended to complement an individual's transition from the academic studies to the professional working environment. Our captive wolf pack resides on a three hundred acre site, leased from the Nez Perce Tribe. The facility is located approximately one mile west of the town of Winchester, Idaho. Our visitor center is primarily an educational facility with the focus on wolves, gray wolf reintroduction in Idaho, the culture and history of the Nez Perce Tribe along with other regional environmental and multi specie issues.

Interns are usually involved with all aspects of the operation of the three hundred acre site. This program has been developed for the college or university student who needs to fulfill certain educational or work experience requirements for graduation. The intern program is typically of a three-month duration but there is some flexibility in this.

Along with the invaluable learning experiences that interns receive in this program, you will also have a unique experience living in a rustic environment. Housing is provided in the form of insulated wall tents that are heated with a wood stove. There is no running water or electricity. Potable water is hauled to the site and meal preparation is done with propane cooking appliances.

http://www.wolfcenter.org/contribute/intern.asp

Hopefully this has offered some info to those intrested in getting their foot in the door when it comes to working with wolves. :mrgreen:
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Wolf Internships

Post by king1-7 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:56 am

That is a helpful little guide there. ^^ Reading that should give people an idea of what they'll need to do to be an intern at a wolf refuge or a similar place.

Thanks for posting! :mrgreen:
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Cerbolt

Post by Cerbolt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:12 pm

I would Apply there, anything to do with Wildlife, I am in.

Hiedidog

Post by Hiedidog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:13 pm

I would love to do an internship, but unfortunately I do not live in that area or old enough.
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

Cerbolt

Post by Cerbolt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:19 pm

I am guessing its in Canada, hopefully when I get older I can apply there.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:31 pm

Cerbolt wrote:I am guessing its in Canada, hopefully when I get older I can apply there.

All these centres are in the United States. So far there is no internship program for a wolf related program in Canada. The next best thing is to sign up for Youth Rangers program...in which students aged 17 get to work for the Natural Rescources department and get paid. I wish there was one for wolves...
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Ivory_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ivory_ » Mon May 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I would SO LOVE to do this, when i was younger i was always signed up for zoo camps and mini interships at vet clinics and wild life rehab centers this sound so awesome, to bad i cant afford it.....
♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦
♥Ivory♦
♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*
♥♦*Council member of The Wolves of the Aurora Borealis♥♦*

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨) Echo - Allura - Lyric
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

♥♦*Avvie by Stonei

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 pm

I know! Most people spend how much money on gas for driving, food, rent and whatnot for jobs all before they even get paid! :D

Ivory_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ivory_ » Wed May 06, 2009 2:27 pm

pawnee wrote:I know! Most people spend how much money on gas for driving, food, rent and whatnot for jobs all before they even get paid! :D
That would be me :? but i dont have much choice :(
♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦
♥Ivory♦
♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*
♥♦*Council member of The Wolves of the Aurora Borealis♥♦*

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨) Echo - Allura - Lyric
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

♥♦*Avvie by Stonei

Mstar101
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mstar101 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Hiedidog wrote:I would love to do an internship, but unfortunately I do not live in that area or old enough.
Oh, its the same way with me! I don't like it >:(
"The gaze of the wolf reaches into our soul."
"Now the hungry lion roars,
And the wolf behowls the moon."
How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."

Avatar by Hoover. Thanks Hoover!

Jetness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jetness » Wed May 27, 2009 2:55 am

My closest wolf centre in down way south. I can go there though. :mrgreen:
silver<3bro
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 am

Duh! I finally know what I want to do when I grow up! Thank you pawnee!

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 am

I think it's excellent that offers and opportunities like this exist. It would be really interesting to interact and work with wolves. I would love to do this.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

dawnfeather1012
Pup
Pup

Post by dawnfeather1012 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:37 pm

I love wolves! Applying for something to help them is something I'll do without stressing about it.
Alpha Female of Silversun
Long Live Silversun and Winter Love Pack!

Fawnir
Pup
Pup

Post by Fawnir » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Go for the one at the Wolf Park. I have been there and it is a wonderful place. Very involved and the wolves are amazing. People who usually take an internship there later come to work there. Or at least that is what they told me.
o0o~Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month for Nov.~o0o
~**~*Avatar by April!~**~*
Proud Member and Scout of the Undine Falls Pack!!